Blue Jasmine (2013) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #1
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

HorrorMovieFan has no status.

Default Blue Jasmine (2013)

A new film from Woody Allen and starring the superb Cate Blanchett. Anyone watch this yet? Its released this week in selective theatres in the U.S right now, but wont be hitting the theatres here til the 26th.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
RomeroCarpenter Fan
Rotting Corpse

RomeroCarpenter Fan has no status.

some reactions:

Britt Hayes, Esq. ‏@MissBrittHayes 7h
Blue Jasmine is incredible. Cate Blanchett for everything. And Andrew Dice Clay! Who knew?!

Niles Schwartz ‏@nilesfiles 7h
Loved LOVED Woody Allen's BLUE JASMINE

William Goss ‏@williambgoss 7h
Blue Jasmine: like playing Twister with a bundle of raw nerves. Cate Blanchett is staggeringly good

Bud Elder ‏@Bude13 6h
"Blue Jasmine" devastating masterpiece

Kevin Ringgenberg ‏@kdringg 6h
BLUE JASMINE is Woody Allen's WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE. @andrewdiceclay gave my favorite performance along w/ @louisck

Chris Vognar ‏@chrisvognar 6h
No surprise: Cate Blanchett is terrific in "Blue Jasmine." Big surprise: so is Andrew Dice Clay

Georgie Morvis ‏@georgiemorvis 6h
Blue Jasmine was amazing. Cate Blanchett and Sally Hawkins for all the awards

Erick Weber ‏@ErickWeber 4h
Cate Blanchett = Oscar nom for Blue Jasmine

bri mattia ‏@brimattia 3h
Soooo Blue Jasmine made me cry

matt lynch ‏@colonelmortimer 3h
i'm generally in the tank for Allen but i totally did not see BLUE JASMINE coming

Matthew Odam ‏@odam 1h
Cate Blanchett is riveting in BLUE JASMINE. Great supporting cast, as well. One of Woody Allen's darkest films in years

Joey Magidson ‏@JoeyMagidson 22m
Blue Jasmine is a top notch Woody Allen flick, complete with some of the best acting in a film of his in some time

ThePlaylist ‏@ThePlaylist 20m
Believe the hype. Cate Blanchett is on scorching-f'ing-fire in "Blue Jasmine." She's outstanding, wow

The Film Stage ‏@TheFilmStage 10m
Cate Blanchett's performance in Blue Jasmine is one of her best and it's also Woody Allen's most perceptive film in years

Kevin Ketchum ‏@Kevin_Ketchum 3m
Glad to see I'm not alone in thinking Blue Jasmine is a really complex, richly observed film. Lots to chew on and digest
RomeroCarpenter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
RomeroCarpenter Fan
Rotting Corpse

July 22, 2013

Awards Circuit:

I think Cate Blanchett is a lock for an Oscar nomination and could actually win the damn thing for Best Actress. Blanchett is captivating and easily delivers one of the best performances of 2013 so far. Her downward spiral is portrayed brilliantly, never becoming too maudlin or too broadly comedic. You feel for Jasmine, but you never completely grow to like her. It’s a fine line, but Blanchett walks it impeccably. She’s perfect here, but hardly the only one doing impressive work. Sally Hawkins could easily find herself in play for Best Supporting Actress with her grounded performance.

and

Blue Jasmine is high quality Woody Allen, so fans should rejoice and more causal viewers can breathe a sigh of relief. Cate Blanchett is astounding, so her alone is reason enough to see this, but the entire package is very good. This is one of the ten best films of the year so far in my book, so this is a must see folks…

http://www.awardscircuit.com/2013/07...asmine-%c2%bd/
Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

And some tweets....

Marc Malkin ‏@marcmalkin 8h
#cateblanchett in #bluejasmine. Brilliant. Many award noms to come. think women on the verge of nervous breakdown meets grey gardens.

Jess Weixler ‏@jess_weixler 7h
Woody Allen's 'Blue Jasmine' is beautiful. The whole cast is really off the charts.

Don Kaye ‏@donkaye 4h
BLUE JASMINE is Woody Allen's best movie in a long time...I was engrossed from start to finish.

Nicholas DeNitto ‏@NicksMovies 4h
Blue Jasmine was great. Wonderful performances, complex characters, great use of non-linear storytelling. I'll review for Fri
Old 07-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #5
RomeroCarpenter Fan
Rotting Corpse

Christopher Dole ‏@chrisdole86 29m
Blue Jasmine was outstanding. Blanchett gives a tour de force performance.

Scott Feinberg ‏@ScottFeinberg 27m
Cate Blanchett's Blanche DuBois-meets-Ruth Madoff in Woody Allen's BLUE JASMINE is every bit as great as advertised. One of her best perfs.

Christian Brescia ‏@xianthegreat 11m
just saw Blue Jasmine.
If you like woody allen, you will love it. brilliant prose only superseded by even more brilliant acting…

And pics from the LA premiere:

http://www.justjared.com/photo-galle...e-premiere-02/
Old 07-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #6
RomeroCarpenter Fan
Rotting Corpse

Another rave:

One of the greatest living actors and one of the greatest living directors have joined forces, and while that’s not “necessarily” the best of ideas (try watching The Ninth Gate sometime), Cate Blanchett and Woody Allen complement each other perfectly in Blue Jasmine. Allen’s entrancing tale of bitter humor and hopeful tragedy also boasts one of the most beguiling character creations of his career, and Cate Blanchett seems to be operating on an otherworldly level of thespianism. I’d say Blue Jasmine is the performance of her career, but it seems disrespectful to presume she’s incapable of repeating this tour de force in the future. Suffice it to say she’s never been better, and that’s not a statement to make lightly.
Jasmine has lost faith in herself but is unable to countenance betrayal of any kind. Admitting her own failings would very likely destroy her, and the fact that Cate Blanchett can illustrate this psychological horror story and still be funny as hell is one of the great wonders of cinema in 2013. Bolstered as she is by an impeccable supporting cast, subtly evocative photography by Javier Aguirresarobe and frankly, rarely better writing and direction from Woody Allen, the rest of this movie is equally extraordinary.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/reviews/541833
Old 07-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

Damnit!! So excited for this movie, but its only opening in the U.S this weekend. Hope I dont have to wait too long.....
Old 07-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

The Wrap : July 27, 2013

Woody Allen's comedy "Blue Jasmine" is off to a great start.

It brought in $175,991 from six New York and L.A. theaters Friday for an impressive $29,332 per-theater average. That means it will likely take in around $550,000 for the weekend, which would give it a per-theater average north of $90,000 and be the year's best specialty opening ahead of the $87,667 average of "Spring Breakers."

It's an even better start than that of "Midnight in Paris," Allen's 2011 hit that opened to a $28,492 average on six theaters.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
RomeroCarpenter Fan
Rotting Corpse

And another rave:

There are many factors that make "Blue Jasmine" absolute required viewing. The writing, directing and acting are all so good that it results in Woody taking us from comedy to drama so effortlessly within a heartbeat of a moment that he achieves the toughest feat of all: utter believability that we are watching something that feels incredibly real. Not since "Crimes and Misdemeanors" has Woody been able to pull this stunt off. It's fair to say that I was enthralled throughout.
Like all good Woody films, the main attraction here is a performance by a talented actress lucky enough to be given gold to work with, and Cate Blanchett takes the gold and spins it into her own magical screen moment that guarantees her an Oscar nomination for Best Actress. Considering that Woody is the greatest director of women ever, my guess is that Cate will be the prohibitive favorite to win it by the time all of 2013's films have been released. Simply put, Blanchett is magnificent.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Blue-Jasmine.shtml
Old 08-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
RomeroCarpenter Fan
Rotting Corpse

Aug. 1, 2013

More raves:

It’s Allen’s best film in years, an authentic-feeling deconstruction of a life. It isn’t always easy to watch. It isn’t exactly fun (although parts are funny). Blanchett’s performance sometimes overpowers the story. But it’s an essential work in Allen’s later canon.

He’s still got it, in case you were wondering.
All the performances are pretty great. Hawkins, for instance, never disappoints. But Blanchett is beyond that. She is sublime. Along with Michael B. Jordan in “Fruitvale Station,” it’s the best performance this year. She pulls off the neat trick of making her character truly loathsome, a sort of lizard of privilege, but someone who we eventually care about. She will enrage you, and break your heart.

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...nclick_check=1

British actress Sally Hawkins is lovely as the sweet, simple, solid, ordinary sibling. But she is designed to disappear, as is everyone, in Jasmine’s turbulent wake. With her propellers churning hard enough to pull her leather-embossed anchors, Jasmine’s an engine on the verge of seizing — and Blanchett makes sure we hear every sputter and sense every stall.
It’s droll on the surface, but the drum of doom beats deeper because Blue Jasmine is the heiress to all the sorrows of Scarlett O’Hara and Blanche Dubois, her aptly named sisters of classic American fiction. They gave us the red and the white. Blanchett joins their storied ranks by giving us the blue.

http://www.theprovince.com/entertain...630/story.html