Film Bizarro's Best of {2013} - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Underground Extreme

Underground Extreme For the slightly more extreme viewing choices, including underground gore, torture, viscera, reality death, etc.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Wonderlust
Fairies Wear Boots

Wonderlust is beautifully macabre and uncharacteristically psychotic

Default Film Bizarro's Best of {2013}

Just released yesterday, it's here! One of my favorite end of the year lists. Three of my favorite films made it!

PIECES OF TALENT
Director: Joe Stauffer

Joe Stauffer and David Long's film, "Pieces of Talent" came as a great surprise this year. While the trailer was enticing, it was easy to assume it would be typical low-budget horror fodder. That was not the case at all with the movie, as it is an intelligently and cleverly written piece about obsession and revenge. It's an interesting movie where even the gore and death scenes feel less exploitive and more like an integral part of a story of an artist who goes to great lengths to create his masterpiece. There's a unique style to the movie within the movie that allows "Pieces of Talent" to stand out from the flooded market of low-budget and indie horror movies.

THE RAMBLER
Director: Calvin Reeder

A lot of people that have seen "The Rambler" might stop reading this list here. People seem to hate this movie with a passion! Personally I couldn't believe my luck when a movie I knew nothing about threw me into a roller coaster ride of psychological terror, gooey violence/effects and bad taste comedy. It doesn't seem to give a fuck about anything - yes, it's randomness but it differs from many "trying-too-hard" random movies by actually being entertaining. It's easy to be random, but to be random and actually manage to surprise is rare to me. Perhaps one of the biggest surprises is that Dermot Mulroney acts in a movie where he's puked on by a demon. If you can ignore the lack of story and just enjoy this as a twisted ride (which I luckily did) then I think you've got a weird night ahead of you.

FOUND
Director: Scott Schirmer

Is this a horror movie or social commentary? Sure it brings up racism, dysfuctional families and the likes, but this is definitely a horror movie wearing the performance mask of tragedy. And quite a heavy one as well. It's disturbing, violent and provocative. It's a great addition to horror this year, which has at times seemed to be lacking in heavy-hitting punches. Though the brother wasn't a completely convincing character at times, there are few moments where this isn't a great and very intriguing movie. "Found" is a movie that is already being discussed quite a bit, and I doubt that will be stopping soon.

Heres the link so read on!

http://www.filmbizarro.com/bestof2013.php

Thanks Ronny and Preston <3

I miss you. When this meaningless life is over, I will wander in purgatory for an eternity to search for your soul. We will be reunited one day and we will laugh about how we both had been used for the pleasure of others. We will laugh because we will finally be free.
Wonderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Midnight-Kroovy
The Living Dead

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

I love these lists. Just added The Rambler, Grabbers and Blood Glacier to my rental list.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Splat
Fresh Kill

Splat is basking in the goresomeness that is Extreme Horror Cinema!

I enjoyed Grabbers, was a fun watch!

Loved Pieces of Talent, Found, Coyote and His Devils Night! Was lucky to get access to Coyote from the director, Trevor Juenger, to review for www.extremehorrorcinema.com Star Bill Oberst Jr is a very cool guy I have had the pleasure to communicate with a few times.

www.extremehorrorcinema.com
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
Colonel Cinematic
The Living Dead

Colonel Cinematic is the real Slim Shady.

I've heard almost nobody ever talk about The Rambler, much less include it on any list.

It felt to me like a much more dark and mature film to Calvin Reeder's first film The Oregonian and what worked so well for The Rambler was that it had such a bleak sense of humor throughout that was completely missing from his previous efforts.
Colonel Cinematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Midnight-Kroovy
The Living Dead

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cinematic View Post
I've heard almost nobody ever talk about The Rambler, much less include it on any list.

It felt to me like a much more dark and mature film to Calvin Reeder's first film The Oregonian and what worked so well for The Rambler was that it had such a bleak sense of humor throughout that was completely missing from his previous efforts.
I ended up watching The Rambler but was pretty mixed about it. Some of the effects and set pieces were cool but for a surrealist film it felt a bit shallow and failed to capture my interest.