The Tobe Hooper appreciation society. - Page 5 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > General Horror Talk

General Horror Talk Does it have something to do with horror? Does it not fit in anywhere else? Post It Here!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #41
Sycophant
Fresh Kill

Sycophant has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
Pseudo verite is rarely pretentious from a filmic perspective. It relies more on interesting characters and themes than settings and stories, as the events of the story are generally announced and discussed by the characters and the settings are too poorly shot to see the full scope of their affect on the characters within them. Pseudo verite is a bastardization of cinema; it's poor-man's cinema and when used in major motion pictures usually indicates a cash grab as despicable as your average 3D gimmick. Instead of forcing the viewer to pay more for 3D, the producer cuts costs by using shoddy handheld shots filmed by any idiot off the street.
Sounds right in theory, but I would want to take it by a case-by-case basis. Even lower art can be guilty of hubris.
Sycophant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #42
Mogwai
BANNED

Mogwai is three sheets to the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylives! View Post
it's gritty because it makes me feel fucking uncomfortable. i feel the heat and itchiness, and oppressiveness of the house and the texas summer. and when i started watching it in the mid-eighties, it wasn't a new transfer, it wasn't on blu-rey or dvd, it wasn't a flat screen hi-def tv, it was on a fucking betamax tape on a 15 inch zenith. the filmstock itself was gritty, full of specks, dark, unpleasant. the movie itself is painstaking in its' patience and exposition, full of screams and the meaty sounds of metal connecting with flesh. that's why it's gritty.
Precisely!
Verite schmerite - if it makes your skin crawl then it's verily and veritarily mega I say I say I say.
I'm not gonna get drawn into the exact definition of the word 'gritty', it could, for eg, describe my anus after lying on the beach as much as it could be used to expound the atmosphere of Chainsaw Massacre so let's leave all verbose semantics at the fucking door and look at just how gritty Chainsaw Massacre is...
From the flashbulb shots of defiled corpses to the (now seminal) vision of Leatherface swinging his power tool (lol) over his head in the Texas sunset everything about this film is raw, poweful... and GRITTY!
I, for one found it gritty, gritty and, most importantly of all...
Gritty. And I haven't even touched on the blatant symbolism that the chainsaw is in fact an extension of Leatherfaces manhood, a phallic personification of his impotence which, I again, found extremely...
Gritty!!!
Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #43
nancylives!
The Living Dead

nancylives! is living!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
And I haven't even touched on the blatant symbolism that the chainsaw is in fact an extension of Leatherfaces manhood, a phallic personification of his impotence which, I again, found extremely...
Gritty!!!

are you a good boy?

1. return of the living dead 3 (1993)
2. shocker (1989)
3. the cat people (1942)
4. the hunger (1983)
5. let me in (2010)
6. bride of re-animator (1989)
7. creature from the black lagoon (1954)
8. thir13en ghosts (2001)
9. blacula (1972)
10. swamp thing (1982)
nancylives! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #44
Mogwai
BANNED

Mogwai is three sheets to the wind.

Always Nants. Always!
Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #45
Heathen
BANNED

Heathen is advising that if you kiss a corpse, you had better be willing to go all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylives! View Post

are you a good boy?
Everyone says TCM2 is on the nose, but did anyone notice its subtle symbolism, unlike the obvious chainsaw of the orig? That clock's hands are straight up and down, clearly a symbol of sexy time erection.
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #46
BeRightBack
Flyboy

BeRightBack is not letting you spoil my party, even if it sucks big time!

Quote:
Yeah, so after nattering about the upcoming Chainsaw Massacre film I reckoned this should be in order...
I'm away with the beer fairies so if this makes no sense then just delete it but...

Along with probs every other horror fan out there, I have been puzzling about Tobe Hooper. Texas Chainsaw features highly in my list of favourite films. At least two of his other films are really worthwhile, Funhouse & Poltergeist. But, it all quickly unraveled for him and by the time he had moved on to Cannon in the mid-80's, he was pretty much over as a filmmaker. I think the crux of the problem is that he was not Hollywood material. He seems to have been a shy and almost asocial presence on his own sets, a kind of droopy, charmless guy, bullied off The Dark by the crass Kinski, sidestepped in Poltergeist by the more agile Spielberg, which can be viewed in Europe as the kind of quality that signifies an artist, but the Hollywood environment requires someone to direct the crowded set and costly , complicated production, and that means energetic decision-makers of some persuasive wit and strong character.

The bloke did not come up through the Hollywood system at all. He was a documentary cameraman in the 60's and you can see that in his best work. He did Chainsaw in a close circle of friends, away from the daft Hollywood fanfare. It just didn't seem like he could muster the ego for necessary friction to see that vision through (the drug problems were probably ways to cope with that). His own fault was that he couldn't find it in him to cut out on his own.

At any rate, I consider Hooper our loss. The guy had a genuine vision and that vision is prized by me, even snippets of it like we have here.

Hooper was a master, an auteur, unlike such modern day tosspots as Roth & Zombie.
Chainsaw is the most pure in this regard. But, it's a recurring feature in Eaten Alive, Salem's Lot, Poltergeist, and, of course, his magnum opus slasher classic, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

There is violent energy in the gears and walls of Hooper's world. By all accounts he seemed like a rather shy and retiring fellow, a small fish in the one man army ego pond mentality of say, Jackson or Raimi but Hooper was the man back in the day and, whereas louder players may have taken his mantle his presence will never be forgotten.
Tobe - I salute you.
nice write up.

I like his work, but like so many of the other classic horror directors, his peak was during the first half of his career. The Funhouse is one of my fav slashers, and I've grown to appreciate TCM over the years, where as I used to think it was really overrated.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #47
Splat
Fresh Kill

Splat is basking in the goresomeness that is Extreme Horror Cinema!

Quote:
Precisely!
Verite schmerite - if it makes your skin crawl then it's verily and veritarily mega I say I say I say.
I'm not gonna get drawn into the exact definition of the word 'gritty', it could, for eg, describe my anus after lying on the beach as much as it could be used to expound the atmosphere of Chainsaw Massacre so let's leave all verbose semantics at the fucking door and look at just how gritty Chainsaw Massacre is...
From the flashbulb shots of defiled corpses to the (now seminal) vision of Leatherface swinging his power tool (lol) over his head in the Texas sunset everything about this film is raw, poweful... and GRITTY!
I, for one found it gritty, gritty and, most importantly of all...
Gritty. And I haven't even touched on the blatant symbolism that the chainsaw is in fact an extension of Leatherfaces manhood, a phallic personification of his impotence which, I again, found extremely...
Gritty!!!
That was pretty gritty.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote