A BD Comprised Top 100 List? - Page 10 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > General Horror Talk

General Horror Talk Does it have something to do with horror? Does it not fit in anywhere else? Post It Here!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #91
Se7en
It... Won't... Die...

Se7en is bout to buy an alligator for his birthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hag View Post
Man, 1986 was a banner year for horror films.

Aliens
The Fly
Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer
Night Of The Creeps
From Beyond

Then you have the likes of TCM 2, (not a fan but alot are) Class Of Nuke'em High, Maximum Overdrive, (fun as hell) Critters, Chopping Mall, Friday The 13th Part 6..
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylives! View Post
and don't forget everyone's favorite horror classic, blue velvet!
No love for The Hitcher?

Seriously though, Aliens, Blue Velvet & The Fly are flawless.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #92
Sea Hag
It... Won't... Die...

Sea Hag has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Sea Hag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en XxSinzXx View Post
No love for The Hitcher?
Shit; I thought that came out earlier. Add it to the list.

DVDs

Recent Flicks
Marathon Man - 8.5/10
Zero Dark Thirty - 8.5/10
Escape From New York - 9/10
Animal Kingdom - 7/10
Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter - 8/10
Sea Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #93
Sea Hag
It... Won't... Die...

Sea Hag has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
Yeah that was a good year looking at it but the seventies has to be the best decade for cinema and practically every genre.
I think the 80's was the better decade for the horror genre:

The Thing
Aliens
The Fly
Evil Dead
Evil Dead II
The Shining
Re-Animator
Videodrome
Day Of The Dead
Halloween III
From Beyond
An American Werewolf In London
Hellraiser
Night Of The Creeps
The Fog
The Dead Zone
Manhunter
Poltergeist
Fright Night
Ghost Story
Near Dark
Return Of The Living Dead
Gremlins
The Hidden
Dressed To Kill
Angel Heart
Prince Of Darkness
Dead Ringers
The Prowler
The Burning
The Beyond
Creepshow
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Friday The 13th 1-4
Phantasm II
Halloween II
Scanners
Christine
Basket Case
The Toxic Avenger
The Blob
Hellraiser II

The 80's produced better event/blockbuster/tentpole (whatever you want to call'em) flicks too ala "Empire Strikes Back", "Aliens", "Indiana Jones Trilogy", insert any number of flicks that came out in 1982, etc, etc..

DVDs

Recent Flicks
Marathon Man - 8.5/10
Animal Kingdom - 7/10
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #94
gwally
Demigod

gwally is handing out candy in your neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
Is this a typo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey View Post
Although Snake Pliskin's venture into New York was really cool to see, it wasnt horror.

I know it's not horror. I have no idea what I was thinking!
I've removed it from my list, moved everything up and added what would have been #26. Thanks for not laughing me out of the neighborhood!

All titles are the original film unless indicated otherwise.
1. Halloween
2. Dawn of the Dead
3. The Thing
4. Horror Hotel
5. The Blob (1958 )
6. The Exorcist
7. Silence of the Lambs
8. Let the Right One In
9. Carrie
10. The Blob (1988 )
11. Jacob’s Ladder
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 )
13. The Birds
14. Near Dark
15. Prince of Darkness
16. The Omen
17. Psycho
18. The Texas Chain saw Massacre
19. Poltergeist
20. The Dead Zone
21. Let’s Scare Jessica to Death
22. The Evil Dead
23. Nightmare on Elm Street
24. Friday the Thirteenth
25. Night of the Demon

Last edited by gwally; 01-23-2013 at 09:33 AM.
gwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #95
Midnight-Kroovy
The Living Dead

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

Quote:
I think the 80's was the better decade for the horror genre:

The Thing
Aliens
The Fly
Evil Dead
Evil Dead II
The Shining
Re-Animator
Videodrome
Day Of The Dead
Halloween III
From Beyond
An American Werewolf In London
Hellraiser
Night Of The Creeps
The Fog
The Dead Zone
Manhunter
Poltergeist
Fright Night
Ghost Story
Near Dark
Return Of The Living Dead
Gremlins
The Hidden
Dressed To Kill
Angel Heart
Prince Of Darkness
Dead Ringers
The Prowler
The Burning
The Beyond
Creepshow
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Friday The 13th 1-4
Phantasm II
Halloween II
Scanners
Christine
Basket Case
The Toxic Avenger
The Blob
Hellraiser II

The 80's produced better event/blockbuster/tentpole (whatever you want to call'em) flicks too ala "Empire Strikes Back", "Aliens", "Indiana Jones Trilogy", insert any number of flicks that came out in 1982, etc, etc..
No doubt the 80's was a great year for horror and I own and enjoy all those films you listed. I just feel the seventies had more landmark films that changed the complexion of cinema e.g;

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Jaws
Carrie
The Omen
Suspiria
Dawn of the Dead
Halloween
Alien

and if you look at seventies films in general;
The Godfather
Godfather 2
One Flew over the cuckoos nest
Star Wars
Apocalypse Now
Taxi Driver
A clockwork Orange
The Deer Hunter

Its an immense selection of films and I'm sure I'm forgetting many. And as much as I enjoy 80's cheese the decade started a bad trend of ripping off a formula that works e.g Halloween and doing loads of sequels/cash-ins rather than films that are innovative with a voice.

That being said 80's horror is the biggest part of my collection . But I find the majority are mindless fun rather than masterpieces.
Midnight-Kroovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #96
DudeClassicMan
Fresh Kill

DudeClassicMan has no status.

What about that same basic mid-to-late 80’s era as the golden age for iconic villains?

Most of these are iconic and speak for themselves.

Frank Booth Blue Velvet, 1986. Get your fucking robe!

Clarence Boddicker Robocop, 1987. Bitches leave!

Henry Henry: Potrait of A Serial Killer, 1986.- I ain’t using the real guy’s full name because the killer in this was an average looking guy operating out of a big city. The real guy was just a deformed-looking drifter who bounced back and forth between Dirtwater, Florida and Armadillotaint, Texas. In other words, different motherfuckers altogether. Which is why this disturbing portrayal still endures; it was Rooker's unique take from his own head.

(Original TCM prop guy Daniel Burns was much more authentic to the real shitstain on humanity in the also great Confessions Of A Serial Killer (1985) as a meek little backwoods guy.)

Now Ottis was pretty true to the guy he was based on.

John Ryder The Hitcher, 1986.- Based on several legends and myths; actually the writer was inspired by that fucking Doors song while on a cross country drive. The remake pretty much loses any suggestion that something supernatural is at play from the only time I saw that extended music video.

Several years later, Dust Devil (1993) took one of the legends and made a movie out of it where things were explicitly supernatural.

Rick Masters To Live And Die In LA, 1985.-Only Friedkin and DaFoe could could make something this timeless out of a fucking cop movie about mid-80's counterfeiters. Petersen's reckless anti-hero is also perfect.

Cash Bailey Extreme Prejudice, 1987.- Powers Boothe is bad ass in everything he does and is no exception here. The final showdown between him and Nolte is also given real credibility by this being one of the few times Nolte doesn’t look a perpetually hung over ponchy piece of shit.

Brad Whitewood Sr.,At Close Range, 1985.- It’s a plain old crime movie about a ring of tractor thieves in Pennsylvania. Then this guy’s sons (played by Brothers Penn) decide to freelance with a bunch of their stupid buddies (including Crispin Glover and Evil Ed) and get their dumbasses caught after the DA has already been building a case against paranoid Brad Sr.,. That’s when motherfuckers start getting whisked away into the woods in the middle of the night. You can guess the rest. Probably Walken’s most menacing role. I mean even Frank White had his altruistic side.

Francis Dollarhyde Manhunter, 1986. –So what if Fiennes pint-sized powerlifter was closer to the book? Fuck the book.

Louis Cypher Angel Heart, 1987.- You know who.

Paul White White Of The Eye, 1987.-Played by David Keith (the white one; can’t independently confirm whether he’d be willing to put the glasses on or not.) The most obscure character out of these. The movie’s up on YouTube now. I personally wouldn’t call it horror outright anymore than I would Blue Velvet.

I guess you’d call it a psychological thriller. There are some giallo flourishes but this isn't any kind of body count movie. Classification isn’t important.

Check it out for Keith’s utter insanity during the film’s climax. As distinct an on-screen psychopath as Frank Booth and spews probably the kind of nutty rationale you’d hear out of a real serial killer who hates women as much as this crazy guy.

Check it out for yourself.
http://youtu.be/eTLTrO5Z_-k?t=4m35s
DudeClassicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #97
gwally
Demigod

gwally is handing out candy in your neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClassicMan View Post
Brad Whitewood Sr.,At Close Range, 1985.- It’s a plain old crime movie about a ring of tractor thieves in Pennsylvania. Then this guy’s sons (played by Brothers Penn) decide to freelance with a bunch of their stupid buddies (including Crispin Glover and Evil Ed) and get their dumbasses caught after the DA has already been building a case against paranoid Brad Sr.,. That’s when motherfuckers start getting whisked away into the woods in the middle of the night. You can guess the rest. Probably Walken’s most menacing role. I mean even Frank White had his altruistic side.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #98
DudeClassicMan
Fresh Kill

DudeClassicMan has no status.

Quote:
Man, 1986 was a banner year for horror films.

Aliens
The Fly
Night Of The Creeps
From Beyond

Then you have the likes of TCM 2, (not a fan but alot are) Class Of Nuke'em High, Maximum Overdrive, (fun as hell) Critters, Chopping Mall, Friday The 13th Part 6..
Night of the Creeps just gives me an excuse to mention that I didn’t even bother trying to jam Dekker’s The Monster Squad into my list no matter how much I still dig it. Even with the legendary monster designs there’s just nothing that makes it hard horror. Even House had Roger’s ex-wifemonster getting butchered with garden shears. Dracula is pretty cold when he thinks he’s blowing those little assholes up inside their own clubhouse with the dynamite; and when he does blow up Del's poor token partner.

Maybe if they would’ve showed us the Wolfman ripping that fucking ambulance driver to pieces. Wishy washy “we need the little kids to make bank” studio bastards. Bunch of fucking pussies. Shit, it could’ve been R and my folks still would’ve taken me to the theatre; saw Hellraiser on VHS at midnight on a Sunday school night.

That’s all sarcasm, of course. I know the kind of tight rope they had to walk selling a movie about kids fighting monsters while still making it just violent enough to appeal to the masses. It still sucks that it washed out at the box office due to probably this very reason. To me, The Monster Squad holds up just as well as The Lost Boys in terms of still being clever and it’s not like there was any real hard-edged violence in that either. Fucking assholes getting wasted to that shitty Aeroshit song? Gimme a fucking break. Except for Kiefer, I also don’t think all the glam metal reject vampires have aged so well either. They look like pretty blatant 80's relics to me.

Back to business; there’s one other thing about the monsters in Monster Squad; I know just the hard R late eighties movie they should’ve been featured in.

Because as much as I love The Monster Squad and Waxwork just the way they are, how much better off would Waxwork have been featuring Stan Winston’s Wolfman and Gillman instead of the cheap looking low budget versions they were forced to go with? (Of course, Waxwork sort of was Monster Squad carried out to an R-rating; only with snooty college kids but unfortunately with those inferior monsters. Shit, it even had the same basic plot of them having to stop evil from overtaking the world; come to think of neither is that different than Cabin In The Woods. Except back then, everything didn’t have to be “meta” or self-referential to think of itself as a cool movie.)

Don’t get me wrong; there’s something charmingly crude about the werewolf design in Waxwork; but it’s so fucking fake and mask-looking; especially in the wrong light which gets shone on it too much. It’s still good times watching that ridiculous furry fuck thunderclap assholes heads into a splattery mess at least.

That thing’s in stark contrast though to Winston’s bad ass Wolfman which besides Oliver Reed in Curse of the Werewolf is really one of the few times a wolfman didn’t look like a silly ass dogman. By god, Waxwork is the movie such a magnificent creature deserved to be in; not relegated to cut-aways when he was slashing that dipshit headphones-wearing ambulance driver to pieces.

Did Waxwork even have a gill-man facsimile? The closest I saw was the cobra-man circus freak which could’ve been a reference to either SSSSSSS or Dreamscape. Sure it had everything else; 50’s sci-fi aliens, Seymour from Little fucking Shop Of Horrors. But it’s a damn shame Winston’s top notch monsters got wasted when it would’ve been so much fun seeing them lay waste to some poor unfortunate dipshits.

Oddly enough, I wouldn’t change a thing about the werewolf in Silver Bullet. Somehow in a movie where drunk uncle Gary Busey saves the day a giant teddybearman jacked up on Human Growth Hormone with porcelain eyes seems to be just what the doctor ordered.

I guess I should swing this all back around to the two werewolf movies that actually showed up in somebody's top 25; An American Werewolf In London and The Howling. I'll just say that while the former's beast is technically superior in every way I still see it being more ursine or bear-like than what I think of as a werewolf. So while not being as impressive of a special effect, The Howling's creature is a better werewolf.

As movies though, no contest. Also don't let the horror label obscure what An American Werewolf In London really is; a great black comedy about the absurdity of the whole fucking situation of being a werewolf.

Last edited by DudeClassicMan; 01-23-2013 at 10:48 AM.
DudeClassicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #99
Klownz
BANNED

Klownz is shouting, "Mr. FEENY!!!"

Fixed my list... ED2 was slightly better than ED.
Klownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #100
Sea Hag
It... Won't... Die...

Sea Hag has no status.

Quote:
and if you look at seventies films in general;
The Godfather
Godfather 2
One Flew over the cuckoos nest
Star Wars
Apocalypse Now
Taxi Driver
A clockwork Orange
The Deer Hunter
As far as transcendent "Best Picture" type flicks the 70's has it locked down. But my original point of the 80's having more quality event/tentpole flicks still rings true. The 70's version of those were the slew of disaster flicks that kept being pumped out like "The Towering Inferno", "Airport", "Earthquake", etc, etc. "Jaws" & "Star Wars" are two of the most formidable of those kind of flicks though.

Quote:
Its an immense selection of films and I'm sure I'm forgetting many. And as much as I enjoy 80's cheese the decade started a bad trend of ripping off a formula that works e.g Halloween and doing loads of sequels/cash-ins rather than films that are innovative with a voice.

That being said 80's horror is the biggest part of my collection . But I find the majority are mindless fun rather than masterpieces.
With the 80's I think frankly there were just more horror movies made than there were in the 70's & you can attribute that to the home video boom of the time. This is why I think the decade gets a bad wrap in terms of quality. There's just a gluttonous amount of films to sift through but if you look at the list I posted of 80's titles you'll see there's alot more than cheese there. There are bonafide, serious horror classics to be seen. And for my money moreso than the 70's.

DVDs

Recent Flicks
Marathon Man - 8.5/10
Animal Kingdom - 7/10