2012 BD Fall Horror Write-Off Discussion Thread - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > General Horror Talk

General Horror Talk Does it have something to do with horror? Does it not fit in anywhere else? Post It Here!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
Robcbh
Rotting Corpse

Robcbh is convinced we live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyscary View Post
Is there only going to be one opening sentance?
Im not sure about this year, but usually there is 3 to choose from.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #22
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Willowfang is half Thundercat on his childhood's side

I'm we'll still use 3 opening sentences as normal, but in addition, we'll see how a full scene and an location works out too.

We'll have to go by feel as to how that works out prolly since if we only get like 5-7 stories, it'll be hard to see how popular it was.

As you all know, we use a 2-3 specific genre/themes in the Spring, and in the Fall, we try to be a lot more open. We still try to use an jumping off point of some sort tho. The location and opening scene options we trying to meant to be just as open.

A story in the Congo or Amazon could have any monster whatsoever even a vampire or werewolf whereas, as a theme, vampire/werewolf is just that.

In any case, HMG put forth the idea, some peeps were intrigued, so I thought we'd give it a shot. We'll have to see how it works out, but in any case, we'll still have the 3 sentences as usual.
I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
Willowfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #23
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Erebus Dirge is dressing up his turds like barbie dolls with thedead flayed skins of his enemies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowfang View Post
I'm we'll still use 3 opening sentences as normal, but in addition, we'll see how a full scene and an location works out too.

We'll have to go by feel as to how that works out prolly since if we only get like 5-7 stories, it'll be hard to see how popular it was.

As you all know, we use a 2-3 specific genre/themes in the Spring, and in the Fall, we try to be a lot more open. We still try to use an jumping off point of some sort tho. The location and opening scene options we trying to meant to be just as open.

A story in the Congo or Amazon could have any monster whatsoever even a vampire or werewolf whereas, as a theme, vampire/werewolf is just that.

In any case, HMG put forth the idea, some peeps were intrigued, so I thought we'd give it a shot. We'll have to see how it works out, but in any case, we'll still have the 3 sentences as usual.
To be honest writing to spec is a great challenge and I've come up with some of my best stuff when I've been given a frame work to work within.

Another idea for the Amazon/Congo is undiscovered species as well as "real" monsters such as the fish that flies up your piss stream into your urethra.
There's also the lost tribes thing as well.

Here's a resource that I find interesting if I'm looking for more "exotic" folklore. I hope it comes in useful...
http://www.monstropedia.org/index.ph...ican_mythology
or
http://www.monstropedia.org/index.ph...nian_mythology
maybe
http://www.monstropedia.org/index.ph...egendary_races

" The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5

Last edited by Erebus Dirge; 08-23-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Erebus Dirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #24
yoxodo
Send... More... Paramedics

yoxodo is not going to wash his hands because hes EVIL

If we go with the whole "Dark Continent" thing, is it okay if l make prodigious use of the word "negroid"?

Just kidding, don't answer that.

Btw, lf anyone is interested, the man in my avatar, the great Robert E. Howard, wrote a string of stories that took place in wild and unexplored Africa. Many of his Solomon Kane tales are set there, and in other untamed regions of the world as well, circa 1700s...But be warned, they make prodigious use of the word "negroid".

Last edited by yoxodo; 08-24-2012 at 08:00 AM.
yoxodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #25
prettyscary
Wererabbit

prettyscary is flooping the pig!

How about if I just write a story and if it doesn't fit, disqualify me, but enjoy the story anyway. Seriously, it's going to be a location and a sentence? Are there photographs involved? LOL! I do my best with less, even just setting the genre drives me nuts in the spring.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #26
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyscary View Post
How about if I just write a story and if it doesn't fit, disqualify me, but enjoy the story anyway. Seriously, it's going to be a location and a sentence? Are there photographs involved? LOL! I do my best with less, even just setting the genre drives me nuts in the spring.
No, no. There's no "AND"

You can use a starting sentence, OR the scene, OR the location.

Each one has it's different freedoms.

With the sentence, you got your opening text and you can go 180* with it if you wish.

With the scene, you first paragraph/scene is rather guided, but you could then step out into a desert a do a 180*

With the location, you have other freedoms, you could do a normally urban horror like a vampire in Africa or something.
I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #27
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Erebus Dirge is dressing up his turds like barbie dolls with thedead flayed skins of his enemies

Quote:
No, no. There's no "AND"

With the sentence, you got your opening text and you can go 180* with it if you wish.

With the scene, you first paragraph/scene is rather guided, but you could then step out into a desert a do a 180*

With the location, you have other freedoms, you could do a normally urban horror like a vampire in Africa or something.
I agree. Having either a genre, location or scene setter is'nt a handicap but rather an aid to writing a decent story, makes you work that little harder too. It's like been given some basic materials and making something unexpected from it.

" The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5

Last edited by Erebus Dirge; 08-28-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Erebus Dirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #28
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Yeah, and sure, "darkness" is theme-ish when you think of the genre style set-up we use in the Spring. The sentence set-up I expect we'll always use in the Fall, and this "Full Scene" and location ideas we're trying out...

Well, I'm not trying to force a theme as specific as we use in the Spring, but more of a common thread of a starting point, otherwise the set of three sentences we'd have gotten in any case would just be all over the place.

I tried looking up verbs and adverb, but I just use them, not name them.

The concept we use in the Fall, isolated last year, darkness this year, by these I mean to give a "quality" for stories to start with that people can also go 180* if they so chose.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #29
prettyscary
Wererabbit

prettyscary is flooping the pig!

Quote:
No, no. There's no "AND"

Thank you for clearing this all up! NOW I understand what's going on!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #30
Mr. Monkey
I Eat Brains!

Mr. Monkey is enjoying Hump Day

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Monkey

I'm in. I will hopefully have a better working computer...my phone went into the wash which made up the majority of my internet traversing lately so I am pretty much without internet for awhile. But I will definitely try.