Sinister (2012) - Page 7 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #61
Deadly Fiend
Demigod

Deadly Fiend has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyscary View Post
It's a good time and freaky to the very end!
I agree.
Deadly Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #62
Mogwai
BANNED

Mogwai is three sheets to the wind.

What a bag of shite. I thought the acting was good. The family had good chemistry and Ethan Hawke did a great job conveying his horror as he delved deeper into the murders. Also, the "found footage" murder films were VERY creepy and well done. The hanging home movie is really, really , er, sinister, top notch murder set piece and a genuinely upsetting sequence.

That said, I can't really come up with anything else good to say about this painting by numbers haunted house shockeroonie. If you aren't a family with 2 kids who also happen to live in a house where the previous family was murdered, you're safe! That's a pretty small demographic. Also, there's the completely convoluted pattern. Sooo, he, and by "he", I mean Mr Boogie (lame) gets mad when you move? It's also a bit of "the chicken and the egg". How did the first murder happen? The Pagan Deity this movie centres around was bordering on creepy in the blurred images we were shown at first. Unfortunately, the director decided "MOAR IZ BETTURR!!" and, just like that, we're supposed to accept that a member of Slipknot has turned to a life of eating children's souls. Add that to the endless cheap jump scares (The boy's night terrors served no other purpose than to provide two cheap, easy scares), an erratic sound track and "BOOM!" sound effects and this movie was a complete let down. I can only assume that the "OMFG!! The kidz did it!!!" was supposed to be what would "fuck a lot of people up" about this cliche and boring film.

There is, however, one reason to watch this film, at around an hour in there's an acting masterclass between the blonde English woman and Ethan Hawke that makes the entire film worthwhile. It's rare to see such an exchange in genre films.

5/10

Without such good acting it'd get a 1/10 for the creepy hanging home movie alone.
Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #63
Jayy
It... Won't... Die...

Jayy is in bed with Lindy Booth aboard the Sulaco.

I've watched this movie 3 times now and it's just creepy as hell. It was well thought out and Scott Derrickson is fucked in the head. Just damn good.

Hanging Out
BBQ
Pool Party
Sleepy Time

Fuck, who thinks of this shit. Great stuff.

Damn, all of them were brutal but Bughuul standing at the bottom of the swimming pool was f'ing creepy.

Can't wait for Sinister 2...

"Good night daddy"
Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #64
Deadly Fiend
Demigod

Deadly Fiend has no status.

Watched this again last night and it creeped me out just as much as the first time. This film has such a great nightmarish tone and I really liked Ethan Hawke's performance. Scariest film of the year, easily.
Deadly Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #65
Agent Panic
Fresh Kill

Agent Panic is not suffering fools lightly.

I just watched this for the first time and I friggin' loved it.

It wasn't necessarily scary, but it was damn good and entertaining. It did have a good sense of foreboding dread. It's like a cool twist on found footage. I thought it was a great flick.. if they make a sequel, I'll look forward to it.

The home movies were the best part of the movie, and just the mystery behind it. The Pool Party was insane. Hanging Out was insane. The Lawnmower was insane. I loved that kind of sick stuff.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #66
Santa
The Necromancer

Santa is stronger than the foundations of the earth

Though the outcome of the story was predictable and the acting of Ethan Hawke sometimes horrid as well, the film wasn't that bad at all. An eerie score from the great Christopher Young kept me on the edge of my seat and generated multiple goosebumb attacks on my back. Plus the opening scene with
Spoiler Below
the hanging family
was pretty shocking too. Solid, but not that great as hailed from some folks.

7/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll
I would jizz on you if I were a man. I would jizz on everything if I had a penis for one day. Oh man I bet that feels so good. You guys are so lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonia
I like to skip dessert and get right down to relaxing after a meal with a hot bath and a facial.
Santa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #67
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

I just finished watching this. Not bad but I felt it lacked...something. It kind of dragged but mae up for it with a satisfying ending.

Saying that though the home movies were creepy. I shit myself during the lawn mowing clip, and the rest of them, especially hanging around were very disturbing. The tone of the film was very dread filled and the soundtrack was very effective.

Not bad but not great but it did make me jump a few times.
Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #68
nancylives!
The Living Dead

nancylives! is living!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post

Hanging Out
BBQ
Pool Party
Sleepy Time
you forgot the best one: yard work. yeah, the home movies really made this movie for me. they were all creepy as hell, and i appreciated their clever, family-positive titles. and yes, the strength of this movie was its' sense of mounting dread. sinister was a perfectly entertaining creep-fest, and if you were lucky enuf to see it with a crowd in the right mood, well, then, all the better.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #69
Jayy
It... Won't... Die...

Jayy is in bed with Lindy Booth aboard the Sulaco.

Lawn Work made me jump like hell. Great movie.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #70
nancylives!
The Living Dead

nancylives! is living!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
Lawn Work made me jump like hell. Great movie.
me as well. it's one of the very few times in recent memory that i've physically jumped during a movie, and that's definitely worth something. the movie had a mean-spirited nihilism to it that i really admire.