Retro Gaming Discussion - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet


Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Don't Be A Nerd

Don't Be A Nerd Computers, Video Games, Technology... that sort of stuff

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
ObeySleepConform
Cunt from the Crypt
 
ObeySleepConform's Avatar
ObeySleepConform is watching the magic pumpkin...
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cuntsville, USA
Posts: 7,415
Default Retro Gaming Discussion

OK, I did a search and didn't really find anything so excuse me if there is something dedicated to this subject already, but I wanted to corral all general discussion about any games from the Atari 2600, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Sega Genesis eras. You can also include anything from before that point if you're really that ancient, but I'm guessing not too many people had anything like an Odyssey

So does anyone still own the older consoles or play any old school stuff to this day? I've recently re-acquired a Sega Genesis and am now on the quest to find some good stuff for it. On my PS3 I have the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis collection which is full of great Genesis games I never played, and I'm thinking of seeking out some original copies for my Genesis just so I can own them. But honestly I've always been the biggest fan of the SNES. Games like TMNT: Turtles in Time, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Killer Instinct, Super Mario World, and many others have always been my favorite. Honestly I think it's the best console to this day in terms of the sheer enjoyment value I get from it.

So, whatever you want to say about games of the past, by all means speak it here. Praise, Hate, Nostalgia, favorites and least favorites, easiest and hardest. Whatever. And with that, I'd like to bestow some videos of my own favorites just for viewing pleasure:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors


Sonic The Hedgehog 2


Killer Instinct


Turtles in Time
__________________
31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebonation04 View Post
I could post anything right now and no matter what Obey will have a dickish retort.
Disclaimer:
ObeySleepConform is not to be taken seriously.
You are probably better off skipping over ObeySleepConform's posts entirely.
Do not feed the ObeySleepConform
ObeySleepConform should probably be banned but isn't.
Your butthurt only makes ObeySleepConform grow stronger.

ObeySleepConform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
NocturnalCurves
Fresh Kill
 
NocturnalCurves's Avatar
NocturnalCurves is ultimately satisfied with life. Courtesty of Bethesda.
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 129
Send a message via Skype™ to NocturnalCurves
Default

The first console I ever played, was Sega Genesis! Mostly Sonic The Hedgehog, Aladdin (surprisingly good!), and Battletoads. I love the Genesis, and I still own it. The only problem is, I'm missing some cords... Don't know where I'll find, JUST the cords, but I'll try.

After that I mostly played PSX, and N64. Harvest Moon 64 is my favourite game of all time (say what you will, it's an amazing game).
As for Playstation, Tekken 2, FF VII, and Crash Bandicoot, practically raised me.

The best part about older consoles is discovering games you never knew about, and going back to play them. The graphics may not be perfect, but the stories and the gameplay never leave you bored.
__________________
"Death is not the end. There remains the litigation over the estate."
- Ambrose Bierce

GIF BLOG
PERSONAL BLOG
NocturnalCurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
ObeySleepConform
Cunt from the Crypt
 
ObeySleepConform's Avatar
ObeySleepConform is watching the magic pumpkin...
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cuntsville, USA
Posts: 7,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalCurves View Post
The first console I ever played, was Sega Genesis! Mostly Sonic The Hedgehog, Aladdin (surprisingly good!), and Battletoads. I love the Genesis, and I still own it. The only problem is, I'm missing some cords... Don't know where I'll find, JUST the cords, but I'll try.

After that I mostly played PSX, and N64. Harvest Moon 64 is my favourite game of all time (say what you will, it's an amazing game).
As for Playstation, Tekken 2, FF VII, and Crash Bandicoot, practically raised me.

The best part about older consoles is discovering games you never knew about, and going back to play them. The graphics may not be perfect, but the stories and the gameplay never leave you bored.
I have a used gaming store near me that sells old game console merchandise. It's where I bought my Genesis and they'd probably have the cords for sale too. If you happen to live in or near a big town I'd suggest you do an internet search to see if there's a place like that around your area as well. Other than that you could easily find cords on websites like ebay.

And yeah, I'm just discovering some old games I never played as well. I recently got into the Golden Axe games. The first one is difficult as hell, and once I thought I had it beat it turns out there's a false ending and you have to go on even further. I'm seriously frustrated with it right now.
__________________
31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebonation04 View Post
I could post anything right now and no matter what Obey will have a dickish retort.
Disclaimer:
ObeySleepConform is not to be taken seriously.
You are probably better off skipping over ObeySleepConform's posts entirely.
Do not feed the ObeySleepConform
ObeySleepConform should probably be banned but isn't.
Your butthurt only makes ObeySleepConform grow stronger.

ObeySleepConform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
NocturnalCurves
Fresh Kill
 
NocturnalCurves's Avatar
NocturnalCurves is ultimately satisfied with life. Courtesty of Bethesda.
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 129
Send a message via Skype™ to NocturnalCurves
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Gun Zombie View Post
I have a used gaming store near me that sells old game console merchandise. It's where I bought my Genesis and they'd probably have the cords for sale too. If you happen to live in or near a big town I'd suggest you do an internet search to see if there's a place like that around your area as well. Other than that you could easily find cords on websites like ebay.

And yeah, I'm just discovering some old games I never played as well. I recently got into the Golden Axe games. The first one is difficult as hell, and once I thought I had it beat it turns out there's a false ending and you have to go on even further. I'm seriously frustrated with it right now.
I go to some used video game stores on a fairly regular basis, but I just didn't think anyone would want to keep JUST the cords around. But I guess I should ask around before just assuming that it's hopeless. I did look on Ebay not too long ago and didn't find anything. The type of cords with the Genesis are like nothing else I own, so I'm not sure what to search other than "Sega Genesis console cords" or something like that.

Golden Axe is fucking awesome, but yes, DIFFICULT! The characters are all the best.

Maybe it's not very retro, but I'm playing through Final Fantasy IX right now, and it's fucking great. The graphics are gorgeous considering it's release date, and so far the story line is brilliant. I think it might actually beat FF VII!

__________________
"Death is not the end. There remains the litigation over the estate."
- Ambrose Bierce

GIF BLOG
PERSONAL BLOG

Last edited by NocturnalCurves; 12-08-2011 at 06:47 PM.
NocturnalCurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
TheSpineSplitter
Rotting Corpse
 
TheSpineSplitter's Avatar
TheSpineSplitter is in Mortuary School
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,157
Send a message via AIM to TheSpineSplitter Send a message via MSN to TheSpineSplitter
Default

ive been playing xmen mutant apocalypse for the snes and super mario world lately
__________________
originally posted by gwally: "Uses cardboard tampon applicators to smoke weed."
TheSpineSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
ObeySleepConform
Cunt from the Crypt
 
ObeySleepConform's Avatar
ObeySleepConform is watching the magic pumpkin...
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cuntsville, USA
Posts: 7,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalCurves View Post
I go to some used video game stores on a fairly regular basis, but I just didn't think anyone would want to keep JUST the cords around. But I guess I should ask around before just assuming that it's hopeless. I did look on Ebay not too long ago and didn't find anything. The type of cords with the Genesis are like nothing else I own, so I'm not sure what to search other than "Sega Genesis console cords" or something like that.

Golden Axe is fucking awesome, but yes, DIFFICULT! The characters are all the best.

Maybe it's not very retro, but I'm playing through Final Fantasy IX right now, and it's fucking great. The graphics are gorgeous considering it's release date, and so far the story line is brilliant. I think it might actually beat FF VII!

ebay can definitely hook you up. I assume you're looking for audio video cords? There's one here for modern day tvs, the red/white/yellow RCA cord:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis...#ht_3513wt_932
__________________
31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebonation04 View Post
I could post anything right now and no matter what Obey will have a dickish retort.
Disclaimer:
ObeySleepConform is not to be taken seriously.
You are probably better off skipping over ObeySleepConform's posts entirely.
Do not feed the ObeySleepConform
ObeySleepConform should probably be banned but isn't.
Your butthurt only makes ObeySleepConform grow stronger.

ObeySleepConform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
NocturnalCurves
Fresh Kill
 
NocturnalCurves's Avatar
NocturnalCurves is ultimately satisfied with life. Courtesty of Bethesda.
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 129
Send a message via Skype™ to NocturnalCurves
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Gun Zombie View Post
ebay can definitely hook you up. I assume you're looking for audio video cords? There's one here for modern day tvs, the red/white/yellow RCA cord:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis...#ht_3513wt_932
HOW DID I MISS THAT?
__________________
"Death is not the end. There remains the litigation over the estate."
- Ambrose Bierce

GIF BLOG
PERSONAL BLOG
NocturnalCurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
Shoggoth
The Living Dead
 
Shoggoth's Avatar
Shoggoth is in a land of confusion
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,505
Default

So glad someone made a thread for this. I have fallen almost completely out of love with the game industry as it is and love playing my older consoles. I actually just had my NES out about 3 days ago playing Contra. The NES was my first console and after replacing one part it plays like new. I have quite a large collection of NES games, many of them borrowed from a friend but he will never get them back. I really want to get a SNES as it is the only Nintendo console I don't own though it is my favorite era of gaming.

The console era I probably play the most though is the Gamecube/PS2/XBox. I love digging through those libraries of games and finding the gold.

You said you had just gotten a Genesis. I would suggest Lost Vikings off the top of my head. Get 2 friends and sit down and play that shit. So good.
__________________
Shoggoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
ObeySleepConform
Cunt from the Crypt
 
ObeySleepConform's Avatar
ObeySleepConform is watching the magic pumpkin...
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cuntsville, USA
Posts: 7,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoggoth View Post
I have fallen almost completely out of love with the game industry as it is and love playing my older consoles.
Honestly, I'm starting to feel the same way. Gaming today is becoming so popular among the mainstream that it seems like it has devolved into nothing more than cheap thrills for people to play only for a year and toss it for the next entry. So many gaming franchises are just recycling and restamping the same product on a bi-yearly basis. I know it sounds incredibly hipster to say, but it honestly feels as if hardly any developers make games to last longer than two years, what with the increasing focus on multplayer. There are exceptions though. Skyrim, Batman, and Deus Ex were all amazing this year. But if gaming keeps heading in the same direction, I may end up quitting new games altogether and just stick to the older games. As of now, the current state of gaming is what led me to re-explore the older generations so much more, and I'm definitely having a lot more fun.
__________________
31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebonation04 View Post
I could post anything right now and no matter what Obey will have a dickish retort.
Disclaimer:
ObeySleepConform is not to be taken seriously.
You are probably better off skipping over ObeySleepConform's posts entirely.
Do not feed the ObeySleepConform
ObeySleepConform should probably be banned but isn't.
Your butthurt only makes ObeySleepConform grow stronger.

ObeySleepConform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
NocturnalCurves
Fresh Kill
 
NocturnalCurves's Avatar
NocturnalCurves is ultimately satisfied with life. Courtesty of Bethesda.
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 129
Send a message via Skype™ to NocturnalCurves
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoggoth View Post
You said you had just gotten a Genesis. I would suggest Lost Vikings off the top of my head. Get 2 friends and sit down and play that shit. So good.
Don't know if that was directed at me, but I looked up Lost Vikings and It looks sweet. The music doesn't sound too bad either.

Also, Gamecube isn't retro, but I fucking loved the Gamecube. So many good games. Anybody that disagrees clearly didn't even try to look for the gems ON TOP of the great games it was released with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Gun Zombie View Post
There are exceptions though. Skyrim,
I could not agree more.
__________________
"Death is not the end. There remains the litigation over the estate."
- Ambrose Bierce

GIF BLOG
PERSONAL BLOG

Last edited by NocturnalCurves; 12-09-2011 at 12:27 PM.
NocturnalCurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-Present BLOODY-DISGUSTING LLC