Kairo (PULSE) - Page 4 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Foreign Horror

Foreign Horror Discussion for horror films from non US markets

Old 07-28-2008, 12:09 AM   #31
Dead & Messed Up
Fresh Kill

Dead & Messed Up is walking with the dead.

This is easily my favorite of the "Asian Wave," mostly due to Kurosawa's complete mastery of tone and camera. The characters aren't that deep, I'll admit, but they're easily likeable, and I care enough about them that I fear for their safety. What I love is how the film plays like a eulogy for the human race, especially in the final twenty minutes, where everything is empty and barren. Shyamalan's The Happening owes a debt to this flick.

I watched Kurosawa's Cure today, and I enjoyed it as well, although it didn't hit me in the same way Pulse did. Above-average and creepy, but a little rote with the detective/killer dynamic, and the somewhat predictable ending.
03/04/12 - Review: The Video Dead (Robert Scott)
Dead & Messed Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:49 AM   #32
Sethcanes
Not Dead Yet

Sethcanes has no status.

This is probably one of my favorite movies of all time, and one of the few that managed to keep me scared after I was finished watching it. My friends don't get it though, only one of them actually likes it and she doesn't think it's scary at all.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #33
ermine
Not Dead Yet

ermine has no status.

I thought it was dull to watch but the ideas behind it was what had me held. The being so afraid of aloneness but still unable to connect , not even after death and the end of the world because of technology. That story made me look forwards to the sequel, I regret that now...
ermine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #34
jarofsap
I Eat Brains!

jarofsap is an anteater

thought this was a great asian ghost horror. just the fact that it stood out against the hundreds of others just like it. it was a bit long, and occasionally slow, but it was effectively creepy, and never lost me with goofy CGI or stupid plot twists. I have no intention on seeing the remake.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #35
Morzongo
Not Dead Yet

Morzongo is awaiting for Kike Maillo's "EVA"

The first one wasn't very good, I don't understand why to do another one. It also wasn't so succesful.
Morzongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #36
horrorking95
Rotting Corpse

horrorking95 is singing Believe! BY CHER!

Send a message via MSN to horrorking95

I realy liked Pulse. I can see why people get bored by it because it is incredibly slow and if ghosts do nothing for you then this is sure to be a good sleeping pill. However, ghosts do something for me and the pacing helped to build up the tense atmosphere. I don't know about anyone else but that wobbly ghost scared the hell out of me! I got chills every where! The ghost at the end did the same to me too!

It's very effective and just looking at the remake trailer completely demonstrates the difference between Japanese ghost films and American ones!

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/
horrorking95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #37
GL84
Fresh Kill

GL84 is looking for a reason to update his status

Never cared for this one at all. Overlong, not all that interesting and quite dull for the most part, especially since I'm about as clueless as an infant when it comes to technology (I can master turning on a computer, getting online, opening a word document and getting into the music player/library there, but that's about it) so this one just flew right over my head most of the time, and that's not a good sign. Some of the ghost stuff was okay, but overall, I didn't really think it was all that good, but I fear I wasn't the audience for this as was explained earlier.

Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet soup?

Most people are like slinkies: not really good for anything but you can't help laughing as one falls down the stairs.
GL84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #38
Se7en
It... Won't... Die...

Se7en is blazin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL84 View Post
Never cared for this one at all. Overlong, not all that interesting and quite dull for the most part, especially since I'm about as clueless as an infant when it comes to technology (I can master turning on a computer, getting online, opening a word document and getting into the music player/library there, but that's about it) so this one just flew right over my head most of the time, and that's not a good sign. Some of the ghost stuff was okay, but overall, I didn't really think it was all that good, but I fear I wasn't the audience for this as was explained earlier.
What does knowing about technology have to do with enjoying this film?

I think Pulse is one of the greatest movies of the 2000's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Attention whore.

I've said it a couple times before, and I'll say it again. There is only one Oxley, and you ain't him bub. Quit feigning crazy. It's getting pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek View Post
Se7en...STFU. Stop trying to out stupid Oxley. Oxley is actually amusing with his craziness.

You're just a bland and dull rip off.
Se7en is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #39
GL84
Fresh Kill

GL84 is looking for a reason to update his status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
What does knowing about technology have to do with enjoying this film?

I think Pulse is one of the greatest movies of the 2000's.
Being corrupted through technology is a foreign concept for me. I know little about it. Like I said before, there's little I know about computers and the various programs and such to operate them, I don't own a cell-phone and I've never sent a text or instagram'd at all in my life, so those are all totally alien to me. Because this one focuses so heavily on saying the ghostly hauntings are caused by such means, I don't have any knowledge of what's going on when they start going off with all the computer babble and technological happenings that's portrayed in this one. It's heavily focused on an area I know nothing about.

Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet soup?

Most people are like slinkies: not really good for anything but you can't help laughing as one falls down the stairs.
GL84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #40
Se7en
It... Won't... Die...

Se7en is blazin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL84 View Post
Being corrupted through technology is a foreign concept for me. I know little about it. Like I said before, there's little I know about computers and the various programs and such to operate them, I don't own a cell-phone and I've never sent a text or instagram'd at all in my life, so those are all totally alien to me. Because this one focuses so heavily on saying the ghostly hauntings are caused by such means, I don't have any knowledge of what's going on when they start going off with all the computer babble and technological happenings that's portrayed in this one. It's heavily focused on an area I know nothing about.
But the technology aspect of Pulse isn't even the focal point of the film. It wouldn't have been any scarier if you did understand what was going on since being corrupted through technology is, like, impossible.

I do understand why some wouldn't like the movie, but I don't see how your complaints are relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Attention whore.

I've said it a couple times before, and I'll say it again. There is only one Oxley, and you ain't him bub. Quit feigning crazy. It's getting pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek View Post
Se7en...STFU. Stop trying to out stupid Oxley. Oxley is actually amusing with his craziness.

You're just a bland and dull rip off.
Se7en is online now   Reply With Quote