Life Of Pi (2012) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet


Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!
 
HorrorMovieFan's Avatar
HorrorMovieFan has no status.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,056
Default Life Of Pi (2012)

"Life Of Pi"......Oh where to begin here? First off the spiritual themes are simple and deep and raise more questions about faith and belief than answer anything. It's a wonderful story about storytelling and how telling our stories can get us through the most horrible life experiences and to help deal with the aftermath of them. There are some very moving scenes, and they brought me to tears. The movie is beautifully shot and I was also impressed with the main 2 performances. Suraj Sharma as teen "Pi" is charming, funny, and pretty solid, while Irrfan Khan as the older "Pi" was fantastically genuine and warm. Adil Hussain as Pi's "father" was also a joy to watch and had a pivotal supporting role. The characters are so rich and full of life and the movie is very character driven. The special effects are top notch. The animators did a wonderful and accurate job of bringing "Richard Parker" to life and making him the active and vital character that is so incredibly essential to the success of this story. Terrific cinematography and art direction, solid music score, and fantastic direction by Ang Lee also highlight the movie. Nominated for 11 Academy Awards including Best Picture!!

9/10
__________________
HorrorMovieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Santa
The Necromancer
 
Santa's Avatar
Santa is stronger than the foundations of the earth
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dol Guldur
Posts: 11,866
Default



Ang Lee...this director made Coruching Tiger Hidden Dragon. And now this. C'mon, man.
__________________
"I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
Scott Vogel from Terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll
I would jizz on you if I were a man. I would jizz on everything if I had a penis for one day. Oh man I bet that feels so good. You guys are so lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonia
I like to skip dessert and get right down to relaxing after a meal with a hot bath and a facial.
Santa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Caustic Coffee
Abuser of Power
 
Caustic Coffee's Avatar
Caustic Coffee is the I in team.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 13,799
Default

The book was awesome, but I'll wait till this hits Netflix Instant.
Caustic Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator
 
The Revelator's Avatar
The Revelator is tired
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: outside the wall
Posts: 13,273
Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Sangre View Post


Ang Lee...this director made Coruching Tiger Hidden Dragon. And now this. C'mon, man.


This movie is incredibly good. Well deserving of every nomination.
__________________
The Revelator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!
 
HorrorMovieFan's Avatar
HorrorMovieFan has no status.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Sangre View Post


Ang Lee...this director made Coruching Tiger Hidden Dragon. And now this. C'mon, man.
So whats ur problem with Ang Lee and his movies?
__________________
HorrorMovieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!
 
HorrorMovieFan's Avatar
HorrorMovieFan has no status.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post

This movie is incredibly good. Well deserving of every nomination.
Very true. But no review on it?
__________________
HorrorMovieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator
 
The Revelator's Avatar
The Revelator is tired
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: outside the wall
Posts: 13,273
Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
Very true. But no review on it?
Here are some thoughts after a few days of thinking about it.

First of all, it was nothing like I had expected it to be. I was expecting a much more melodramatic survival movie. My girlfriend and myself were kind of confused on why he wasn't on a boat after 30 minutes of the movie. Not that we were bored, but it was definitely going in a direction we weren't expecting. Of course, everything from the beginning comes full circle and is used to reinforce the ideas about spiritualism that Ang Lee was getting across.

Another thing, this movie is drop dead gorgeous. I didn't get to see it in 3d, but that didn't really take away from the amazing visuals. Having read some reviews that compared it to "Avatar" I was expecting a more shallow movie that relied heavily on visuals, but it was kind of a mix of awesome effects and a heavy hitting story. I was especially touched by the relationship Pi develops with Richard Parker, I was rooting for them the whole time. The last 15 minutes or so of this movie knocked me on my ass, and it made me think of the entire movie in a completely different way. Very emotional and thought-provoking.

All performances were outstanding, and I was surprised with how much depth the movie had. Loved it. I give it a 10/10 and it stands as my 3rd favorite movie nominated for the Best Picture award this year (after Django Unchained and Silver Lining's Playbook).
__________________
The Revelator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Deadly Fiend
Demigod
 
Deadly Fiend's Avatar
Deadly Fiend has no status.
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 20,868
Default

Great movie! In my top 10 films of last year.
__________________
2014 Horror Draft
1. Found
2. The Hills Run Red
3. Humongous
4. Deadly Eyes
5. The Den
6. Rabid Grannies
7. The Revenant
8. Presidentís Day
9. Evilspeak
10. The Outing

DVD Collection / Letterboxd
Deadly Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!
 
HorrorMovieFan's Avatar
HorrorMovieFan has no status.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
Here are some thoughts after a few days of thinking about it.

First of all, it was nothing like I had expected it to be. I was expecting a much more melodramatic survival movie. My girlfriend and myself were kind of confused on why he wasn't on a boat after 30 minutes of the movie. Not that we were bored, but it was definitely going in a direction we weren't expecting. Of course, everything from the beginning comes full circle and is used to reinforce the ideas about spiritualism that Ang Lee was getting across.

Another thing, this movie is drop dead gorgeous. I didn't get to see it in 3d, but that didn't really take away from the amazing visuals. Having read some reviews that compared it to "Avatar" I was expecting a more shallow movie that relied heavily on visuals, but it was kind of a mix of awesome effects and a heavy hitting story. I was especially touched by the relationship Pi develops with Richard Parker, I was rooting for them the whole time. The last 15 minutes or so of this movie knocked me on my ass, and it made me think of the entire movie in a completely different way. Very emotional and thought-provoking.

All performances were outstanding, and I was surprised with how much depth the movie had. Loved it. I give it a 10/10 and it stands as my 3rd favorite movie nominated for the Best Picture award this year (after Django Unchained and Silver Lining's Playbook).
Thank you for your thoughts.
__________________
HorrorMovieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs
 
Oxley's Avatar
Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Bates Motel, Australia
Posts: 22,607
Send a message via MSN to Oxley
Default

Looks like a CGI filled shitfest.
__________________
"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain





"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler


Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlust View Post
Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
My little idiot..
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-Present BLOODY-DISGUSTING LLC