Stephen King's Doctor Sleep - Page 2 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Books, Magazines, Literature, etc..

Books, Magazines, Literature, etc.. Some of us really do know how to read!

Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
floyd2006
The Living Dead

floyd2006 is In The Twilight Zone

If I have time to read it, I'll definitely check it out.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Re-read the Shining not too long ago. I'm ready for this!

1. The Ocean - Bathyalpelagic I: Impasses
2. The Knife - Full of Fire
3. The Drones - Why Write a Letter That You'll Never Send
4. Death Grips - Spread Eagle Cross the Block
5. Giant Giant - The House, the Street, the Room
6. Bob Dylan - Most of the Time
7. Johnny Greenwood - Oil
8. Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Definition
9. Janelle Monae - Q.U.E.E.N.
The Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
Jack the Pin
Send... More... Paramedics

Jack the Pin is trying to tie a bell around the tail of his Cartesian demon

I'm kinda curious about the title. I mean, sure, it's a sequel to The Shining, but the title is Dr. Sleep. What does that mean exactly? Weren't there three doctors or surgeons of souls in Insomnia? Weren't these three doctors involved with cutting the silver cords that freed souls to depart the body? Isn't Insomnia a Dark Tower novel because of the presence of a young Patrick Dempsey? And isn't it true that the cover of the book features white and red vertical striping meant to symbolize the white of the Eld in opposition to the red of The Crimson King. It would be cool to see The universe of The Shining pulled into the Dark Tower, though I assume that anything King writes is within sight of the Tower. Still, it would be nice to have a new novel with some dark Tower references in it. They were conspicuously absent from 11/22/63.
Jack the Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the Pin View Post
I'm kinda curious about the title. I mean, sure, it's a sequel to The Shining, but the title is Dr. Sleep. What does that mean exactly? Weren't there three doctors or surgeons of souls in Insomnia? Weren't these three doctors involved with cutting the silver cords that freed souls to depart the body? Isn't Insomnia a Dark Tower novel because of the presence of a young Patrick Dempsey? And isn't it true that the cover of the book features white and red vertical striping meant to symbolize the white of the Eld in opposition to the red of The Crimson King. It would be cool to see The universe of The Shining pulled into the Dark Tower, though I assume that anything King writes is within sight of the Tower. Still, it would be nice to have a new novel with some dark Tower references in it. They were conspicuously absent from 11/22/63.
I believe this will be very related to the Dark Tower series...

Somehow related to using individuals who can "Shine" in order to break the beams to the tower.

1. The Ocean - Bathyalpelagic I: Impasses
2. The Knife - Full of Fire
3. The Drones - Why Write a Letter That You'll Never Send
4. Death Grips - Spread Eagle Cross the Block
5. Giant Giant - The House, the Street, the Room
6. Bob Dylan - Most of the Time
7. Johnny Greenwood - Oil
8. Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Definition
9. Janelle Monae - Q.U.E.E.N.
The Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Jack the Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
I believe this will be very related to the Dark Tower series...

Somehow related to using individuals who can "Shine" in order to break the beams to the tower.
Yesssssss! I hadn't thought of that, but you are absolutely right.

That idea--people with psionic powers who have been shanghaied to Mid-world to be employed as beam breakers--was a huge part of Black House.

Excellent observation, sir. My hat, if I owned one, would be off to you.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
Jack the Pin

FYI, folks. In the Sunday, March 14th issue of The New York Times Book Review, Stephen King does a lengthy review of Joyce Carol Oates' new novel The Accursed.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
Doug Brunell
Fresh Kill

Doug Brunell is working on the next manuscript

I haven't read the "Shining" sequel yet, but I am curious about it. I run hot and cold on King these days, though he is who inspired me to become a writer.
Doug Brunell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #18
Se7en

Se7en is high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Brunell View Post
I haven't read the "Shining" sequel yet, but I am curious about it. I run hot and cold on King these days, though he is who inspired me to become a writer.
It's not out yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxley View Post
I hoped I would get raped walking back to my car afterwards as it would have left the night on a high note compared to the shit that those films were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
Jason X is by far my favorite of the franchise and one of my all time favorite horror films. I love it and I watch it a few times a year.
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #19
Midnight-Kroovy
Rotting Corpse

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

The long anticipated Dr. Sleep is getting released September 24. Anybody plan on reading it? I haven't read The Shining but I'm kinda tempted to so I can read this.

Here's the synopsis:

"The instantly riveting Doctor Sleep picks up the story of the now middle-aged Dan, working at a hospice in rural New Hampshire, and the very special twelve-year old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless - mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the 'steam' that children with the 'shining' produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father's legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him and a job at a nursing home where his remnant 'shining' power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes 'Doctor Sleep.'

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan's own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra's soul and survival . . ."

Not what I was expecting...
Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #20
yoxodo

yoxodo is not going to wash his hands because hes EVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
The long anticipated Dr. Sleep is getting released September 24. Anybody plan on reading it? I haven't read The Shining but I'm kinda tempted to so I can read this.

Here's the synopsis:

"The instantly riveting Doctor Sleep picks up the story of the now middle-aged Dan, working at a hospice in rural New Hampshire, and the very special twelve-year old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless - mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the 'steam' that children with the 'shining' produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father's legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him and a job at a nursing home where his remnant 'shining' power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes 'Doctor Sleep.'

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan's own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra's soul and survival . . ."

Not what I was expecting...
Oh, l'm all over this when it comes out. l've been counting down the days since some time last year. l'm actually reading Joe Hill's Horns right now, and l don't know if l'll finish it in time for this, since l'm such a slow reader. Might just have to set Horns aside for a little bit, to catch up on Dan Torrance's exploits since the awful tragedy at the Overlook. Can't. Frickin. Wait.
yoxodo is offline   Reply With Quote