BD Write-Off Discussion Thread - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > General Horror Talk

General Horror Talk Does it have something to do with horror? Does it not fit in anywhere else? Post It Here!

Old 11-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #21
Robcbh
Rotting Corpse

Robcbh is convinced we live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity

Thats a great theme willow, love it.
Robcbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #22
Robcbh
Rotting Corpse

Robcbh is convinced we live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity

How about the Occult?

Occult - Anything involving exorcisms, the presence of sort of divine spirit, sacrificing virgins, ect.

Also Willow might wnat to update the front page with all the usable ideas just so they dont get lost in the shuffle of the pages
Robcbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #23
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Willowfang is half Thundercat on his childhood's side

I can do that so it's there for peeps to see, but I've been keeping track of things too.
I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
Willowfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:08 AM   #24
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Erebus Dirge is dressing up his turds like barbie dolls with thedead flayed skins of his enemies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcbh View Post
How about the Occult?

Occult - Anything involving exorcisms, the presence of sort of divine spirit, sacrificing virgins, ect.

Also Willow might wnat to update the front page with all the usable ideas just so they dont get lost in the shuffle of the pages
Occult's a good one as well . You can go in different directions with that.
Also, how about also "Institutionalized"?- This covers everything from Prisons to Sanitariums to Medical Hospitals etc as a setting.

" The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5
Erebus Dirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Erebus Dirge is dressing up his turds like barbie dolls with thedead flayed skins of his enemies

Thought of another one . The Hunter and The Hunted - It could follow a monster hunter tracking his prey, a cop on the trail of a serial killer, or a killer/monster stalking their victim. Maybe the tables are turned or maybe the hunter is just as bad as the killer/monster which he hunts and the lengths that they will go to to get their quarry. Ala I Saw The Devil.

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5

Last edited by Erebus Dirge; 02-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #26
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Thought of another one - The Unquiet. Ghost stories,hauntings of fetches ,doppelgangers, revenants, dybbuks, poltergiests - spirits with unfinished business and with an axe to grind.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #27
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Yet another theme - Things that should not be - stories inspired by H.P. Lovecraft. Leaving behind more traditional monsters, using either existing creatures/gods from the mythos or using ones of your own invention that have that distinctive "feel". Stories should be tales of madness and despair, witnessing things so alien and perverse in their existence that it threatens sanity. Capturing the essence and spirit of the stories of H.P. Lovecraft. No rules against making a more humorous attempt at satirising the sub-genre.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #28
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Those are good, I'll give them some thought on how to sum them up and update the genre list today or soon. Spring Write off discussion is coming up pretty quick as well. Just 3 weeks away and we start voting on which two themes to use.
I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #29
prettyscary
Wererabbit

prettyscary is too jittery for more coffee, so shes only having one more cup.

Time goes so quickly, I can't believe it's nearly here!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #30
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Thoughts leading up to the actual discussion thread start now.

At the moment, we have like 11 genre ideas total and the poll options only allow 10 I believe but I would like to pare it down more than even that. Here's what we got so far:

Below the Surface - Albeit ground or water. It's easy enough to look around or watch the skies, but how much more hidden and unprepared can we be against what we don't even know is there. Movies such as Jaws, Tremors, Blood Beach, Them!, The Mole People, Journey to the Center of the Earth. Or even hollow Earth settings. Just what all lurks below?

Creature Feature - some beast like monster, movies like Boogens, Tremors, Jaws, King Kong, Godzilla.

Historical - something between about 2000 BC to 1899 AD

Holiday - Horrific events due to some holiday, either foreign or domestic. Arbor Day, Boxing Day, Memorial Day...

Hunter and The Hunted - A game of cat and mouse, who's after who and who's even the good guy? Cop and seriel killer, Helsing and Dracula, Ripley and an Alien, Dutch and a Predator.

Over the Top - ridiculous events and massive amounts of blood, guts, and gore. Such movies as Brain Dead/Dead Alive, Terror Vision, Troma Flims, Street Trash, etc... Maybe even The Thing is we embellish a bit.

Slasher - Serial Killers, supernatual like Freddy or Jason, or more human.

Spaceship/Space Station - Something out in space, albeit it human or alien

Supernatural Menace - Freddy or Jason again, or Ghosts, goblins, dragons, vampires, werewolves.

The Unquiet - Ghost stories, haunted houses, hauntings of fetches, doppelgangers, revenants, dybbuks, poltergiests - spirits with unfinished business and with an axe to grind or other things that go bump in the night.

Things that should not be - stories inspired by H.P. Lovecraft. Leaving behind more traditional monsters, using either existing creatures/gods from the mythos or using ones of your own invention that have that distinctive "feel". Stories should be tales of madness and despair, witnessing things so alien and perverse in their existence that it threatens sanity. Capturing the essence and spirit of the stories of H.P. Lovecraft. No rules against making a more humorous attempt at satirizing the sub-genre.

I've left out Zombie Apocalypse & Atomic Horror since we used those last year. We may very well use them again, but unless I/we see a lot of disagreement about it, I'd like not put put any theme up two years in a row.

I left out Noir since that's more of a writing style than a genre story wise. One could also say the same about Things that should not be, but we'll see what talking about these things brings out.

I also expect that we'll leave Historical, Holiday, and Over The Top out of the running since these are easily used in any genre as is. But again, we'll see. There's also some crossovers in the ideas up there, but someone could easily have an idea in one theme that wouldn't crossover with another theme.

Anyway, this is just a jumping off point to get a clear idea how to start off the poll in the upcoming discussion thread on March 5th.

Tags
horror write off