Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) - Page 12 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet


Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #111
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator
 
The Revelator's Avatar
The Revelator is tired
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: outside the wall
Posts: 13,678
Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusted View Post
This film gets a lot of hate, mainly because of the reasons listed above but it doesn't worry me. I was never into the old flicks to begin with, but I can certainly see why fans would have issues. They do steal scenes and dialog but I think there's enough of the new to balance it out, plus Benedict Cumberbatch is a great villain.
Yeah I get the problems... But also I'm a massive fan of TOS and the original films but I absolutely love this one. I like it like people who love Craig's James Bond love that... It's totally reinvented an amazing series in a unique way that keeps it relevant. No gripes here.
__________________
The Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #112
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...
 
Heretic's Avatar
Heretic is up to shenanigans
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
I like it like people who love Craig's James Bond love that... It's totally reinvented an amazing series in a unique way that keeps it relevant. No gripes here.
The thing with Craig's Bond though, is that the stories are original. You don't see Jaws, or Blofeld in the new Bond movies, for instance.

I thought the first Star Trek did an incredible job of putting a new spin on the franchise. I also thought the alternate universe idea was used brilliantly, to explain the new actors playing the same roles. Now, I wish they never did it, because in this flick it was used as an excuse to tread over familiar territory. Is every other movie from here on out going to be sort of like the others, because they take place in a sort of parallel universe?

This film lacked the confidence the first one did, to try new things, and continue to build it's own identity. Did the villain really have to be
Spoiler Below
Khan?
Change his name, and make him a different race, and nothing changes. His inclusion was pure fan service, and really added nothing to the movie at all. In fact, I think it would've been far better if e was just a new villain, because now all everyone is going to do is make comparisons. If he's not that character, he's just a really cool new villain, instead of a reprisal of an iconic one.
__________________


Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #113
nancylives!
The Living Dead
 
nancylives!'s Avatar
nancylives! is living!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: mt. rainier, md
Posts: 3,824
Default

as a fan of tos and the original movies, i have been quite pleased with abram's work in this particular universe. the first star trek was, to me, a damn near perfect movie. i enjoyed the second one very much, but i agree with the previous points; the parts of into darkness that were like wrath of khan came across as week, and took away from an otherwise excellent, entertaining movie. and the end just defies--forgive me--logic.

having said that, going forward, i hope they move in a smaller, more science fictiony direction. the cast is fucking excellent and needs to continue, but it's time to explore the five year mission. we don't need to see the crew save the universe/earth/time anymore. let's see them settle into the drudgery of being in space with each, as well as exploring some new worlds and shit.
__________________
nancylives! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #114
The Geek
Schlock King
 
The Geek's Avatar
The Geek is a monster turd
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tromaville
Posts: 13,596
Send a message via Skype™ to The Geek
Default

I was never into Star Trek until the reboot. I thought it was great and the sequel is even better.
__________________

Bow to your King

B-Movie Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
I have a master's degree in sucking dicks.
The Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #115
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator
 
The Revelator's Avatar
The Revelator is tired
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: outside the wall
Posts: 13,678
Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
The thing with Craig's Bond though, is that the stories are original. You don't see Jaws, or Blofeld in the new Bond movies, for instance.

I thought the first Star Trek did an incredible job of putting a new spin on the franchise. I also thought the alternate universe idea was used brilliantly, to explain the new actors playing the same roles. Now, I wish they never did it, because in this flick it was used as an excuse to tread over familiar territory. Is every other movie from here on out going to be sort of like the others, because they take place in a sort of parallel universe?

This film lacked the confidence the first one did, to try new things, and continue to build it's own identity. Did the villain really have to be
Spoiler Below
Khan?
Change his name, and make him a different race, and nothing changes. His inclusion was pure fan service, and really added nothing to the movie at all. In fact, I think it would've been far better if e was just a new villain, because now all everyone is going to do is make comparisons. If he's not that character, he's just a really cool new villain, instead of a reprisal of an iconic one.
Well I dislike Craig as Bind and think all three of his movies (especially Skyfall) don't seem original in the slightest. They just try too hard to be edgy for me and end up feeling kind of lifeless. So that I can't agree with. They aren't bad films, I just dislike them. It's just a base comparison... It's similar in that its a reinvention but it doesn't follow the as,e rules as Bond (ie... Make him a dark almost anti-hero). Tis Star Trek reboot is certainly complete different in how it's presented, which is its greatest strength.

And honestly I disagree with you saying the villain is just fan service. It made all of the parallels with the original storyline make sense and seem more valid. I liked it and it made every element seem familiar enough to latch onto emotionally while focusing more on action and adventure versus dialogue and politics.
__________________
The Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #116
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...
 
Heretic's Avatar
Heretic is up to shenanigans
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
Tis Star Trek reboot is certainly complete different in how it's presented, which is its greatest strength.
Yeah, and Star Trek did that with the first flick. Not so much the second. They were moving in their own direction, and it was fresh. It was made for a new breed of fans. They kind of threw that all out the window with the sequel.

This movie was just one big reference fest, like they were trying to please all the old guard fans, they didn't mind risking to piss off with the first film.

Quote:
And honestly I disagree with you saying the villain is just fan service.
How is it not? The only reason he's the villain, is so that the crowd can gasp in a wave of nostalgia. 60% of the movie is "Space Seed", and "Wrath Of Khan". You know, the two most beloved Star Trek stories ever told. That's fan service if I ever saw it. It's fan service at best. It's lazy writing at worst.

Quote:
It made all of the parallels with the original storyline make sense and seem more valid.
So you'd be pleased if every Star Trek movie from here on out, was sort of like the original movie franchise, just because of the "parallel universe" stuff? I like the idea when they introduced it in the first film, but they shouldn't use it as an excuse to be lazy, and just rehash everything.
__________________


Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #117
Freddy_Lives
Zinc Saucier
 
Freddy_Lives's Avatar
Freddy_Lives is Eating at Bob's Burgers
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hangar 18
Posts: 10,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
, but they shouldn't use it as an excuse to be lazy, and just rehash everything.
I enjoyed Into Darkness but you hit the head right on the nail because in this universe they can come up with a great new story arch so why just rehash/remake from the classics??? to me that's what the first didn't do.

I don't mind the idea of using Kahn in the film but I have a problem when they're using a villain because "well he was from the original series"

Why not give us new material that actually makes us think OH WOW that villain is on top with Kahn as being the most badass. For me it was always the Borg from TNG it's not like a writing team couldn't come up with something even more sinister instead of just rehashing old characters.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Lives View Post
Nah I don't mind gay people hell my favorite Author is gay ----> Clive Barker

I've hired Blacks/Mexicans and one Iranian guy.

Last edited by Freddy_Lives; 09-15-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Freddy_Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #118
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator
 
The Revelator's Avatar
The Revelator is tired
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: outside the wall
Posts: 13,678
Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Yeah, and Star Trek did that with the first flick. Not so much the second. They were moving in their own direction, and it was fresh. It was made for a new breed of fans. They kind of threw that all out the window with the sequel.

This movie was just one big reference fest, like they were trying to please all the old guard fans, they didn't mind risking to piss off with the first film.



How is it not? The only reason he's the villain, is so that the crowd can gasp in a wave of nostalgia. 60% of the movie is "Space Seed", and "Wrath Of Khan". You know, the two most beloved Star Trek stories ever told. That's fan service if I ever saw it. It's fan service at best. It's lazy writing at worst.



So you'd be pleased if every Star Trek movie from here on out, was sort of like the original movie franchise, just because of the "parallel universe" stuff? I like the idea when they introduced it in the first film, but they shouldn't use it as an excuse to be lazy, and just rehash everything.
Well I feel as if it was done well, and you didn't.... Not sure how I'm supposed to make you feel differently. I thought the choice of villain made it even more exciting as well as made it fun to see how old ideas were made to seem fresh. Perhaps not the most inspired concept ever, but I don't think it's as lazy as you claim it is. All in all I found the overall story to be much more exciting and entertaining than the first film.

Do I think they should follow the same formula if they continue making this movies? Not necessarily... I'm sure older elements could be re-introduced in interesting ways but they don't necessarily have to be as out in front as they were in this movie.

I can't complain.
__________________
The Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #119
Se7en
The Bad Guy
 
Se7en's Avatar
Se7en is DRANK MOODY
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Void
Posts: 14,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek View Post
I was never into Star Trek until the reboot. I thought it was great and the sequel is even better.
I wouldn't say the sequel is better but they are both super good.

I don't give a fuck about Star Trek so certain narrative choices (people were actually complaining about Alice Eve being almost nude. I mean really?) that contradict or change the universe don't bother me one bit.
__________________
Se7en is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-Present BLOODY-DISGUSTING LLC