2012 BD Fall Horror Write-Off Discussion Thread - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > General Horror Talk

General Horror Talk Does it have something to do with horror? Does it not fit in anywhere else? Post It Here!

Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Willowfang is half Thundercat on his childhood's side

Default 2012 BD Fall Horror Write-Off Discussion Thread

Parameters are open for discussion with the following starting points:

1) Word limit is 5000. This should be more than enough for writers to include any and all desired dialogue and flavor text without having to squeeze and edit their ideas into the previous limits. Far lower word counts are just fine and worked well in past Write-Offs

2) All stories should begin being written on September 3rd and not before. Pre-existing ideas from other stories are fine, but the piece itself should be a new composition.

3) This Write-Off will use a selection of opening sentences to be presented on September 3rd

The Writers will have 6 weeks starting on Monday September 3rd to write their stories and they will then be posted one at a time and voted on in three subjective catagories as follows:

Readability: Is it easy to read, does it sound like good grammar or how someone would actually speak? Did you have to go back and reread or stop to figure out what was going on? (Spelling and grammar count, but to say it hurts the story isn't always true.) It's up to you how readable it was.

Concept: Is it fresh or familiar. Is it a good take or rendition on the idea. Was it a great presentation, or too familiar? Character developement fits here too (tho yeah, seems odd due to the heading of "concept") But how well presented are the characters? Are they fleshed out, do we understand or sympathize with them?

Atmosphere: Dread, horror, creepiness, ambiance, mood, immersion etc. How well does the story draw you in? Do you feel the danger, the distress of the world? Are you glad you're not in their shoes? Do you feel for the characters, the world, and/or the situation. If this were a movie, how happy were you watching it unfold? Does the atmosphere suck you in, or like a bad movie, are you checking your watch to see how much is left?

The scale for each catagory will be 1-5, Half points allowed

Stories will again be posted Anonymously.

There well be no deadline to sign up per se, but the details given to start will come on September 3rd, and the deadline to submit a story will be Monday October 15th. People seem to always want to join it in progress, they'll be at a disadvantage of course, but still welcome.

Rules are subject to change as I see fit in order to maintain the spirit of the contest. We're here to have fun, have a good time, and share some horrific stories and ideas.
Yoda
Beverly Hillbillies
She Drives Like Crazy
Gump
The Saga Begins
It's All About the Pentiums
Grapefruit Diet
White & Nerdy
Canadian Idiot
Smells Like Nirvana
Inactive
Eat It
Foil

Last edited by Willowfang; 08-06-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Willowfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Opening(s):

To be announced

Participants:

Erebus Dirge
horror_movie_girl
Mogwai
Mr. Monkey
Prettyscary
Robcbh
Spaced
Willowfang
yoxodo
zombaddict

=====

What we usually do each Fall is use 3 opening sentences. We, or rather Erebus Dirge mostly, have a new idea. And that is to use an @ 3 sentences to sent an opening scene. This scene would in no way set the monster, villain, or heroes, but unlike the singular sentences, paint the open shoot of the story in greater detail.

Example:

A singular sentence: Bob looked out over the valley....

Scene: Bob looked out over the valley, sword drawn as the sun slowly rose behind him. It took him days to get here, and now he had his chance.

=====

So give any thought on using a scene, which we may use in addition to the usual sentences.

Anyone wishing to join should post in this thread. As always, it's perfectly fine to say you'll write a story and then not turn something in. Real life happens and being unable to have a story to turn in on time may happen. No harm to foul if it does.
Yoda
Beverly Hillbillies
She Drives Like Crazy
Gump
The Saga Begins
Grapefruit Diet
White & Nerdy
Canadian Idiot
Smells Like Nirvana
Inactive
Eat It
Foil

Last edited by Willowfang; 08-31-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Robcbh
Rotting Corpse

Robcbh is convinced we live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity

I'm in
Old 08-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Erebus Dirge is dressing up his turds like barbie dolls with thedead flayed skins of his enemies

Got to say I like the scene setter idea. Maybe have it first , second and third person options though.

Also one theme suggestion so far - Hybrids and Half-Breeds. This can be interpreted in a variety of ways. The Hybrid or half-breed could be a character or creature in the story. Could be of mixed racial parentage ( social commentary horror). Or it could even me a genre mash-up such as a horror-western hybrid, a horror-noir/crime hybrid or a medical Horror-Romance hybrid. The rules are that both elements of the hybrid if relating to genre must be fairly easily defined. Maybe include genre guidelines and characteristics.

" The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5
Erebus Dirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
prettyscary
Wererabbit

prettyscary is flooping the pig!

I'm in! I still regret dropping the ball in the spring! Never again! Will the competition only be on this board then?

On a totally unrelated note, Willowfang, your song draft is shoving me back into high school against my will! I'm tempted to use it to create a playlist!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Erebus Dirge is dressing up his turds like barbie dolls with thedead flayed skins of his enemies

Another idea about the three sentence thing and theme as Willowfang's idea built around Darkness.

Beaten down by the onset of night, the sun crawled away on broken fingers, finally collapsing and bleeding -out across the horizon....

Darkness, it waits... It waits for the sun to set, for the candle flame to splutter-out, for the torch-light to falter and fail. Only then does it venture to reach out to crush the last remaining light that burns within our hearts.

(Name) hated the dark, always had ever since they were a child. (He\She) cried when the began to sun set. That awful feeling of inexplicable dread that seemed to creep into every cell.
(His\Her) parents and later (her\his) therapist would reassure them that (his\her) fears were irrational and unfounded. ( Name) had almost belived them, (he\she) had nearly convinced (himself\her self) that this was the case.

But that was then....

Just a couple of ideas , the third one might be a little leading. I don't know let me know what y'all think.

" The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5
Erebus Dirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
zombaddict
BANNED

zombaddict is Douglas the Caretaker

If the starting sentence has a given character name, can we change the name?
zombaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
horror_movie_girl
It... Won't... Die...

horror_movie_girl is checking into Arkham Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to horror_movie_girl

I'm in as usual I am fine with a topic or an opening sentence. You could also do a specific location setting like Antarctica or Africa.

My Pet Zombie Hates Your Guts But Loves Your Brain!!

Special Thanks to H.P. Pufncraft for making you want to click on my brain!!

My Horror Musings with a Psychotic Twist
Welcome to the Asylum: You Know You're Certifiable
horror_movie_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombaddict View Post
If the starting sentence has a given character name, can we change the name?
Yeah, that was just a place holder really. Any time there's a pronoun like Bob, it can be changed to any other name, or to him/her/he/she/it etc. Tenses can also be changed so it's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd person. 2nd person writing is pretty rare of course, but it's not off-limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horror_movie_girl View Post
I'm in as usual I am fine with a topic or an opening sentence. You could also do a specific location setting like Antarctica or Africa.
That's a cool idea. Keep things open, except for the location. Amazon comes to mind too.

And while our Spring themes dictate a story genre, our Fall ones are meant to be very open, but with some sort of starting point given so no one can start early.

A location makes for a neat start too.
Yoda
Beverly Hillbillies
She Drives Like Crazy
Gump
The Saga Begins
Grapefruit Diet
White & Nerdy
Canadian Idiot
Smells Like Nirvana
Inactive
Eat It
Foil
Old 08-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Robcbh
Rotting Corpse

Robcbh is convinced we live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowfang View Post
Yeah, that was just a place holder really. Any time there's a pronoun like Bob, it can be changed to any other name, or to him/her/he/she/it etc. Tenses can also be changed so it's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd person. 2nd person writing is pretty rare of course, but it's not off-limits.

That's a cool idea. Keep things open, except for the location. Amazon comes to mind too.

And while our Spring themes dictate a story genre, our Fall ones are meant to be very open, but with some sort of starting point given so no one can start early.

A location makes for a neat start too.
I am actually a big fan of the location thing...very interesting idea.