50's Sci-Fi/Horror and the Red Scare - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Classic Horror

Classic Horror From earliest Horror Classics - 1950's.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Niallist
Fresh Kill

Niallist is going to make an opening in your head for brains to leak in.

Default 50's Sci-Fi/Horror and the Red Scare

A lot of film historians and viewers, when looking back at science fiction films from the Cold War (particularly the McCarthyist fifties) see a cinematic body rife with fear of the Communist threat. Examples of such movies might include Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Blob, Them, and The Thing From Outer Space, all of which involve amassed forces advancing on, infiltrating, destroying, and/or enveloping middle America.

Though I'm inclined to agree that these sentiments of paranoia and infiltration are obvious symptoms of American cultural reaction to the Red Menace, I've also heard a lot of critics (including The Blob screenwriter Rudy Nelson) who totally dismiss these ideas, or at least downplay them.

How much of a role, if any, do you think Cold War paranoia played in the creation and popularity of such films, and what other possible examples can you think of?
Niallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
Dead & Messed Up
Fresh Kill

Dead & Messed Up is walking with the dead.

I smell homework.
03/04/12 - Review: The Video Dead (Robert Scott)
Dead & Messed Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
Robert Thorn
Fresh Kill

Robert Thorn is in Horrorfest Mode

Look, the people who made those films can deny the influence of commie/Red Scare 50s paranoia on their work all they want, but its clearly there. The only one of the bunch that may be the least obvious is probably The Thing From Another World and maybe Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and even those films are clearly about fear of the godless commie heathens conquering us and defeating good old fashioned American values and beliefs. All hail capitalism!

This has nothing to do with where I came from, or what happened to me... I would've ended up here no matter what. I made a choice, I made a choice to provide a counterbalance to all those things that we hold good... and pure. You chose journalism, okay.
Robert Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote