Life Of Pi (2012) - Page 2 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #11
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxley View Post
Looks like a CGI filled shitfest.
If you don't like CGI just don't watch it.

And I know you hate CGI. But this is 2013. Time to adapt, my friend.

edit

Don't just focus on the visuals... this movie has a truly great story to tell. Life affirming.

2nd edit

I know you love Prometheus. Prometheus has far more CGI than this movie.

Last edited by The Revelator; 02-17-2013 at 03:16 AM.
The Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:24 AM   #12
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs

Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.

Send a message via MSN to Oxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
If you don't like CGI just don't watch it.

And I know you hate CGI. But this is 2013. Time to adapt, my friend.

edit

Don't just focus on the visuals... this movie has a truly great story to tell. Life affirming.
It just looks like having CG though for the sake of having it. I mean, the tiger, 24/7. Reallllyyyyy needed?

I don't mind CG when done right (in moderation) but it even looks tacky. I mean, the whale scene, it just makes me go "Fuck that looks like ass". I've seen better CG than that, the Aliens in District 9 for example. I understand that was likely motion capture though. Where as this wasn't.

2nd edit

Quote:
I know you love Prometheus. Prometheus has far more CGI than this movie.
I'm just going to pretend you didn't say that.

Scott also pushes to have whatever doesn't need to be CG, not CG. Much like Nolan. And again, the CG in Promethues is more 'subtle' and doesn't look 'synthetic' like everything I've seen from Pi. Apart from that huge ass Facehugger thing.

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlust View Post
Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
My little idiot..
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:32 AM   #13
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Quote:
It just looks like having CG though for the sake of having it. I mean, the tiger, 24/7. Reallllyyyyy needed?

I don't mind CG when done right (in moderation) but it even looks tacky. I mean, the whale scene, it just makes me go "Fuck that looks like ass". I've seen better CG than that, the Aliens in District 9 for example. I understand that was likely motion capture though. Where as this wasn't.

2nd edit

I'm just going to pretend you didn't say that.

Scott also pushes to have whatever doesn't need to be CG, not CG. Much like Nolan. And again, the CG in Promethues is more 'subtle' and doesn't look 'synthetic' like everything I've seen from Pi. Apart from that huge ass Facehugger thing.
The whale scene is like 60 seconds long, and seen on the big screen or even in HD it looks out-fucking-standing. Also plays a very cool part in the story. Don't judge it by the trailer, it is truly awe-inspiring to see. Especially in context of the story.

This movie doesn't have CGI for the sake of having it... its a larger than life story set on planet earth, not on LV-223. It is a "fantasy" movie, and yet is meant to be set in a tangible, real-life world. I don't want to say more, because I may spoil some of the twists in the story.

95% of the Tiger is not CGI, but some of the close-up shots are, but they are done exceedingly well. A major portion of the movie is Richard Parker (the tiger) and Pi having to cooperate in order to survive. I couldn't comprehend having a real person interacting with a live Bengal tiger in close proximity, so the use of CGI in certain parts is understanding. Also, the CGI is impressive and worthy of praise. None of it seems artificial.

For the record, I like Prometheus more than this movie. But Promtheus is a far more artificial film than this. Don't be so hasty, just check it out. It is truly fantastic.

edit

I was like you before seeing this... I was expecting a non-stop onslaught of CGI like in Avatar (liek I said just a few posts ago) but I was surprised with how real and believable the whole thing was. It is so much more than that.

Last edited by The Revelator; 02-17-2013 at 03:35 AM.
The Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #14
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs

Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.

Send a message via MSN to Oxley

Quote:
The whale scene is like 60 seconds long, and seen on the big screen or even in HD it looks out-fucking-standing. Also plays a very cool part in the story. Don't judge it by the trailer, it is truly awe-inspiring to see. Especially in context of the story.

This movie doesn't have CGI for the sake of having it... its a larger than life story set on planet earth, not on LV-223. It is a "fantasy" movie, and yet is meant to be set in a tangible, real-life world. I don't want to say more, because I may spoil some of the twists in the story.

95% of the Tiger is not CGI, but some of the close-up shots are, but they are done exceedingly well. A major portion of the movie is Richard Parker (the tiger) and Pi having to cooperate in order to survive. I couldn't comprehend having a real person interacting with a live Bengal tiger in close proximity, so the use of CGI in certain parts is understanding. Also, the CGI is impressive and worthy of praise. None of it seems artificial.

For the record, I like Prometheus more than this movie. But Promtheus is a far more artificial film than this. Don't be so hasty, just check it out. It is truly fantastic.
I'll likely see it, I'll just have to try and stay more focused on the story, rather then visuals. As CG visuals don't impress me all that much, or, at all really.

And I'm not the biggest fan of how the Ocean looks so visually it won't be as appealing, but I'd be lying if I said the story didn't have my interest.

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlust View Post
Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
My little idiot..
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #15
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Quote:
I'll likely see it, I'll just have to try and stay more focused on the story, rather then visuals. As CG visuals don't impress me all that much, or, at all really.

And I'm not the biggest fan of how the Ocean looks so visually it won't be as appealing, but I'd be lying if I said the story didn't have my interest.
The story goes in places you probably aren't expecting it to go. By the end I was pretty shocked with how they chose to conclude the entire ordeal.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #16
Santa
The Necromancer

Santa is stronger than the foundations of the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
So whats ur problem with Ang Lee and his movies?
Crouching Tiger was his last memorable film. The schmaltz, heartbreak and emotional shitfest called Brokefuck Mountain just broke my heart - what was he thinking?! I admire and love Crouching Tiger, Taking Woodstock is ok too, but I just refuse to watch things like Pi. The trailer really scared me off, I only said to myself please, not again. It felt like Lee's turn on a feelgood movie just like Danny Boyles attempt with Slumfuck Millionaire, that comparison popped instantly up. Just another how do I find meaning in this life movie, filled with pseudo-philosophical tracts, bloated with tons of CGI. If I really want to be challenged in that league, I will prefer Triers Melancholia or Wim Wenders Wings Of Desire - more content with less needless CGI, which only distracts from the message itself.
Quote:
Looks like a CGI filled shitfest.
Quote:
It just looks like having CG though for the sake of having it.
A few reasons not to watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll
I would jizz on you if I were a man. I would jizz on everything if I had a penis for one day. Oh man I bet that feels so good. You guys are so lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonia
I like to skip dessert and get right down to relaxing after a meal with a hot bath and a facial.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Sangre View Post
Crouching Tiger was his last memorable film. The schmaltz, heartbreak and emotional shitfest called Brokefuck Mountain just broke my heart - what was he thinking?! I admire and love Crouching Tiger, Taking Woodstock is ok too, but I just refuse to watch things like Pi. The trailer really scared me off, I only said to myself please, not again. It felt like Lee's turn on a feelgood movie just like Danny Boyles attempt with Slumfuck Millionaire, that comparison popped instantly up. Just another how do I find meaning in this life movie, filled with pseudo-philosophical tracts, bloated with tons of CGI. If I really want to be challenged in that league, I will prefer Triers Melancholia or Wim Wenders Wings Of Desire - more content with less needless CGI, which only distracts from the message itself.

A few reasons not to watch it.
Ah... well I agree about Slumdog Millionare. Horridly and disgustingly overrated piece of mediocracy.

I absolutely love Brokeback Mountain though. To each his own.

This movie isn't really schmaltzy at all... It is a lot more emotional than I think you're willing to give it credit for. This is an extremely entertaining story of survival... with an intriguing and thought provoking twist at the end. I don't want to ruin it, I recommend finding out for yourself. It isn't like slow motion running toward his loved ones hugging them. Nothing silly like that... Honestly you have the completely wrong idea of what this is.

Also, the special effects are easily the best I've seen this year. Better than the Hobbit and Prometheus. It will win the Oscar next weekend for visual effects, and it deserves to. It isn't an endless wave of effects, everything is tasteful.

I do love Melancholia and Wings of Desire, but they are completely different from this. Comparing them isn't fair. Life of Pi isn't asking as big or troubling of questions that those movies are.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
nancylives!
The Living Dead

nancylives! is living!

a sublime book turned into a gorgeous movie. love both incarnations.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #19
RomeroCarpenter Fan
Rotting Corpse

RomeroCarpenter Fan has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
"Life Of Pi"......Oh where to begin here? First off the spiritual themes are simple and deep and raise more questions about faith and belief than answer anything. It's a wonderful story about storytelling and how telling our stories can get us through the most horrible life experiences and to help deal with the aftermath of them. There are some very moving scenes, and they brought me to tears. The movie is beautifully shot and I was also impressed with the main 2 performances. Suraj Sharma as teen "Pi" is charming, funny, and pretty solid, while Irrfan Khan as the older "Pi" was fantastically genuine and warm. Adil Hussain as Pi's "father" was also a joy to watch and had a pivotal supporting role. The characters are so rich and full of life and the movie is very character driven. The special effects are top notch. The animators did a wonderful and accurate job of bringing "Richard Parker" to life and making him the active and vital character that is so incredibly essential to the success of this story. Terrific cinematography and art direction, solid music score, and fantastic direction by Ang Lee also highlight the movie. Nominated for 11 Academy Awards including Best Picture!!

9/10
they should have casted a bit of a better actor for young adult pi. also think the island with all the groundhogs or whatever was a bit weird too. other than that, this was a pretty stellar movie.

(8/10)
RomeroCarpenter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #20
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Blu-ray will be out in 2 weeks!!! It will be a gorgeous transfer, no-doubt.

First screencap I found... I may get the 3D release if it comes with a standard 2d release as well. My parents have a 3D tv so if I visit I often exploit that

I love Richard Parker. So much.