The Creature From The Black Lagoon (1954) - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Classic Horror

Classic Horror From earliest Horror Classics - 1950's.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:01 AM   #21
CJ_01976
It... Won't... Die...

CJ_01976 is gone

Send a message via MSN to CJ_01976

I love "The Creature From The Black Lagoon".
CJ_01976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:35 AM   #22
SlightlyDemented
The Living Dead

SlightlyDemented is waiting for you to invite him in.

Like King Kong, I hope to someday have two great versions of this film to love. And we have Stan Winston to thank for the fabulous updates on the classic monsters in The Monster Sqaud.
Lethal Weapon - 8/10
The Vanishing '88 - 8.5/10
The Masque of the Red Death - 6.5/10
SlightlyDemented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:43 AM   #23
CJ_01976
It... Won't... Die...

CJ_01976 is gone

Send a message via MSN to CJ_01976

"The Monster Squad"=class.
CJ_01976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #24
visitedbyvoices
Fresh Kill

visitedbyvoices has no status.

THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON follows some of the classic Universal monster formula, but has some striking differences. The creature is purely natural- not man-made (FRANKENSTEIN) or supernatural (DRACULA, THE MUMMY). Our sympathy for him, then, is much the same as our regret at the climax of KING KONG. Neither creature deserves to die simply for being what it is, but human society seems destined to destroy anything it views as its better or even equal- you could argue that many classic monster films are an argument against man's dissolution of the concept of God. The GillMan represents a legitimate alternative to humanity, albeit one that has yet to form language or a society. The "scientists" expect to find a fossil, their assumption being that a creature such as the GillMan would have been driven out by natural selection eons ago (as the prologue to the film hints). When they discover a living creature instead, they attempt to capture it, in essence reducing it to the level of a caged animal.

Now, I ask you, what modern horror film gives you this much to think about?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:52 AM   #25
living dead man
Not Dead Yet

living dead man has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitedbyvoices
THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON follows some of the classic Universal monster formula, but has some striking differences. The creature is purely natural- not man-made (FRANKENSTEIN) or supernatural (DRACULA, THE MUMMY). Our sympathy for him, then, is much the same as our regret at the climax of KING KONG. Neither creature deserves to die simply for being what it is, but human society seems destined to destroy anything it views as its better or even equal- you could argue that many classic monster films are an argument against man's dissolution of the concept of God. The GillMan represents a legitimate alternative to humanity, albeit one that has yet to form language or a society. The "scientists" expect to find a fossil, their assumption being that a creature such as the GillMan would have been driven out by natural selection eons ago (as the prologue to the film hints). When they discover a living creature instead, they attempt to capture it, in essence reducing it to the level of a caged animal.

Now, I ask you, what modern horror film gives you this much to think about?
Great post! well, they just don't make sympathetic monster movies anymore. Actually the last one was "Nightbreed".
Old 01-29-2007, 01:33 AM   #26
Slasher Freak
It... Won't... Die...

Slasher Freak is BACK?

Location: Livin' on Failure St. Two blocks south of Pathetic My Zipcode? All Zeroes
Thumbs up

I watched this for the 1st time recently and I love it.
Yeah, I'm finally watching more b&w horror.

8/10

If You Can't Find A Friend, Make One
Slasher Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:28 AM   #27
ZantiMisfit
Rotting Corpse

ZantiMisfit is never going to see the Eagles win a Super Bowl in his lifetime

Wow, a classic monster-movie thread at B-D! "Creature" is an interesting movie. It's well after the first wave of classic Universal monster movies, and at the time when the "atom age" sci-fi movies were becoming the rage. As such, it has a mixture of characteristics from the two eras. As noted, the Gill-Man is a sympathetic monster in the vein of Frankenstein, Wolf Man, and the Mummy. But you have the more "modern" themes of mankind's quest for exploration and inherent arrogance. "Creature" is an A-list movie, beautifully shot with production values well ahead of its peers. And the design of the Gill-Man is iconic. Great music too. The B&W oldies may have lost most of their power to scare these days. But their sympathic view of the monsters give them an emotional power that many more current movies lack.

Unfortunately, the 2 sequels go downhill really fast. The budgets for both for massively downgraded, resulting in most of the movies being land-based. "Revenge" is laughably bad, and was a deserving target of scorn by MST3K. Not to say that it wasn't entertaining ... and the Gill-Man has some good moments. But the dialog and plot are silly as can be. Of note is one of the first speaking roles (in not THE first) of Clint Eastwood. It's a silly scene, where Clint plays a dim-witted lab assistant and essentially provides a little comic relief. "Creature Walks" has some good ideas, and a truly powerful ending. But there's a lot of dull talking and lame melodrama taking up a lot of space.

It's worthwhile getting Universal's "Legacy" pack, with all 3 movies and retrospective features and film commentaries. Hell, they're all worth getting -- for just the cost of one movie you get 3-5 classics plus bonus features.
ZantiMisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:55 AM   #28
Ashton
Fresh Kill

Ashton has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Ashton Send a message via MSN to Ashton Send a message via Yahoo to Ashton

YEAH!!! The Creature rocks; I love this movie as well. The sequels, like pretty much all the sequels in the classic Universal franchise(s) aren't very good (the exception as far as Universal's sequels go, is of course "Bride of Frankenstein."

Aaaanyway, the original "Creature from the Black Lagoon is an amazing film, emotional, creepy, with fantatic special effects for the time.

But as some of you may know, there's going to be a remake.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485799/

IMDB lists it as being released in '08...

My DVD's
+5 Trader Status

"God has left the building."
Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:19 AM   #29
PERISH
Not Dead Yet

PERISH is without status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
YEAH!!! The Creature rocks; I love this movie as well. The sequels, like pretty much all the sequels in the classic Universal franchise(s) aren't very good (the exception as far as Universal's sequels go, is of course "Bride of Frankenstein."

Aaaanyway, the original "Creature from the Black Lagoon is an amazing film, emotional, creepy, with fantatic special effects for the time.

But as some of you may know, there's going to be a remake.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485799/

IMDB lists it as being released in '08...
I hope thay don't fuck it up!!!!:confused:
PERISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:53 AM   #30
Slasher Freak
It... Won't... Die...

Slasher Freak is BACK?

Location: Livin' on Failure St. Two blocks south of Pathetic My Zipcode? All Zeroes

I can't wait for a GOOD remake of this.

If You Can't Find A Friend, Make One
Slasher Freak is offline   Reply With Quote