PS4 To Be Unveiled Feb 20th, 2013 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Don't Be A Nerd

Don't Be A Nerd Computers, Video Games, Technology... that sort of stuff

Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Frey
BANNED

Frey is here to fulfill Ra's Al Ghul's destiny!

Send a message via Yahoo to Frey
Default PS4 To Be Unveiled Feb 20th, 2013

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...180041980.html

I am not the least bit impressed, in fact I am quite annoyed. Whenever I decide to update to a next gen console I think I might switch to xbox.
Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Why are you annoyed?

Personally, I don't see any need for new consoles just yet. They're still selling like crazy, and the technology isn't all that dated, when compared to other generations of gamng. The games still look and play really good to me. Even when I look at a game like "Watch Dogs", which is supposedly next-gen, it doesn't exactly blow me the fuck away.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Frey
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Why are you annoyed?
Because there will apparently be no backwards compatability and you cant play used games or you have to buy a code to play them. I think its stupid because I think PS3 is great as is right now like you said and I dont find it neccesary to spend an assload for so ething not much better than what isalready out there.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey View Post
Because there will apparently be no backwards compatability and you cant play used games or you have to buy a code to play them. I think its stupid because I think PS3 is great as is right now like you said and I dont find it neccesary to spend an assload for so ething not much better than what isalready out there.
Well, to be fair, I think Sony is under a lot of pressure these days. I think the PS3 is the only profitable property they have at the moment, and they've probably lost millions with the Vita. They need to do something drastic, to turn their fortunes around.

As for backwords compatability,....meh. I used to think it was a big deal, but in all honesty, I never really used it this generation. I think I played a bit of KOTOR on my 360, but that's about it. I just keep my old systems on an older TV, and I'm all set for nostalgia. Anything you play on an HDTV from last gen or earlier, looks like complete dogshit.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
zaglewiz
I Eat Brains!

zaglewiz is pretty,pretty....pretty good.

Send a message via AIM to zaglewiz Send a message via Yahoo to zaglewiz

Quote:
Why are you annoyed?

Personally, I don't see any need for new consoles just yet. They're still selling like crazy, and the technology isn't all that dated, when compared to other generations of gamng. The games still look and play really good to me. Even when I look at a game like "Watch Dogs", which is supposedly next-gen, it doesn't exactly blow me the fuck away.
I'm with ya on not needing to update just yet.

Quote:
You already have to buy a code for games like WWE13, Battlefield 3, etc to play online and the price usually falls around 10 bucks or so. I honestly hope they do do away with used games. A majority of the games I buy are mostly used. I buy the big titles like Battlefield, Call of Duty, and the WWE games being that I like those types of fighting games but games like Gears, Dishonored, etc I usually wait till the price drops around the 30 dollar and under range being that I'm playing them mostly just for the story and all that.

Quote:
Well, to be fair, I think Sony is under a lot of pressure these days. I think the PS3 is the only profitable property they have at the moment, and they've probably lost millions with the Vita. They need to do something drastic, to turn their fortunes around.

As for backwords compatability,....meh. I used to think it was a big deal, but in all honesty, I never really used it this generation. I think I played a bit of KOTOR on my 360, but that's about it. I just keep my old systems on an older TV, and I'm all set for nostalgia. Anything you play on an HDTV from last gen or earlier, looks like complete dogshit.
When I hook up my NES, SNES, or Genesis to an HD tv for some reason it cuts off a good chunk of the screen. As for PS2 I don't see any problem with the picture or anything.

Last edited by zaglewiz; 02-02-2013 at 09:11 AM.
zaglewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaglewiz View Post
When I hook up my NES, SNES, or Genesis to an HD tv for some reason it cuts off a good chunk of the screen. As for PS2 I don't see any problem with the picture or anything.
I find the picture to be very low-res. God Of War 2, and a couple others have some extra options for to make the picture look smoother on an HDTV(progressive scan, etc), but most don't. But yeah, PS2 and N64 games don't look all that bad. PS1 and earlier, look absolutely terrible.

It's really only the PS3 and 360 though. The old games I have on my Wii look fine. Even the 8-bit games.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Frey
BANNED

On the subject of used games, what would stores such as Gamestop do if they did away with used games? A large chunk of their income comes from buying and selling used games. They could possibly go bankrupt. I also think its ridiculous to pay extra to play online. You spend a lot for the system and the games so why pay more? I think thats pretty damn greedy if I might say so myself.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Shoggoth
The Living Dead

Shoggoth is in a land of confusion

I am not entirely pleased with the way the gaming industry is going as a whole. I spend a lot of time playing Gamecube, as that was my favorite console era, and I just went out and about myself an NES game, so I often feel like I am stuck in the past. Generally the games of this era that appeal to me most are the arcade or downloadable titles. Truth is though, I don't own any of the current gen consoles, so maybe I would feel differently about it if I did. I may pick up a 360 soon just to give myself some extended time with it.

Wii U second screen? Meh

XBox Illumiroom? Meh

Sony bandwagoning everything? Meh
Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
Frey
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoggoth View Post
I am not entirely pleased with the way the gaming industry is going as a whole. I spend a lot of time playing Gamecube, as that was my favorite console era, and I just went out and about myself an NES game, so I often feel like I am stuck in the past. Generally the games of this era that appeal to me most are the arcade or downloadable titles. Truth is though, I don't own any of the current gen consoles, so maybe I would feel differently about it if I did. I may pick up a 360 soon just to give myself some extended time with it.

Wii U second screen? Meh

XBox Illumiroom? Meh

Sony bandwagoning everything? Meh
Its not about living in the past, its about playing the games you like. I like good graphics and all but I like the story and gameplay far more. Sure there have been some good games to come out for Playstation, Xbox, and Wii over the last while but in the end I prefer the NES/SNES/Genesis era the most. In fact I really want to get ahold of one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=400255705839
Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
Shoggoth
The Living Dead

Shoggoth is in a land of confusion

Quote:
Its not about living in the past, its about playing the games you like. I like good graphics and all but I like the story and gameplay far more. Sure there have been some good games to come out for Playstation, Xbox, and Wii over the last while but in the end I prefer the NES/SNES/Genesis era the most. In fact I really want to get ahold of one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=400255705839
They sell those at my local used game store. I love living where I do because there are so many independent used game, movie and book stores it is crazy.

I thoroughly enjoy a good story in a game as well, but if the gameplay isn't there to back it up then fuck it. That is the problem I have with most games today. They focus on huge set pieces and some watered down story and deliver 6-8 hours of incredibly mediocre gameplay. I recently bought Metroid Prime 2 at a thrift store and am enjoying the fuck out of it. The story is nonsense, but the gameplay and adventure is top notch.

This video expresses a lot of my feelings about things these days

To circle this back around to the PS4, I will be interested to see what ideas they come up with but I have no intention of purchasing any next gen console. If I had the cash I would take a badass PC over a console.