Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006) - Page 132 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #1311
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myerszilla View Post
Me too, & even though it has a drastically different atmosphere than the remake, I still love the feel of the movie, because it maintains it's own level of grit.

Admittedly, I hated Leatherface's first skin mask that appears in the third act, but I've grown to like it more as time has passed.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE his first chainsaw kill. The music, camera angles, and pure brutally make it somehow triumphant lol
Old 02-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #1312
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting

It really does, especially since the dude acted like he was the baddest motherfucker walking the planet, until Leatherface shows up, dominates, & then completes his first chainsaw kill.

I also loved how at the beginning he's so close to killing that one worker at the slaughterhouse who called him a "dumb animal" but decides to target the boss instead.

I think what I enjoyed the most about this incarnation of Leatherface is that he's still manipulated his family, but he has a bigger mean streak, & a shit load of aggression that he has no problem releasing on anyone who crosses his path.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #1313
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
It really does, especially since the dude acted like he was the baddest motherfucker walking the planet, until Leatherface shows up, dominates, & then completes his first chainsaw kill.

I also loved how at the beginning he's so close to killing that one worker at the slaughterhouse who called him a "dumb animal" but decides to target the boss instead.

I think what I enjoyed the most about this incarnation of Leatherface is that he's still manipulated his family, but he has a bigger mean streak, & a shit load of aggression that he has no problem releasing on anyone who crosses his path.
Yeah, he seems more relentless in this than in the original series. In any of the movies.

Spoiler Below
The scene where he is ripping the skin off of the boyfriends head after killing him with a chainsaw is one of the most brutal things I've ever seen in a mainstream horror movies.
Shockingly heartless and bleak. I remember I saw it in theaters with my girlfriend and we were both kind of squirming with discomfort throughout the whole movie.

I honestly think this is a solid horror movie. I don't quite understand why it was so poorly received. This and the reboot have a kind a sepia-toned gothic atmosphere. Everybody is always sweaty and gross. It always looks hot and uncomfortable.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #1314
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

I find myself thinking the same thing every time I watch the movie....I don't get the reception towards it considering it's one of the best entries of the series, & it's not bad in any way.

Leatherface is scary, it establishes the origins of the family without screwing up the events of the remake, & the story is kept simple but is still effective. My first time watching this I had the same reaction as you & your girlfriend. Back then I was a little younger & not used to horror movies, so it scared the shit of me, especially when that scene occurred.

Ultimately, I'm glad PD decided to go the prequel route rather than giving a sequel with a one-armed Leatherface & probably a terrible explanation as to how the family escaped the authorities.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #1315
trachea
The Living Dead

trachea is making her own "HOMEMADE" hotdogs.

Worst prequel ever. The story line skimmed what could have been an awesome history, and the characters changed and had less substance than the remake... Which wasn't alot.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #1316
Frey
BANNED

Frey is here to fulfill Ra's Al Ghul's destiny!

Send a message via Yahoo to Frey

I need to rewatch this as well as the remake. I have both on dvd. The only ones I dont have is TNG and Leatherface (my last copy got broke). I seem to remember how the family seemed to be more straight to the point rather than in the original series where they would toy with their victims. However with that being said, Gunnar is still my favoriter Leatherace.
Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #1317
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

I did like the cast, but I will admit they didn't have that little "spark" that the cast of the remake had. And Jordana Brewster's character was pretty stupid.

First she failed to get the gun from the car wreck (which was totally within reach), & then, instead of going to free her friend (who is upstairs screaming her lungs out), she watches Leatherface amputate Uncle Monty's legs, makes herself noticed, & then tries to free her friend so they can escape.

And Gunnar is definitely still the best Leatherface. His mannerisms, frantic movements, & everything else just can't be matched. But, Andrew Bryniarski & Dan Yeager both gave very worthwhile performances that I consider to be the best Leatherface portrayals outside of Gunnar's.

Last edited by Myerszilla; 02-03-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Myerszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #1318
trachea
The Living Dead

trachea is making her own "HOMEMADE" hotdogs.

Yeah sometimes I find they just rush the storyline to get to the gore. You know. Sometimes less is more. I could go for a good documentary style type remake. Somethin
Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #1319
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

I agree with "less is more" because that's why the original worked so well. I do think that, given the sheer name of this franchise, showing good doses of gore is great, but it's always better to leave some things a mystery, because the mind is instantly more terrified when there are no abundant answers & you're left to wonder what the extent of the damage was.

As for a documentary style remake, I like the idea, but would prefer it be done for a stand-alone. Truthfully, I'd like to see a sequel to TCM 3D that actually tries harder to be scary & incorporates those less cliche elements that can make a horror movie stronger.

But, if a different route was taken, it should definitely be a stand alone. No remake or requel to any of the original movies; a completely fresh start with a new, interesting interpretation of Leatherface & his clan.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #1320
Se7en
It... Won't... Die...

Se7en is Dr. Octagon

Quote:
I agree with "less is more" because that's why the original worked so well. I do think that, given the sheer name of this franchise, showing good doses of gore is great, but it's always better to leave some things a mystery, because the mind is instantly more terrified when there are no abundant answers & you're left to wonder what the extent of the damage was.

As for a documentary style remake, I like the idea, but would prefer it be done for a stand-alone. Truthfully, I'd like to see a sequel to TCM 3D that actually tries harder to be scary & incorporates those less cliche elements that can make a horror movie stronger.

But, if a different route was taken, it should definitely be a stand alone. No remake or requel to any of the original movies; a completely fresh start with a new, interesting interpretation of Leatherface & his clan.
Why can't we just leave the TCM legacy alone?