Noroi (2005) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Foreign Horror

Foreign Horror Discussion for horror films from non US markets

Old 11-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Gambit1138
Not Dead Yet

Gambit1138 has no status.

Default Noroi (2005)

Anyone else see this film besides me? I found it to be particularly entertaining and the ending was one of the creepiest things I'd seen in a long time.

Summary from TwitchFilm-

When developers arrive to build a new dam, Shimokage Village is slated for destruction. Its inhabitants perform their mysterious demon ritual for the last time, but something goes horribly wrong…

Soon afterwards, Masafumi Kobayashi, a TV journalist with a fascination for documenting the paranormal, receives a letter from a woman describing strange noises coming from her neighbor’s house. He decides to introduce himself to the neighbor, Junko Ishi, the last woman to take part in the demon ritual.

A series of seemingly unconnected events occurs and Kobayashi manages to acquire video footage of it all: First, a little girl suddenly develops uncanny psychic powers and is kidnapped. Then, actress Marika Matsumoto visits a shrine rumored to be haunted and becomes possessed. Kobayashi interviews hospital employees who reveal a rumor that someone is stealing dead and aborted fetuses. Finally, a self proclaimed “super psychic” that Journalist Kobayashi frequently consults starts to lose his mind, covering himself and his house in tin foil and proclaiming that ectoplasmic worms are coming to eat us all.

A word that Kobayashi keeps coming across in his investigation is “Kagutaba.” He realizes all of the strange events are somehow connected to this name, and to Junko Ishii, the crazed participant in the ritual.

Kobayashi learns through a collector of ancient folklore of the demonic ritual to appease the demon Kagutaba, formerly performed in the now submerged village. He sets off to meet with the relocated residents, a superstitious group of people who all keep sickles hanging over their doors. He brings along the possessed actress and the insane psychic, drawing them all into a world of evil. In his quest to capture the identity of Kagutaba on video, Kobayashi will sacrifice everything and anyone.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Gambit1138
Not Dead Yet

Trailer here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=7A5VNsEeAMY
Old 04-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
ZantiMisfit
Rotting Corpse

ZantiMisfit is never going to see the Eagles win a Super Bowl in his lifetime

I just had a chance to see this ... and I thought it was terrific. Really creepy stuff that just builds in intensity, and earns its scares honestly (rather than using the cheap jump scare).

The TwitchFilm summary above gives away a little more plot details than I'd like to see, but maybe it's for the better since it shows this is not another "ghost girl" J-horror. I've seen comparisons to "Blair Witch Project" for "Noroi". And while there are some similarities, there are plenty of differences that this is in no way a rip-off (or something for BWP haters to avoid). I really liked the investigative aspect of the movie. You start with Kobayashi filming stuff for what seems to be a generic "ghost hunter" kind of reality show. But the things that he sees starts leading him on a trail, and the story gets bigger and more disturbing as he progresses. It kind of reminded me of the structure of classic Lovecraft stories. But instead of the hero digging into old books, he digs up film and tv recordings. And you have that same sense of mounting dread - that eventually the protaganist will learn too much and the horror will consume him. The way the tone shifts is well-done. It's light at the start, almost comedic. Some of the video clips are silly, like Japanese tv can be. And the "Super Psychic" Mr. Mori is so over-the-top that he almost comes across like a comic relief character.

I like that some real people were cast as themselves to add to the "reality" (I recognized the actress from "Reincarnation"). This isn't a movie for gore-hounds. The blood wouldn't get more than a PG-13, though the movie could still merit an R for overall disturbing tone and some nasty plot developments involving children. I thought "Noroi" was pretty coherent for a J-Horror - I had no trouble keeping the characters straight, and I thought the plot actually explained itself pretty well.

Sucks that this hasn't been released for US DVD, because it's better than a lot of the stuff that's out there. "Noroi" seems highly considered of those that have seen it, some I'm not sure what the hold-up is. But for those of you savvy with tracking down obscure movies - you can find it if you look. After all, I did .
ZantiMisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
The Geek
It... Won't... Die...

The Geek is eating shit and dying!

Send a message via Skype™ to The Geek

I have this on a DVD-R in one of the folders. Need to watch it sometime. Looks uber creepy.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
Kamui_X
Send... More... Paramedics

Kamui_X is Infini-Awesome!

I saw this about a year ago, and I thought it was excellent. Really underrated in the J-horror field, as I never hear anyone ever bring it up (I've been guilty of forgetting about mentioning it myself). It's among only 2 or 3 films I've seen since Blair Witch that takes the same directing gimmick and makes it really work. There's some seriously creepy scenes in the film, and I honestly bought it being real for the first 20 or so minutes as Masafumi Kobayashi comes off really natural and authentic (I'd like to see him in some more films!).

This was definitely one of the stand-out J-horror flicks that came from the "boom" created in the early 2000's. Most of them were sub-standard (and still are), but this one deserves a look even from the most jaded J-horror fan.
Kamui_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
The Geek
It... Won't... Die...

The Geek is eating shit and dying!

Send a message via Skype™ to The Geek

Now this is how you build up a horror film.

Effective little horror picture that is sadly not being as seen as other J-horror. Sad cause this isn't the typical J-horror film. No long haired girl ghosts here.

I did feel it was a tad too long but it never bored me. It look and felt realstic and that was the most important part of the film for me, if I believed this was really happening or not and I truly thought it was.

I loved how everything all came together in the end. The movie earned its scares. No cheap jump scares here.

The ending was creepy. Don't want to talk about it further. The less known, the better.

Everyone needs to give this film a view, NOW.

8/10
Old 06-24-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
Gambit1138
Not Dead Yet

Recent email correspondence with Kadokawa USA has told me that Noroi has plans to be released on DVD in the US this year
Old 06-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Raze
Fresh Kill

Raze is chill

This has been getting alot of praise, I might have to watch it tonight.

no adds, no bs, just free picks
www.sports-picker.com
Raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Raze
Fresh Kill

Raze is chill

Turned it off 20 minutes in, more Japa Crap.

no adds, no bs, just free picks
www.sports-picker.com
Raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
Kamui_X
Send... More... Paramedics

Kamui_X is Infini-Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raze View Post
Turned it off 20 minutes in, more Japa Crap.
No accounting for taste, I guess...thanks for the great insight...
Kamui_X is offline   Reply With Quote