85th Annual Academy Awards (2013) - Page 2 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet


Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Gabberhouse24
The Living Dead
 
Gabberhouse24's Avatar
Gabberhouse24 is right behind you.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey View Post
Sorry if this statement offends anyone, but fuck the Academy. The last time I found them to be correct was when Christoph Waltz won best supporting actor in Inglorious Basterds, I find them extremely inaccurate and would love to know what dumbshit decided Jonah Hill should have got a nomination. I think pretty much all award shows are bullshit.
Yeah, it's all bullshit, we all know that. But, it's been like that for years and it's not going to change, so I accept it and hope for the nom's that I think actually should win. And, I also think there have been plenty of awards given to those who do indeed deserve them. Usually the biggest piece of bullshit is the Best Picture winner, but a lot of the performance nominees are well deserved, not all, but a lot of them. Natalie Portman in Black Swan was one of the most deserved wins in recent years and I'm with you on Christoph too.
__________________
Gabberhouse24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
Frey
BANNED
 
Frey's Avatar
Frey is here to fulfill Ra's Al Ghul's destiny!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,830
Send a message via Yahoo to Frey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabberhouse24 View Post
Yeah, it's all bullshit, we all know that. But, it's been like that for years and it's not going to change, so I accept it and hope for the nom's that I think actually should win. And, I also think there have been plenty of awards given to those who do indeed deserve them. Usually the biggest piece of bullshit is the Best Picture winner, but a lot of the performance nominees are well deserved, not all, but a lot of them. Natalie Portman in Black Swan was one of the most deserved wins in recent years and I'm with you on Christoph too.
She fucking rocked the shit out of that role. I don't think she has ever played a role like that. She went through a complete transformation for the movie and then the last few scenes her character changed so drasticly.
Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator
 
The Revelator's Avatar
The Revelator is tired
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: outside the wall
Posts: 12,572
Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator
Default

Its impossible to say if they get the awards 100 percent right every year because their criteria simply differs from others'. Especially people like us who love violent and offensive horror films.

Having said that, I find a lot of the films that they at least nominate end up in my top 10 of each year. The main problem with the Academy is that they're totally unwilling to appreciate genre films or pick films and/or performances to win the awards that aren't "safe".

The King's Speech is the perfect example. Is it a good movie? Absolutely. Its brilliantly acted and filmed with an interesting historical plot. Trouble is, if you've seen one movie about British monarchy you've seen them all. It does nothing outside of being an excellent movie. No harm in that, only i wish they would have picked something much more contemporary feeling and boundary pushing, such as Inception and Black Swan (which at least were nominated).

This year I bet either Argo or Lincoln will dominate. Once again, there is nothing wrong with those films. They're expertly crafted, both very exciting and jam packed with commendable film elements. Do they push any boundaries or stand as a new standard in anything? Hell no.

Something like Cloud Atlas or the Master is what they SHOULD be awarding in my opinion. Films that feel truly unique. Films that have done things that no film has done before in new and exciting ways.

All of that aside, its a blast to watch the Oscars. I don't see anything wrong with filmmakers patting themselves on the back every now and again. Just because the films we want to win don't win doesn't mean those films fall off of the face of the Earth. I'll always be an avid Oscars fan. Its the equivalent of people getting really into professional sports or political races. I dig it.
__________________
The Revelator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
nancylives!
The Living Dead
 
nancylives!'s Avatar
nancylives! is living!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: mt. rainier, md
Posts: 3,432
Default

i have a love/hate relationship with the oscars. the part of me that values the heyday of the forties, and big stars like cary grant, bogey, lauren bacall, billy wilder, and so on loves them. they're like a throwback to the early days of hollywood royalty. the part of me that hates them is the horror loving outlier that can't stand the interests of the rich, white, and boring. so i watch the oscars, alternately applauding interesting choices and homages and restrospective moments, and then cursing their failure to acknowledge horror and science fiction appropriately. nothing pisses me off more when only three movies get a make-up nom, and then the winner is some bullshit aging make-up (i mean, unless rick baker is nominated). so i'm schizo about them. i watch them every year, rattling my saber about their narrow mindedness, and then trumpeting my horn if something even obliquely horror is recognized (the brilliant martin landeau as bela in ed wood, for example).

like i said, love em/hate em.
__________________

nancylives! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator
 
The Revelator's Avatar
The Revelator is tired
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: outside the wall
Posts: 12,572
Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator
Default

Yup. They have a shocking inability to honor genre films. They had a cool tribute to horror films a few years ago though.

Having said that, vey few horror and science fiction movies actually deserve to be honored. And as much as I love stuff like Troma movies and other niche films and distributors, I can see why Father's Day or Poultrygeist wouldn't be honored despite them being incredible films. Most people in the world just simply do not understand that kind of thing. There are certainly some films that deserve recognition, but the Academy has a hard time with genre pictures.

I was surprised Inception received so much Oscar love.
__________________
The Revelator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
Gabberhouse24
The Living Dead
 
Gabberhouse24's Avatar
Gabberhouse24 is right behind you.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey View Post
She fucking rocked the shit out of that role. I don't think she has ever played a role like that. She went through a complete transformation for the movie and then the last few scenes her character changed so drasticly.
Yeah she did, it's become one of my favorite films too. I put it right beside Requiem as Aronofsky's best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
The King's Speech is the perfect example. Is it a good movie? Absolutely. Its brilliantly acted and filmed with an interesting historical plot. Trouble is, if you've seen one movie about British monarchy you've seen them all. It does nothing outside of being an excellent movie. No harm in that, only i wish they would have picked something much more contemporary feeling and boundary pushing, such as Inception and Black Swan (which at least were nominated).
Agreed, it's a damn good film and Firth really did an amazing job. But I also wish Black Swan was the winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
This year I bet either Argo or Lincoln will dominate. Once again, there is nothing wrong with those films. They're expertly crafted, both very exciting and jam packed with commendable film elements. Do they push any boundaries or stand as a new standard in anything? Hell no.
Have you seen Zero Dark Thirty yet? Until I saw this, I thought Argo would be the big contender, now I'm not so sure.
__________________
Gabberhouse24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator
 
The Revelator's Avatar
The Revelator is tired
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: outside the wall
Posts: 12,572
Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabberhouse24 View Post
Have you seen Zero Dark Thirty yet? Until I saw this, I thought Argo would be the big contender, now I'm not so sure.
I'm dying to see it. I'm still betting on Lincoln or Argo over Zero Dark Thirty... although they loved the Hurt Locker.

I think Chastain will win best actress based off of precursor awards. Do you think she deserves it? I think she's a great actress who came out of fucking nowhere.
__________________
The Revelator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!
 
HorrorMovieFan's Avatar
HorrorMovieFan has no status.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
I'm dying to see it. I'm still betting on Lincoln or Argo over Zero Dark Thirty... although they loved the Hurt Locker.

I think Chastain will win best actress based off of precursor awards. Do you think she deserves it? I think she's a great actress who came out of fucking nowhere.
Chastain is netting alot of small critic group wins, and the major critic groups(5 groups) that have announced so far have been spreading the wealth. Like we discussed last night, all acting categories have 2-3 frontrunners at the moment. I have read Naomi Watts is campaigning like crazy, and many people on different message boards are predicting an upset Best Actress win with her. Chastain has good momentum right now, but Jennifer Lawrence is right behind her and Watts is in there too. Chastain did come out of nowhere in 2010, and she already netted her 1st oscar nom last year. She was also the critics darling with many critic award groups.

My main category that I am looking so forward too is Best Actress. With Lawrence, Chastain, and Watts as potential nominees this month..all 3 women will be on their 2nd nomination, and we all know the Academy loves to honor people the 2nd time around most of the time.
__________________

Last edited by HorrorMovieFan; 01-06-2013 at 04:53 PM.
HorrorMovieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs
 
Oxley's Avatar
Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Bates Motel, Australia
Posts: 21,940
Send a message via MSN to Oxley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey View Post
Sorry if this statement offends anyone, but fuck the Academy. The last time I found them to be correct was when Christoph Waltz won best supporting actor in Inglorious Basterds, I find them extremely inaccurate and would love to know what dumbshit decided Jonah Hill should have got a nomination. I think pretty much all award shows are bullshit.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabberhouse24 View Post
Natalie Portman in Black Swan was one of the most deserved wins in recent years
Ain't that the truth. Sometimes the Oscars get confused and actually give the awards to the deserving.

It was also very nice seeing Baker get one for his Wolf-Man. I'm sure he was so touched by it, as Jack Pierce is the reason he even got into the art.
__________________
"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain





"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler


Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #20
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!
 
HorrorMovieFan's Avatar
HorrorMovieFan has no status.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,949
Default

SAG and BAFTA are the 2 main awards groups to rely on to make Oscar predictions. Not 100% all the time, but they are pretty damn close alot of the time. The Oscars have a huge British voters group with them, so BAFTA winners play HEAVILY in the Oscar race. And of course with SAG, we have the actors voting on eachother.
__________________
HorrorMovieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-Present BLOODY-DISGUSTING LLC