Kairo (PULSE) - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Foreign Horror

Foreign Horror Discussion for horror films from non US markets

Old 06-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #21
AnneGwish
Rotting Corpse

AnneGwish is right on.

Send a message via AIM to AnneGwish Send a message via MSN to AnneGwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_stroppy
Oh, no shit? Ah, that's crappy news...I was hoping he'd turned back to what he does best after the disappointing Doppelganger and Bright Future. Damn.
He's right. I've heard that as well. Disappointing really. I was so looking forward to it. I enjoyed Doppleganger and Bright Future but I enjoy his take on horror more than anything else he's done. I'll still see it but my hopes have definitely been taken down a few notches.

The Obligatory DVD List - I'm not a trader. Just a show-off.

"The three most terrifying things in the world are werewolves, clowns and unplanned pregnancy."
AnneGwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #22
N2NOther
BANNED

N2NOther has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_stroppy
Oh, no shit? Ah, that's crappy news...I was hoping he'd turned back to what he does best after the disappointing Doppelganger and Bright Future. Damn.
I heard that it's really silly and funny when it's not supposed to be...The trailer made it look awesome though...
N2NOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #23
Exploitation666
Not Dead Yet

Exploitation666 has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdream71
I just watched this last nite and i have to say this was one of the most boring and useless pieces of shit i've seen in a long time, there was absolutely NOTHING scary or disturbing about this movie, i can't believe i wasted almost 2 hours watching this crap. I pray to God the USA remake is better, from the previews i've seen it definitely looks to be.

go ahead flame away.....
Thank god, I'm not the only one who didnt care about that one. Maybe I was expecting too much out of it. Not a big fan. The US remake just has to be better.

oh and you can flame me too.

I know theres tons of fans of that movie.
Exploitation666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #24
relsh
Send... More... Paramedics

relsh has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NOther
Good idea, and a very weak execution...I didn't find it scary or creepy after about 1/3 of the way through...

funny....because that's when it starts to become a good film (at the third point) and stops being a derivative bore.

just saw this today, and overall i thought it was very good. at first, i thought i was in store for another boring film like ju-on and ringu.....all surface scares, no substance. luckily, i was wrong. the message is hardly original, but the execution of the message was nice...from an evil technology/ghost story to an interesting "end of the world" flick.....with an ending that was perfect (and also makes sense of many of the earlier "suicides"). i can't imagine life in japan is that alienating...but the notion that it is makes the genesis for some interesting horror films.

kind of like a restrained/precise supernatural version of Suicide Club....good stuff.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:10 PM   #25
N2NOther
BANNED

N2NOther has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relsh
funny....because that's when it starts to become a good film (at the third point) and stops being a derivative bore.
It becomes interesting, but not scary...Which is my point...

Quote:
just saw this today, and overall i thought it was very good. at first, i thought i was in store for another boring film like ju-on and ringu.....all surface scares, no substance. luckily, i was wrong. the message is hardly original, but the execution of the message was nice...from an evil technology/ghost story to an interesting "end of the world" flick.....with an ending that was perfect (and also makes sense of many of the earlier "suicides"). i can't imagine life in japan is that alienating...but the notion that it is makes the genesis for some interesting horror films.
I was unimpressed with the execution...
N2NOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #26
gore_grind
Rotting Corpse

gore_grind has no status.

Kairo was decent, but it's not one of favorites by any means...
I think the pacing was off, the characters were really thin, and it got way too ahead of itself, especially near the end of the film...

The underlying messages were quite interesting, but it wasn't enough to make me want to go back to it often...I think it was due for a remake.

That being said, I'm sure much of what made the original more than just a techno-ghost story will be lost in translation...
gore_grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:18 PM   #27
Jayy
It... Won't... Die...

Jayy is in bed with Lindy Booth aboard the Sulaco.

I didn't care much about seeing this after watching the trailer. I don't really like Kristin Bell either. I'll end up waiting for the DVD of this movie.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:36 AM   #28
Dugath
Fresh Kill

Dugath has no status.

Me and my GF watched this last night.. after 1 hour we agreeed to turn it off, we both found it very boring. I did not find it very scary, spooky, creepy and to be honest not very entertaining.
Dugath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:51 PM   #29
trinidadpr87
Rotting Corpse

trinidadpr87 has no status.

Kairo was alright, a little hard to understand but it was creepy.I'll probably go see Pulse because it has Kristen Bell in it.

trinidadpr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #30
asinyne
Fresh Kill

asinyne has no status.

Send a message via Skype™ to asinyne

Agreed, this film isn't for everyone. I definitely understand when people think it's too slow. At the same time, I believe the pacing is integral to the overall effect of the film. In a way, I think this movie could almost be some kind of companion to Diary of the Dead; at least to the ideas Romero was trying to get across.

Technology has become a huge staple in present-day life. We rely on it too willingly (Diary) and because of this we aren't relying on each other and actual physical relationship (Kairo).

I didn't find this movie scary so much as chilling, a sort of cautionary tale that we are becoming to infatuated with technology. I found this to be better than Ju-On or Ringu (not that either were bad). I'd say that Kairo and A Tale of Two Sisters are among my favorite Asian horror films ever (The Host, Oldboy, any animes, they don't count).