Onibaba - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Foreign Horror

Foreign Horror Discussion for horror films from non US markets

Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
licata1708
It... Won't... Die...

licata1708 has no status.

Default Onibaba

This film sounds amazing and deserves it's own thread from what I can tell. I am going to try to see it as soon as possible. Anyone that already has please post your opinions and comments.

Quote:
Onibaba (1964)
103 min. (V) (DVD)
Directed by Kaneto Shindō.
With Nobuko Otowa, Jitsuko Yoshimura, Kei Sato, Taiji Tonomura, Jukichi Uno, Somesho Matsumoto, Kentaro Kaji, Hosui Araya.

A beautifully photographed Japanese horror. The plot: times are tough in medieval Japan, where two warring factions battle for their respective Emperors and for control of the kingdom. As a result, people across the land are dying of starvation and deprivation. Alone in the wet (but infertile) marshlands, a mother and her daughter-in-law manage to survive as best they can - namely, by killing samurai warriors who wander through their area, selling the wares of the dead in an underground black market, and disposing of the corpses via a huge black pit in the ground. Nice work if you can get it, eh? But when the younger woman falls in love with a returning soldier, the mother becomes worried she'll be abandoned. She dons a horrific death mask and attempts to scare her daughter into compliance. However, playing a demon proves to be tantamount to becoming one...Also known as The Hole, this intriguing terror contrasts its stark & primitive atmosphere with dreamlike spurts of moody imagery. Gets a bit too Tennessee Williams in the middle (ok, Williams by way of Asia), but generally it's too good to be ignored. Check out the excellent double murder opening, itself topped only by a genuinely spooky climax.

licata1708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
Paradis v.1
The Living Dead

Paradis v.1 has no status.

i have the Criterion Collection. It owns
Old 07-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #3
licata1708
It... Won't... Die...

Fantastic! It looks like it does.
Thanks!

Old 07-12-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
Nosferatuscreams
Send... More... Paramedics

Nosferatuscreams has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nosferatuscreams Send a message via MSN to Nosferatuscreams

It's a pretty great horror flick. Creepy, atmospheric, and surprisingly emotional. Morally conflicted characters that give you something to reflect on, even if it's indirect. The scenery and camera work is beautiful, but I'm a sucker for samurai films and the like, it's that whole feudal Japan setting. I love the way it feels sort of closed off, or claustrophobic, even when you're in an open field. Lingering on the reeds blowing in the wind is incredibly effective. I loved that. There's so much to say, but I think experiencing the film is the only way you'll understand, you won't be disappointed. I think I may have injected some interest on here by picking it in last year's horror draft.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:11 AM   #5
Severn
It... Won't... Die...

Severn is thinking he would go back in time and nail Deborah Harry.

Send a message via AIM to Severn Send a message via MSN to Severn Send a message via Yahoo to Severn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradis v.1
i have the Criterion Collection. It owns
I'm in the same camp you're in.

- Frankenstein's Monster.
Severn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
MR SINISTER
I Eat Brains!

MR SINISTER is resurrected once more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatuscreams
It's a pretty great horror flick. Creepy, atmospheric, and surprisingly emotional. Morally conflicted characters that give you something to reflect on, even if it's indirect. The scenery and camera work is beautiful, but I'm a sucker for samurai films and the like, it's that whole feudal Japan setting. I love the way it feels sort of closed off, or claustrophobic, even when you're in an open field. Lingering on the reeds blowing in the wind is incredibly effective. I loved that. There's so much to say, but I think experiencing the film is the only way you'll understand, you won't be disappointed. I think I may have injected some interest on here by picking it in last year's horror draft.
Everything Nos just said is true. He stole it from me in the last draft but I got it this time. If anyone here is thinking about buying it, If you get the chance buy the region 2 Eureka release. The Criterion is cropped pretty badly.

By the way Nos, Where the fuck is your Samurai thread?
MR SINISTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #7
MikeBonomo
It... Won't... Die...

MikeBonomo is festival circuit with Assassins

Send a message via AIM to MikeBonomo

I really have been meaning to see it and its on my netflix list...i was just worried about bumping it up cuz im trying to catch all the dvds i can't get at bestbuy and blockbuster

Check out my NEW official website HERE.
MikeBonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
Chainsaw Suicide
Send... More... Paramedics

Chainsaw Suicide has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Chainsaw Suicide

I also have the criterion. It rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_01976 View Post
I have never done drugs and I never will. I was even the best student in the D.A.R.E. program back in the 80s.
Chainsaw Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
Rakugaki
Fresh Kill

Rakugaki is playing freezetag with ice picks

When it's released later this year, check out Jigoku as well. It's another underrated Japanese horror.
Rakugaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
licata1708
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakugaki
When it's released later this year, check out Jigoku as well. It's another underrated Japanese horror.

Yeah I have my eye on that, thanks for the recomendation!
It looks very very good!
I am trying to get more into seeing "vintage" japanese horror