Sinister (2012) - Page 9 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #81
Midnight-Kroovy
The Living Dead

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfblood View Post
This film is kind of in the middle for me.

On one side, the home movies make this film. They're flat-out creepy, unsettling and the soundtrack adds to it. I'll also agree that Yard Work was the best of them, while I'll admit the scare on that wasn't as hard hitting as I thought it would be from reading the comments, it still certainly gave me a good jolt.

However on the other side, I particularly didn't care for anything else of the film. While Ethan did do a decent job, I wasn't fond of the exposition. I'll also agree with Wonderlust that Mr. Boogie was great until the end, some creatures are just better left in the shadows or in glimpses.

With that said, it's still worth checking out. Gotta' appreciate something that's able to be really creepy and dreadful, that and I will add that the found footage aspect was used better in this film then most films which are entirely found footage.
I completely agree with you. The build up of mystery was let down in the final act with bland twists in the story that left me feeling a bit empty and disappointed.

Having said that, it's been a few months since I watched it and those damn home movies have stayed with me, damn creepy. It's something I'll watch again and a sequel would interest me.
Midnight-Kroovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #82
BeRightBack
Flyboy

BeRightBack is not letting you spoil my party, even if it sucks big time!

Quote:

On one side, the home movies make this film. They're flat-out creepy, unsettling and the soundtrack adds to it. I'll also agree that Yard Work was the best of them, while I'll admit the scare on that wasn't as hard hitting as I thought it would be from reading the comments, it still certainly gave me a good jolt.

However on the other side, I particularly didn't care for anything else of the film. While Ethan did do a decent job, I wasn't fond of the exposition. I'll also agree with Wonderlust that Mr. Boogie was great until the end, some creatures are just better left in the shadows or in glimpses.

With that said, it's still worth checking out. Gotta' appreciate something that's able to be really creepy and dreadful, that and I will add that the found footage aspect was used better in this film then most films which are entirely found footage.
Nice post. The score definitely enhances the tension, and dread. On the other hand, I enjoyed Ethan Hawkes character. Trying to convince himself that he writes, because he loves it, and not for fame, or money. The mind games that he played with his own wife, because of it.

I also agree about the found footage. The movie was pretty aware of film, and technology in general, which I thought was cool. Another film that used partial FF formula recently was Lovely Molly, an almost equally disturbing movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
I completely agree with you. The build up of mystery was let down in the final act with bland twists in the story that left me feeling a bit empty and disappointed.

Having said that, it's been a few months since I watched it and those damn home movies have stayed with me, damn creepy. It's something I'll watch again and a sequel would interest me.
I can't disagree. I don't think any of those "twists" even mattered, seeing as the whole thing was explained pretty clearly before the finale even came. I just wish the ending was more graphic. Still, it's the scariest horror movie I've seen in a time, one that makes me want to purchase.
BeRightBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #83
TheReturnOfSarsoor
Rotting Corpse

TheReturnOfSarsoor has no status.

The only redeeming factor were the home movies. They were really creepy as hell and had me unsettled throughout the film. However, everything else was meh. Half the movie Ethan's character was wondering around the house holding a baseball bat with not much else going on.
TheReturnOfSarsoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #84
black coffee
It... Won't... Die...

black coffee has no status.

Send a message via MSN to black coffee

This movie suffered from having showed way too many of the creepy scenes in the trailer. That ruined a lot for me since I could predict how many of the scenes would go, having seen the trailer.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #85
prettyscary
Wererabbit

prettyscary is too jittery for more coffee, so shes only having one more cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black coffee View Post
This movie suffered from having showed way too many of the creepy scenes in the trailer. That ruined a lot for me since I could predict how many of the scenes would go, having seen the trailer.
That happens so often. It's irritating!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #86
dead breed
Super Moderator

dead breed is fire walk with me.

One thing bothered me..

If you heard a noise or something in your house and you got out of bed to look around .. Wouldn't you turn on a light? Lol

Hawke goes around in the dark for most of the movie.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #87
Colonel Cinematic
The Living Dead

Colonel Cinematic is the real Slim Shady.

Quote:

Absolutely this. It's really cool to see that people are really like this film, but the only thing that I found really interesting was the footage. I hated the make-up on the ghost children, and I too found to exposition to be kinda funky. I didn't like the ending either.
Colonel Cinematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #88
craftychicka
Fresh Kill

craftychicka is fucking awesome

Send a message via Skype™ to craftychicka

I thought this movie was pretty good... though honestly if they had cut out the ending (say the last minute) I would have liked it a lot more. I kinda felt like it cheapened the whole story. But I kind of like cheap scares in movies. Interesting concept, creepy imagery its worth a watch.
craftychicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #89
klownz666
Fresh Kill

klownz666 is Just klowning around!

One of the better films of the year
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #90
Deadly Fiend
Demigod

Deadly Fiend has no status.

Sequel is now officially moving forward. Hell yes!

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/642...moving-forward
Deadly Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote