Horror Media Project - Audience Data Needed - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > General Horror Talk

General Horror Talk Does it have something to do with horror? Does it not fit in anywhere else? Post It Here!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
SlimJimmi
Not Dead Yet

SlimJimmi has no status.

Default Horror Media Project - Audience Data Needed

Hello!

I'm currently an Interactive Media Student who is attending his final year. We have been given the task of working on a project of our choice for the rest of the year. I have located a client who wishes for me to produce a horror themed point-and-click video game for the arcade section of their community website.

I am currently gathering information from my desired target audience. In this case, information from those who are interested in the horror genre. I was wondering if some of you would take the time to answer a few questions for me about what kind of horror elements you enjoy and what you would personally like to see in horror media that would at least convince you to look at that product once.

It's ok if you're not video game players; I wish to gather as much data as possible from various sources that will help me to develop a game with elements and features that would scare or thrill those who enjoy the horror genre. Thank you in advance!

Below are the questions:

Part 1:

1. Is there a type of horror that you enjoy the most? Such as action horror, psychological horror, slasher, monster, etc.

2. Is there a specific reason why you prefer that type of horror?

3. Why do you personally enjoy horror games or films? Please explain in detail, if you're able to.

4. Would you agree that curiosity plays a role in being interested in horror genre media? For example, does the theme of a horror movie or game allow you to feed your curisoity? themes like morality, the afterlife, being stuck in a situation that's beyond your control, survival etc.

5. Would you agree that adrenaline plays a role in enjoying horror films or games? For example, is the adrenaline rush caused by being frightened make the experience better? How big a role does adernaline play in your enjoyment of horror media?

6. What is it about the horror genre that interests you and keeps you coming back for more?

7. Do your own personal fears help you to enjoy a horror game or movie more? do you see it as a way to face your own fears? If you can, and if it is not too personal, could you give an example of some of your fears and how it relates to your enjoyment of the horror genre (if it does)?

8. Do you often play horror video games? if so, what games do you play?

9. Is there a specific reason why you like those games? Is it the story? a gameplay element?atmosphere? etc.

10. Do you often place yourself inside of a horror movie or game? For example, do you like to imagine what you would do in that situation? If you do, why do you imagine yourself in those situations?

11. What has the greatest effect on you: jump scares, where something happens suddenly to frighten you - or atmosphere; where the movie or game builds tension and keeps you on the edge of your seat?

Part Two:

The questions above will help me with designing a 2D Flash game for my client. The genre of this game is "point-and-click", however, it will have a horror theme and storyline.

For those of you who may not know what a point-and-click game is, it is a game that involves the player investigating rooms and areas by using the mouse. For example, you can use the mouse to click on objects in a room. The items that you find in the room will allow you to solve puzzles or uncover more of the storyline.

The game will be 2D with some animation to make it look more dynamic and interesting.

1. If you were going to play a 2D point-and-click horror game, how would you make it frightening? what would you put in it to scare you, personally?

In a 2D game, there are limitations. For example, a designer may only be able to use simple "jump scare" moments, or using sounds to try and make the player scared of something they cannot see yet. This is because the designer would not be able to have creatures or dangers sneak up on the player like they can on a 3D game, such as Resident Evil.

2. Would the use of jump scares or sounds affect your enjoyment of a 2D horror game like the one described above?

3. What kind of puzzles would you like to see in a horror game? What kind of puzzles would convince you to at least try the game?

4. The game I described earlier will have realistic graphics. Do you think realistic graphics would increase the feeling of horror in a game?
SlimJimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Robcbh
Rotting Corpse

Robcbh is convinced we live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity

Part 1:

1. Is there a type of horror that you enjoy the most? Such as action horror, psychological horror, slasher, monster, etc.

Monsters and psychological

Monster can be fun and grotesque and psychological can make you question the human condition which can lead to some dark disturbing things.

3. Why do you personally enjoy horror games or films? Please explain in detail, if you're able to.

hard to put my finger on it, but horror allows for a wide range of exploration into the human mind. To be blunt it can be fun and silly (Evil Dead 2 & Dead Alive) to completely serious and disturbing (Jacobs Ladder)

4. Would you agree that curiosity plays a role in being interested in horror genre media? For example, does the theme of a horror movie or game allow you to feed your curisoity? themes like morality, the afterlife, being stuck in a situation that's beyond your control, survival etc.

Yes, without a doubt. Voyeurism plays a large part of watching horror movies. "What would I do if my son was run over by a car?" ect, ect.

5. Would you agree that adrenaline plays a role in enjoying horror films or games? For example, is the adrenaline rush caused by being frightened make the experience better? How big a role does adernaline play in your enjoyment of horror media?

Yes, but not by a sudden jump scare tactic. Slowly building tension is the way to go to get the ol' adrenalin pumping.

6. What is it about the horror genre that interests you and keeps you coming back for more?

Its range. And i love watching people put in horrible situations because it makes me feel better about my life.

7. Do your own personal fears help you to enjoy a horror game or movie more? do you see it as a way to face your own fears? If you can, and if it is not too personal, could you give an example of some of your fears and how it relates to your enjoyment of the horror genre (if it does)?

I am....dont laugh... terrified of being abducted by aliens. And for what ever reason, I am drawn to watch as much of movies about aliens as I can stomach." Fire in the Sky" for example i tried to watch because the thought terrified me ... but i couldnt bring myself to finish it.

No. But left 4 Dead is a good one. Or Amnesia

9. Is there a specific reason why you like those games? Is it the story? a gameplay element?atmosphere? etc.

L4D gameplay Amnesia, was just scary.

10. Do you often place yourself inside of a horror movie or game? For example, do you like to imagine what you would do in that situation? If you do, why do you imagine yourself in those situations?

Yes, L4D, because i think i am a bad ass that could last in a zombie apocalypse.

11. What has the greatest effect on you: jump scares, where something happens suddenly to frighten you - or atmosphere; where the movie or game builds tension and keeps you on the edge of your seat?

Tension bulding

Part Two:

The questions above will help me with designing a 2D Flash game for my client. The genre of this game is "point-and-click", however, it will have a horror theme and storyline.

For those of you who may not know what a point-and-click game is, it is a game that involves the player investigating rooms and areas by using the mouse. For example, you can use the mouse to click on objects in a room. The items that you find in the room will allow you to solve puzzles or uncover more of the storyline.

The game will be 2D with some animation to make it look more dynamic and interesting.

1. If you were going to play a 2D point-and-click horror game, how would you make it frightening? what would you put in it to scare you, personally?

There would have to be any overall atmosphere of dread, and confusion. Why is this character here, a realistic reason for how he cannot simply run down the street or out the door.

In a 2D game, there are limitations. For example, a designer may only be able to use simple "jump scare" moments, or using sounds to try and make the player scared of something they cannot see yet. This is because the designer would not be able to have creatures or dangers sneak up on the player like they can on a 3D game, such as Resident Evil.

2. Would the use of jump scares or sounds affect your enjoyment of a 2D horror game like the one described above?

Yes, jump scares are okay in the right situation, but only as a layer not as an end in itself. I think most would agree that if a jump scare is present it is a damn good one and makes sense, because it will turn alot of people off if it doesnt work.

3. What kind of puzzles would you like to see in a horror game? What kind of puzzles would convince you to at least try the game?

Honestly, no idea.

4. The game I described earlier will have realistic graphics. Do you think realistic graphics would increase the feeling of horror in a game?

Yes.

I would love to play a agme that takes place in the HP LOVECRAFT mythos, i think a point and click puzzle game would absolutely lend itself to his style of writing and the suspense he's able to build in his short stories.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
horrorking95
Rotting Corpse

horrorking95 is singing Believe! BY CHER!

Send a message via MSN to horrorking95

Slasher.

I find slasher the most entertaining and rewatchable. It can also be incredibly intense, exciting and emotional e.g. Inside.

They give a thrill unlike any other genre. They're generally the most thrilling type of film.

Definitely. It explores dark themes which all humans are interested in.

I love to feel the adrenaline when watching a truly thrilling horror film. It's not a huge role, but it certainly adds to the experience.

It's thrilling, fun and thought-provoking. It can also be emotionally draining which I like a lot when watching films.

No. Personally, I don't watch horror films to face my own fears, just for entertainment.

I play the odd one. I really enjoyed Resident Evil 4 and 5 was pretty good too.

The atmosphere can be very suspenseful, although gameplay can be limited because personally I prefer a lot of action when I play video games, as well as open world games.

I often imagine what I'd do in that situation. I'd put other lives before mine I think.

I prefer tension. Jump scares offer a short shot of adrenaline, whereas atmosphere can leave you on edge for minutes at a time.

I'll try and answer part 2 another time, for time is running away at the mo!

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/
horrorking95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
SlimJimmi
Not Dead Yet

SlimJimmi has no status.

Thank you for answering the questions, these are very helpful for the project!
SlimJimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
horrorking95
Rotting Corpse

horrorking95 is singing Believe! BY CHER!

Send a message via MSN to horrorking95

I think tension needs to be built up to a really shocking jump scare. "The Scary Maze Game" haunted me for weeks! It should be something as terrifying as that.

I think it would make it much scarier as you don't know what's going to happen next. I think jump scares and sound effects are a must.

Hmm, puzzles can frustrate me so it'd need to be funa nd rewarding. I can't think what though at this moment in time.

Definitely. Realism puts you in that situation and you can't escape!

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/
horrorking95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audience, game, horror, movie, questions