Tool Working On New Album - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Music Discussion

Music Discussion Wow that new Britney Track Rules! Talk about that (and other music stuff) here.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #21
joe6panther6
Fresh Kill

joe6panther6 is Around... Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Crowley View Post
Well if you are focusing on MJK alone, you got that for the most part. Between APC and Puscifer he has a pretty decent size catalog. But it also depends on what you like about Tool. I'm as big a fan as Opiate and Undertow and Aenima as the next guy but the transition to Lateralus and 10KD was amazing to me. From Mer De Noms to 13th Step was equally as amazing and I have to tell you that Puscifer's Conditions of My Parole is the album of the year.

But I'm not sure what it is you find most appealing about Tool. If it's the old school heavy and angry at everything type thing you're looking for I don't think you will find very much of it. Judging on MJK's lyrics in his other work and what he did on 10KD he seems to be diving into a more spiritual place after the death of his mom. I know there will be a mix of sarcasm on some social issue he feels the need to speak out on but his body of work since 10KD has been much different.

That's where you got me. I do prefer their later works compared to their older albums. Lateralus is brilliant. Aenima is genius. 10,000 days is great. Live, this band is nearly flawless. I have yet to see them perform.

youtube

DeviantART
joe6panther6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #22
Anton Crowley
Rotting Corpse

Anton Crowley is losing his crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe6panther6 View Post
That's where you got me. I do prefer their later works compared to their older albums. Lateralus is brilliant. Aenima is genius. 10,000 days is great. Live, this band is nearly flawless. I have yet to see them perform.
That's unfortunate you've never gotten to see them. They really do put on an amazing show. I had one not so great experience, but that was at the PNC Center in NJ and honestly every band that plays there sounds off depending on where you sit. The acoustics of that place is not made for plugged in guitars unless you're sitting real close. I saw Jane's Addiction and NIN there and even they sounded off, and none of those bands are ones I expect to ever be off.

Anyway, back on point.... I don't really prefer one thing over another. What I love about Tool is evolution, and evolution into something equally as amazing as what they did prior. I don't need them to chug out anymore Undertows. I have one. If I want to listen to angry/drug induced expression of pain and suffering I'll pop it on. I want to hear what MJK is really thinking right now, what point in his life he's truly at. Not trying to manufacture some teen angst and get stuck in a place he clearly is not in. He's a successful artist, a businessman, and he's got a family. I expect his music to reflect his current personality. Not the one he had 20 years ago.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #23
CMQ
Inactive Account

CMQ is http://cmq.dvdaf.com/

Bout time. They are behind in their 5 years between albums consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain eater View Post
I really like Tool but there last album wasn't the greatest. I've loved everything else they have came out with though.
Their last album was a drummers album. It took me a few listens to get it. But when you look at it from that stand point, it's truly amazing. Not my favorite but I think it's miles ahead of Lateralus.
CMQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
WodenHorde
The Living Dead

WodenHorde is weeping for the future.

Quote:
You are both insane. 10KD is just as much a masterpiece as the 4 before it. The band is evolving, and MJK is not the same guy he was when they released Undertow. I would not expect any kind of backtracking. They have evolved every album and his view on life and whatever is much, much different. he's still going to be a sarcastic bastard about things, but I doubt you're going to hear too much anger or hostility towards anything. I think he's gotten over it and moved on.
10,000 Days had quite a bit of backtracking actually. All it did really was recycle most of the same stuff found on the two albums preceding it. If a number of the tracks happened to be left overs from the Lateralus recordings it wouldn't surprise me.

Infini-Tropolis
WodenHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #25
Anton Crowley
Rotting Corpse

Can you tell me what was recycled? As far as Lateralus left-overs I can't see that the albums sound nothing alike.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #26
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Can you tell me what was recycled? As far as Lateralus left-overs I can't see that the albums sound nothing alike.
They sound pretty similar. They've pretty much had the same sound since Aenima. Lateralus was an evolution of what Aenima was, but 10,000 Days sounded like a B-sides of Lateralus.

Not that 10,000 Days is bad by any means, but after Lateralus, which was about as prefect as an album can get, expectations were through the roof, and I think most Tool fans would agree that 10,000 Days fell short of meeting them.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #27
Anton Crowley
Rotting Corpse

I definitely agree that Lateralus was Tool's best album (however their two best songs, Pushit and 3rd Eye are on Aenima). And I can see 10KD sounding a bit like it considering it was the previous album it's not like they just completely changed in 1 album. But nothing about Aenima sounds like 10KD to me.

You guys are losing me. Are you musicians? Maybe that would be why. Maybe if you play an instrument you know the technical part of it or whatever. I'm going strictly as a Tool fan who has no musical ability except appreciating what is awesome.

I don't like 10KD as much as I like Lateralus but I don't consider it leftovers or b-sides. It's just not as good, but still on it's own, awesome. You know what though, I'm a MJK fanboy. The man is a genius to me. He's my John Lennon. Everything he touches turns to gold in my eyes. As long as I'm hearing his voice whatever is behind it is mesmerizing.

No homo.

Last edited by Anton Crowley; 11-01-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Anton Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #28
WodenHorde
The Living Dead

WodenHorde is weeping for the future.

Quote:
I'm not going to run down the whole track list, but I'll bite on two that come to mind.

Vicarious reminds me of Schism in both dynamic and riffage. Both begin and end fairly the same way. They don't sound exactly the same mind you, but the resemblances between the two are pretty obvious.

Listen to Right in Two. Then listen to the live version of Pushit from Salival. You can't tell me they don't sound similar.

Infini-Tropolis
WodenHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #29
Anton Crowley
Rotting Corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by WodenHorde View Post
I'm not going to run down the whole track list, but I'll bite on two that come to mind.

Vicarious reminds me of Schism in both dynamic and riffage. Both begin and end fairly the same way. They don't sound exactly the same mind you, but the resemblances between the two are pretty obvious.

Listen to Right in Two. Then listen to the live version of Pushit from Salival. You can't tell me they don't sound similar.
I'm going to check this out when I get home later. Pushit is my favorite Tool song. And Right In Two is my favorite from 10KD. I guess that would make sense.

[edit]I just noticed you said the version on Salival. That would make sense to say it would sound like later work considering right before the song MJK says they changed it up a bit. And that was recorded well after Aenima if I'm not mistaken.

I'm still going to check it out to see if I can pick it up though.

Last edited by Anton Crowley; 11-01-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Anton Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #30
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
Their always working on "the new album". I LOVE this band, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Tool never rush their releases, but they don't have to. They're not in the game to put out chart busting albums every year.

It'll happen when it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black coffee View Post
Can't say that I'm excited. Last album was a snoozefest with a couple of good tracks.
No way, man.

10,000 Days is awesome. It's not as punchy as previous efforts but I love it.
Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote