13 Year Old Girl To Direct New Slasher Film - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > General Horror Talk

General Horror Talk Does it have something to do with horror? Does it not fit in anywhere else? Post It Here!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
klownz666
Fresh Kill

klownz666 is Just klowning around!

Default 13 Year Old Girl To Direct New Slasher Film

Have you guys heard about this? Over the last couple of days horror fans seem to have just started talking about it more & a few days ago Dread Central posted this article: http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/702...r-flick-carver

I think it will be brilliant if this kid steps in and makes an indie slasher that outdoes half the crap "professional" horror directors serve up these days.

The pitch video is worth checking out, she sells the project well and quite a few people I have been chatting with have put some cash in & been spreading the word.

CARVER--A horror film by 13 year old Emily DiPrimio by Emily & Ron DiPrimio — Kickstarter

Last edited by klownz666; 09-14-2013 at 11:37 PM.
klownz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
kevinb
Fresh Kill

kevinb has no status.

Reminds me of Zombie Girl.
That kid was 12 when she directed her film and her name is also Emily

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Girl-Mo.../dp/B0042KZJN2

Last edited by kevinb; 09-14-2013 at 11:37 AM.
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
klownz666
Fresh Kill

They mention her in the Dread article, I might check it out, this film will have a much larger budget though $25.000 rather than $7.000 & she seems to have the right sort of support as well.

One thing worth pointing out is for $5 you get a download of the film which is dead cheap, I have backed quite a few kickstarters and that is a really good cheap incentive.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Midnight-Kroovy
The Living Dead

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

Don't know what to think about this. Obviously she's a talented girl and I wish her well but it just highlights what a laughing stock the genre can be. It shows that no skill is required and anyone can regurgitate low brow horror cliches and make money.

Also find it annoying that indie filmmakers constantly "celebrate" the genre by imitating everything. If you like Halloween etc. then be influenced by its innovation and ambition. Stop doing cover songs and make your own damn music.

Last edited by Midnight-Kroovy; 09-14-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Midnight-Kroovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
klownz666
Fresh Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
Don't know what to think about this. Obviously she's a talent girl and I wish her well but it just highlights what a laughing stock the genre can be. It shows that no skill is required and anyone can regurgitate low brow horror cliches and make money.

Also find it annoying that indie filmmakers constantly "celebrate" the genre by imitating everything. If you like Halloween etc. then be influenced by its innovation and ambition. Stop doing cover songs and make your own damn music.
I do of course understand where you are coming from but I disagree with the laughing stock thing... I think its great that more people can do things now and also with kickstarters you get to pick indie projects you would personally like to support which is a great thing.

With tribute films I don't mind but they need in my opinion to be able to stand up and kick ass like Adam Green did quite nicely with Hatchet.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
RetroGunslinger
Not Dead Yet

RetroGunslinger is strangely aroused.

Quote:
Preach, brotha! I can't say too much (I just launched a Lovecraft adaptation Kickstarter), but I agree that it is an annoying aspect of the genre. It's especially aggravating when people refer to these films as edgy or smart automatically, despite it being filmmakers working effectively from a template.

EDIT: Also, it says she's co-directing. While I'm sure she is talented, it's not like she's handling a production all by her lonesome. I'm willing to bet she wanted to make a slasher movie and was lucky enough to have plenty of talented folks around her. Again, props to the kid, I wish her luck and I'm glad she's doing something proactive, but it seems like a marketing gimmick.

Last edited by RetroGunslinger; 09-14-2013 at 10:32 AM.
RetroGunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
klownz666
Fresh Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGunslinger View Post
Preach, brotha! I can't say too much (I just launched a Lovecraft adaptation Kickstarter), but I agree that it is an annoying aspect of the genre. It's especially aggravating when people refer to these films as edgy or smart automatically, despite it being filmmakers working effectively from a template.

Keep in mind though this is a 13 year old kid and not your typical type of film maker who wants to ride on the back of other great films just to try and make money.

PM me the details of your kickstarter, I would say post it to me here but I don't want this thread to get to off topic
Old 09-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Midnight-Kroovy
The Living Dead

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klownz666 View Post
I do of course understand where you are coming from but I disagree with the laughing stock thing... I think its great that more people can do things now and also with kickstarters you get to pick indie projects you would personally like to support which is a great thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGunslinger View Post
I don't want to single out this film and I'm a hypocrite to the extent that I watch and own many "imitation" films e.g my slasher collection . But I rather these releases were in the minority not the majority.

The lack of ideas and talented filmmakers scares me. I go to festivals and the volume of unoriginal zombie or slasher shorts is disheartening. Being passionate about horror I feel the duty to flag unoriginal films and give credit to filmmakers that actually have something to say. It's studios that have stinted imagination and innovation so I do love Kickstarter for helping indie filmmakers, I just hope the right projects get backed.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
Se7en
It... Won't... Die...

Se7en is a gigantic penis

Quote:
I don't want to single out this film and I'm a hypocrite to the extent that I watch and own many "imitation" films e.g my slasher collection . But I rather these releases were in the minority not the majority.

The lack of ideas and talented filmmakers scares me. I go to festivals and the volume of unoriginal zombie or slasher shorts is disheartening. Being passionate about horror I feel the duty to flag unoriginal films and give credit to filmmakers that actually have something to say. It's studios that have stinted imagination and innovation so I do love Kickstarter for helping indie filmmakers, I just hope the right projects get backed.
We live with an extremely lazy generation of people and while I'm sure these people who try to pay respect to movies like Halloween and The Blair Witch Project those type of movies are extremely easy to make. I'm not saying the process of making a movie is easy but it doesn't require much creativity to make a slasher or a found footage film. Add on to the fact that they are cheap to make it is super attractive for aspiring filmmakers to come in to try and get their foot in the door through horror.