2012 BD Fall Horror Write-Off Discussion Thread - Page 2 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > General Horror Talk

General Horror Talk Does it have something to do with horror? Does it not fit in anywhere else? Post It Here!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
yoxodo
Send... More... Paramedics

yoxodo is not going to wash his hands because hes EVIL

ln phantasmagoric dreams of yesteryear, when bipedal cretins still walked on all fours and certain angled spires dripped with ancient slime, l witnessed terrible visions, bloody and disgusting things which could only have sprung from the wicked imaginings of the select few who had tasted death and revelled in it's glorious stench. And l knew that l must join them in their revelry...

ln other words, count me in.
yoxodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Willowfang is half Thundercat on his childhood's side

^You're in.

And as been said here and there, we'll be going with a certain theme/start of 'Darkness'

How that's shaping up so far is:

A few sentences

A "full scene" in that it gives a rough image of say a 'still photograph' like a snapshot from a movie

AND

A location or two for the story to be set in, like: Africa, The Dark Continent. Perhaps not today's common impression of Africa, but we can assume there's still isolated places, unexplored, or you can set the story back in the 1950s or even decades earlier.

Also, no story has to "stay" in that darkness, it's just a starting point if you just aren't feeling your story taking place there.
I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
Willowfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Erebus Dirge is dressing up his turds like barbie dolls with thedead flayed skins of his enemies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowfang View Post

And as been said here and there, we'll be going with a certain theme/start of 'Darkness'

A few sentences

A "full scene" in that it gives a rough image of say a 'still photograph' like a snapshot from a movie

AND

A location or two for the story to be set in, like: Africa, The Dark Continent. Perhaps not today's common impression of Africa, but we can assume there's still isolated places, unexplored, or you can set the story back in the 1950s or even decades earlier.

Also, no story has to "stay" in that darkness, it's just a starting point if you just aren't feeling your story taking place there.
I like the idea of an old school big-game hunter style story , that turns into something quite horrific and possibly supernatural.

Also I have another suggestion for location perhaps India or Thailand - they have a rich pantheon of gods/spirits and monsters that you can draw from.

" The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5
Erebus Dirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

We could just expand that to "Dark Continent" then.

The point being, one or more people going off the beaten track or into an unsettled area of any non first world country.

So Asia, Africa, Australia, South America, the Arctic or Antarctica. <-- Yes, some of these have quite a bit of civilization, but the story would take place in a time or place where the Western world knows little of the 'true' dangers that lie therein.
I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
prettyscary
Wererabbit

prettyscary is flooping the pig!

Quote:
^You're in.

A few sentences

AND

Darkness, I like. The rest of what you said is flying right over my head, I'm sorry, I need more coffee.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Erebus Dirge is dressing up his turds like barbie dolls with thedead flayed skins of his enemies

Quote:
We could just expand that to "Dark Continent" then.

The point being, one or more people going off the beaten track or into an unsettled area of any non first world country.

So Asia, Africa, Australia, South America, the Arctic or Antarctica. <-- Yes, some of these have quite a bit of civilization, but the story would take place in a time or place where the Western world knows little of the 'true' dangers that lie therein.
Perfect!I've got something in mind already, like Alan Quatermain meets Lovecraft! This ties in perfectly with themes of xenophobia and culture shock.
I don't know if Alaska or Siberia would qualify as well what are you thoughts on this?

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5
Old 08-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus Dirge View Post
Perfect!I've got something in mind already, like Alan Quatermain meets Lovecraft! This ties in perfectly with themes of xenophobia and culture shock.
I don't know if Alaska or Siberia would qualify as well what are you thoughts on this?
Those work too. could even be pre 1800 North America. Tho you can't escape geography altogether, the point being people that 'know' their world going in to an unknown world.

Many ways to put it tho.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #18
Robcbh
Rotting Corpse

Robcbh is convinced we live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity

I love the idea of using a location, but its beginning to seem like a "theme" now, though i wouldnt be opposed to using a theme.I think if it was a SPECIFIC location that we all had to write it would fall under the guise of the Fall write-off, but that may lead to some narrow(ish) choices for stories. And to the guidelines of the Fall write off, i think any sentence can be written to a specific location of the writer's choosing.

Last edited by Robcbh; 08-23-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Robcbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #19
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcbh View Post
I love the idea of using a location, but the thing is this is beginning to seem like a "theme" now though a bit, but i wouldnt be opposed to a theme.I think if it was a SPECIFIC location that we all had to write though, it would fall under the guise of the fall write-off, but that may lead to some narrow(ish) choices for stories. And to the guidelines of the Fall write off, i think any sentence can be written to a specific location of the writer's choosing.
Yeah I know what you mean it seems a little theme-driven but that can be destilled into the opening sentance that everyone can be issued.

For Example-

Foreigner. Name/she/he thought about that word. A word that now refered to him/her. He/she did'nt belong here. That sense of otherness and alienation was bad enough during the day, but when the sunset it became near unbearable.

Last edited by Erebus Dirge; 08-23-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #20
prettyscary
Wererabbit

prettyscary is flooping the pig!

Is there only going to be one opening sentance?