Alice In Chains reunion - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Music Discussion

Music Discussion Wow that new Britney Track Rules! Talk about that (and other music stuff) here.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
depecheanix
It... Won't... Die...

depecheanix is fgsdoi dsn dsnfm ods

Default Alice In Chains reunion

Not personally in to them but thougth it would be intresting

antiMusic reports: the admin of Jerry Cantrell's official website posted an update about the Alice In Chains reunion. Although he doesn't spill the beans about who will be taking over vocal duties for the late Layne Staley, he does confirm that the band will reunite for the Nova Rock Festival and drops a hint that more shows may be booked. Here's his posting:

"I hate to keep on saying, this but as most of you have heard Alice will be performing at Nova Rock in Austria. This is true. Alice is back.

"Europe is a long way to go for just one show, so I feel that we are going to have a lot more to do.

"Because this is Europe and a big festival don't count on any special Alice tickets but you never know what the future brings.

"Let me explain why things went down the way they went down. It was not the way we wanted it to happen. The festival promoter secured a bunch of really big bands like Metallica, Guns N' Roses and Alice. The promoter decided to have a big press conference on Monday. We had not finished securing the 'business side' of the show by the time Monday rolled around. Because Monday was President's Day, our office was closed and we could not make a decission regarding releasing the info to you guys. Our European agent, because our office was closed made an executive decision to release the show info. We fully support his choice but could not say anything untill we spoke to him to get the full stroy and due to the time difference and travel we could not make the announcement untill just now.

"Guys, please remember that nothing is official unless it comes from our office. We like to surprise you but sometimes that is not always possible.

Jerry [Cantrell, guitar], Mike [Inez, bass], Sean [Kinney, drums] and the managment team are doing our best to keep you guys informed. You mean a lot to the guys and they want you to know that.

"I feel the rumblings of more stuff coming down the road."

Alice In Chains frontman Layne Staley died on Apr. 5, 2002 from a mixture of heroin and cocaine. Staley was found dead two weeks later, surrounded by intravenous drug paraphernalia in his Seattle apartment. The death certificate reads Staley's death resulted from "an acute intoxication due to the combined effects of opiate (heroin) and cocaine." The death was classified as "accidental."

As previously reported, Comes With The Fall vocalist/guitarist and member of Jerry Cantrell's touring band William DuVall has been tapped to sing lead vocals with Alice In Chains at the taping of an episode of VH1 Classic's "Decades Rock Live!", a tribute to Heart that will take place March 10 at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City. It is not presently clear if DuVall will be joining the group on any of the other dates that are currently being scheduled.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/..._official.html
Old 02-22-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
alleywaykrew
It... Won't... Die...

alleywaykrew is back from the grave.

Send a message via AIM to alleywaykrew

I love Alice In Chains, but unless there's some sort of zombie Layne singing in front of them, I couldn't care less.
Facebook
MySpace
alleywaykrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Campy Zombie
Rotting Corpse

Campy Zombie has no status.

2 words: Scott Weiland.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
alleywaykrew
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy Zombie
2 words: Scott Weiland.
3 words: Please god, no.
Facebook
MySpace
Old 02-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
travis83
The Living Dead

travis83 is the thread killer

It'll probably just be Jerry singing the songs. I remember reading (perhaps in the linear notes for the boxset or maybe it was a Guitar World interview) that Jerry wanted to get the band together again even if Layne wasn't in it. He just wanted to get Layne's permission to continue on without him.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
John Doe Se7en
I Eat Brains!

John Doe Se7en has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis83
It'll probably just be Jerry singing the songs. I remember reading (perhaps in the linear notes for the boxset or maybe it was a Guitar World interview) that Jerry wanted to get the band together again even if Layne wasn't in it. He just wanted to get Layne's permission to continue on without him.
If I'm not mistaken didn't he (Jerry) do the vocals at their first reunion show in tribute of the grunge greats who have died in Seattle; for the deceased members of Screaming Trees, Nirvana & Alice in Chains.

It is very hard to find someone with the vocal capacity of Layne Staley he was as gifted as they come. A grungy voiced Freddie Mercury as I see it. I think Scott Weiland could do it, but wouldn't sound like him. I think the only person who could handle the songs and sound like him is Axl Rose. But that is not happening. Eddie Vedder probably could if he would actually sing like a human being instead of mumbling ridiculous paragraphs of nonsense.

Chris Cornell could be a canidate, but again the sound of his voice isn't that suttleness of Layne's. Cornell is more scratchy and deep. When Layne sang it was like Moses parting the fucking sea.

If I could choose, I'd pick Corey Taylor from Slipknot and Stone Sour. He has the perfect range of voice and has a multitude of sounds that make a very versatile and valid candidate, in my estimation. I hope this is their choice.

Last edited by John Doe Se7en; 02-22-2006 at 04:54 PM.
John Doe Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
Count Dragula
I Eat Brains!

Count Dragula has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Count Dragula Send a message via MSN to Count Dragula

They've already "reunited" recently before, they performed a benefit concert in Seattle for victims of the Tsunami.. I guess Pat Lachman (damageplan) did primary vocals, with the aid of Wes Scantlin (puddle of mudd) and maynard james keenan (tool) aswell as Ann Wilson (heart).. doing backing vocals on "brother" again. Not sure how it all turned out.. was only able to read about it.

Meh, I love alice in chains believe me. But it's just not alice without layne.. I could go on and on as to why I feel that way.. but fuck it. Guess it's just sort of reminds me of the "the doors 21st century"..
Old 02-22-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
John Doe Se7en
I Eat Brains!

John Doe Se7en has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Dragula
Meh, I love alice in chains believe me. But it's just not alice without layne.. I could go on and on as to why I feel that way.. but fuck it. Guess it's just sort of reminds me of the "the doors 21st century"..
haha, I hear what you're saying. Yeah it's tough to replace what you're used to and especially a lead singer as incredible as Layne.

It's tough man it's like Killswitch Engage getting a new singer. I think Howard Jones is a great replacement, but he is no Jesse Leach.
John Doe Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #9
alleywaykrew
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe Se7en
If I could choose, I'd pick Corey Taylor from Slipknot and Stone Sour. He has the perfect range of voice and has a multitude of sounds that make a very versatile and valid candidate, in my estimation. I hope this is their choice.
I reiterate: Please god, no.
Facebook
MySpace
Old 02-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #10
LRonHubbard
Rotting Corpse

LRonHubbard has no status.

Jerry Cantrell should just sing, he sang on most the songs anyways and sounds quite similar to Layne. If its anyone other than him, they should really call the band a different name.

Film ratings | The DVDs
LRonHubbard is offline   Reply With Quote