The Impossible (2012) - Page 2 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator has no status.

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenandtwisted View Post
Nah. She didn't get the SAG, she might not have Academy support. I'd bet on it.
She's won far more precursor awards. Its either Lawrence or Chastain. All others are wayyyy far behind.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

Just got back. Boy, what a chore to get through. Not because its a bad movie, but it is insanely emotional and truly heartbreaking. Every 5 minutes there was a great scene that contained heightened emotion, human cooperation, and humanity. Incredible performances, I thought Watts was fantastic and McGregor was even better.

2 or 3 times it got a bit sentimental, but I feel even at that these are things I hope humans never stop being sentimental about. Dragged only for a short time. Ultimately a thrilling adventure with a non-stop onslaught of emotion.

9/10
Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 AM   #13
Se7en Sins
I Eat Brains!

Se7en Sins is Moonwalkin' with steel toed boots on

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
Just got back. Boy, what a chore to get through. Not because its a bad movie, but it is insanely emotional and truly heartbreaking. Every 5 minutes there was a great scene that contained heightened emotion, human cooperation, and humanity. Incredible performances, I thought Watts was fantastic and McGregor was even better.

2 or 3 times it got a bit sentimental, but I feel even at that these are things I hope humans never stop being sentimental about. Dragged only for a short time. Ultimately a thrilling adventure with a non-stop onslaught of emotion.

9/10

I had some major issues with some of the pacing of the scenes in the health centers, but other than that it was a fantastic film.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

HorrorMovieFan has no status.

Quote:

9/10
Its a shame Holland and McGregor were overlooked.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
Dr. McStuffin
Rotting Corpse

Dr. McStuffin is making the Lacerta Plague look like a fucking square dance!

I read a review of this film that called it "deplorable". It stated that it glosses over the pain and suffering of the indigenous people to focus on a rich white family to a schmaltzy and predictable end. The movie is supposed to be pure unadulterated Oscar bait. After reading that review, I can't imagine sitting through it.
Dr. McStuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecep View Post
I read a review of this film that called it "deplorable". It stated that it glosses over the pain and suffering of the indigenous people to focus on a rich white family to a schmaltzy and predictable end. The movie is supposed to be pure unadulterated Oscar bait. After reading that review, I can't imagine sitting through it.
The only difference between the family in the film and the real life family is the color of their skin. The real family was a super rich Spanish family vacationing in Thailand, they made them British for whatever reason. The movie has he same ending as the real family had. This is their story. THe local population is represented constantly throughout the film.

This change has brought out the secret racist in many people. Rich is rich, who cares what ethnicity they are. Apparently survivors of the actual event have reported that this film is insanely accurate in its depiction.

Get over it and see the movie.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
Dr. McStuffin
Rotting Corpse

Dr. McStuffin is making the Lacerta Plague look like a fucking square dance!

Quote:
The only difference between the family in the film and the real life family is the color of their skin. The real family was a super rich Spanish family vacationing in Thailand, they made them British for whatever reason. The movie has he same ending as the real family had. This is their story. THe local population is represented constantly throughout the film.

This change has brought out the secret racist in many people. Rich is rich, who cares what ethnicity they are. Apparently survivors of the actual event have reported that this film is insanely accurate in its depiction.

The racial difference that the reviewer was concerned with, is that film is focused on a vacationing family, while making the people most affected by the tragedy a backdrop and extras in their own story. NOT whether the protagonists were Spanish or English. It's equivalent to someone telling you that their Dad just died from cancer, and you say that "I had a mole removed once." I don't know why some folks always want to control the conversation and make it about themselves, as evidenced by the point of view that the story takes place, but it's right there in plain sight. I don't need to get over anything, I was just saying what a review said from a trusted critic. I don't have the time to see everything, so that's why I read reviews, especially from outside of BD, so I don't waste my time with stuff I probably won't like. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Last edited by Dr. McStuffin; 02-03-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Dr. McStuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #18
Freddy_Lives
Zinc Saucier

Freddy_Lives is The Velour Fog

Quote:
The racial difference that the reviewer was concerned with, is that film is focused on a vacationing family, while making the people most affected by the tragedy a backdrop and extras in their own story. NOT whether the protagonists were Spanish or English. It's equivalent to someone telling you that their Dad just died from cancer, and you say that "I had a mole removed once." I don't know why some folks aways want to control the conversation and make it about themselves, as evidenced by the point of view that the story takes place, but it's right there in plain sight. I don't need to get over anything, I was just saying what a review said from a trusted critic. I don't have the time to see everything, so that's why I read reviews, especially from outside of BD, so I don't waste my time with stuff I probably won't like. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I definitely don't see it as a racist film at all even if the story was taken and twisted as ALL stories are usually but it's 10 times easier finding British/American actors then spanish actors not to mention the makers of the film want it to be a success so have to bring in recognized names.

1. Drive
2. The Terminator
3. Robocop
4. Gladiator
5. X-Men: First Class
6. Her
7. Toy Story 3
8. Batman
9. Superman
10. The Running Man
Freddy_Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

Quote:
The racial difference that the reviewer was concerned with, is that film is focused on a vacationing family, while making the people most affected by the tragedy a backdrop and extras in their own story. NOT whether the protagonists were Spanish or English. It's equivalent to someone telling you that their Dad just died from cancer, and you say that "I had a mole removed once." I don't know why some folks always want to control the conversation and make it about themselves, as evidenced by the point of view that the story takes place, but it's right there in plain sight. I don't need to get over anything, I was just saying what a review said from a trusted critic. I don't have the time to see everything, so that's why I read reviews, especially from outside of BD, so I don't waste my time with stuff I probably won't like. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
These vacationers when through the experience all the same, there is no need to compare or weigh whose tragedy is worse. THe film does a surprisingly excellent job of showing multiple angles of the tsunami. I don't see how focusing on a rich family is an issue... this movie could have been made from 02801283 different perspectives.

I acknowledged your argument and elaborated on another issue people are pointing out with the film.

Some of you guys are so sensitive... why do you guys start fighting and arguing over a discussion so quickly?

Last edited by The Revelator; 02-03-2013 at 12:10 PM.
The Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
Daenerys
Your Highness

Daenerys is taking what's hers with fire and blood

Quote:

I watched this tonight and I read that the real Maria wanted Naomi Watts to play her. Why a spanish woman would want an austrailian blonde to play herself is beyond me.
3. The Divide
4. Freaks
5. Calvaire
6. American Psycho
7. Inside
8. Cabin Fever
9. The Poughkeepsie Tapes
10. 30 Days of Night
Daenerys is offline   Reply With Quote