Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #21
Heathen
BANNED

Heathen is advising that if you kiss a corpse, you had better be willing to go all the way.

I'd tolerate a reboot, but this latest installment looks to be a string tedious action scenes with scant attention given to anything resembling horror.
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #22
Vlad The Impaler
BANNED

Vlad The Impaler is gone.

I went to see this today. I just wish they would reboot the franchise without that Anderson hack and give us a real Resident Evil film that is a faithful representation of the video games.

Here’s my overview:

Although I went to see it in 2D, (I was fucked if I was going to fork out to see this in 3D) it was still visually impressive. It’s a nice piece of eye candy. The opening sequence is well executed all depicted in backwards slow-mo picking up straight from where ‘Afterlife’ left off. The pace hurtles along with action set-piece after action set-piece. These are no great shakes though and offer nothing different from what we’ve seen umpteen times with constant slow-mo that would make even Zack Snyder cringe. I quite liked the score for this one; it’s used as a cheap musical sting way too often though but I couldn’t help but find it uplifting.

There is a lot of stiff acting except for of course Jovovich. Michelle Rodriguez is okay also but she has little to work with, as the characterization is non-existent all round. Bingbing Li as Ada Wong is dead sexy but terrible. She delivers robotically the already shittastic dialogue. The exact same can be said for Sienna Guillory as Jill Valentine. Thank fuck Shawn Roberts’ role as Wesker is minimal here as he is the absolute worst. The script is just one great big rehash of the original movie but it’s all on a larger scale. The bigger budget allows for some tweaks here and there making it more elaborate.

Overall, this is just another shallow entry in what is really a terrible series.

Last edited by Vlad The Impaler; 09-13-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
Deadly Fiend
It... Won't... Die...

Deadly Fiend has no status.

Guess I'm one of the very few people on here that liked this sequel haha. One of the better entries in the RE movie franchise in my opinion.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas
Suburbia
Castle in the Sky
Death Becomes Her
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Streets
Deadly Fiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #24
TheHorrorGuru
Not Dead Yet

TheHorrorGuru has no status.

My buddy and I made a video review of this film:

Friday Night Fright Flicks: Resident Evil: Retribution

Short Version: This flick was baaad.
TheHorrorGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
The Devil's Lyric
Rotting Corpse

The Devil's Lyric is fucked up on Quaaludes

Just got back from this one. It's important to provide a little context before I review this and make it aware that I like this franchise for what it is. I don't think they're a faithful representation of the games, I don't think they're even great stand-alone movies (except the first movie which I consider to be a solid movie and still the best of the franchise). But they're fun, you can always count on some nice visuals, action sequences and if you're extremely lucky, some nods to the games. Taking all those things into account, this movie is no exception. However, it just so happens to be probably the worst one yet.

The movie opens with an absolutely stunning (yes, I said it) credit sequence which plays out in reverse and features some of the best 3D photography I've seen yet. It's clear Anderson understands the technology, and uses it expertly. It was one of the major appeals of the previous movie, also. Infact, even the scenes that follow featuring
Spoiler Below
an Alice clone in a simulated Raccoon City suburb fending off a wave of the undead
are pretty impressive and feature some of the best acting, scares and thrills of the movie. Then we return to "reality" and back to lackluster mode. It's really a shame and rather frustrating because it's obvious from the aforementioned scenes that Anderson is capable of creating something genuinely worthwhile. Once again, it's his screenplay that fails.

It's the worst script he's written yet. The dialogue (as little as there is) is unbelievably clunky and unnatural and consists almost entirely of cheesy puns and one liners. I can't even begin to recall how many times I cringed at the consistent attempts at humour which fell flat on their face. Even though there's literally zero substance to work with, which is never easy for an actor, 90% of the cast should be downright ashamed of themselves. Sienna Guillory as Jill Valentine was particularly excruciating to watch. Milla Jovovich gets more and more robotic with each movie and with the exception of the suburbia scene, her performance was awful. Whoever it was that played Ada Wong - painfully robotic. Noticing a pattern here? The only mildly credible performances were that of Kevin Durand as Barry Burton and Boris Kodjoe as Luther. Hell, even Becky, the little girl who
Spoiler Below
was created as a pseudo-daughter for suburban Alice
was a better actress than her adult counterparts... and I hate child actors!

The inconsistencies in the plot come thicker than ever in this installment, and it's got to the point where it's almost as if Anderson thinks "they won't remember the last movie", shamelessly insulting the audiences intelligence more than I ever thought he could. I won't even try to list them, because there are countless. As I said before, I like these movies for what they are, and I've always been one to defend them to a point, but this one was just inexcusable and I really think a fan of these movies would struggle with an argument in it's favor. It has some amazing visuals, the action sequences are top notch, but this must be the most devoid of substance the franchise has seen, and like Afterlife provided no real progression in the grander scale of things.

Anderson, you want to make an ending to this franchise people can be satisfied with? Your only hope is a new screenwriter, and a pretty fucking divine one if they're gonna make any sense of the shit you've thrown at us already. Shameful, just shameful!

Last edited by The Devil's Lyric; 10-06-2012 at 10:56 AM.
The Devil's Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #26
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

HorrorMovieFan has no status.

"Resident Evil 5: Retribution"......What the hell? On the cover it says "The Biggest And Best Resident Evil Yet"!! Um....no not really!! This one lacked so much. Little plot development to the franchise theme, pretty cheesy dialogue(when there is some) and one liners, weak screenplay, some bad special effects, and no character development to the new characters. Some of the action was good to watch, but it didnt really forward the story. Loved the fight between "Jill" and "Alice", and I am happy to see Jill back to her own self again. Michelle Rodriguez returning is also an added bonus. The series is very female character driven and I love that about the franchise. "Ada Wong" is also likeable and it is great having the gorgeous Boris Kodjoe(Luthor) back. Pissed me off the character was killed off. Or so we think I guess. Too many weird things happening in the series now that is confusing, and too many scenarios going on at once. The new installments should be giving us more answers and pushing story along, but instead it is stalling and weakening the franchise. On an end note, Milla Jovovich wasn't at her best here and was very robotic and wooden in many scenes.

5/10
Old 02-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #27
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator has no status.

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Man, these movies are logically insulting and this movie in particular didn't make a lot of sense. The bad guy from the last two movies magically becomes a good guy and the red queen magically becomes the bad guy? Whatever. There are fucking epic action scenes and absolutely stellar choreographed fight sequences. Great special effects as well. Jovovich is getting more wooden as the movies go along, its hard to really root for her. I really liked the simple "Escape from...." plot of this movie. They are kind of like the Transformers movies: big, loud and visually stellar. I have a blast with these! This one was no exception.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #28
Deadly Fiend
It... Won't... Die...

I'll always enjoy this series, have enjoyed all the entries. If they make a 6th I hope it'll be the last for this particular storyline though... I could see them rebooting this franchise in the future. Only time will tell.
Suburbia
Castle in the Sky
Death Becomes Her
Streets
Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #29
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator has no status.

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urdeadlyfriend View Post
I'll always enjoy this series, have enjoyed all the entries. If they make a 6th I hope it'll be the last for this particular storyline though... I could see them rebooting this franchise in the future. Only time will tell.
i actually think I read that's what they would be doing... I think...

The ending of this movie was awesome, as was the first 10 minutes... I kind of liked the entire concept of this movie. My favorite scene was the runaway scene in the Hummer. I wish I could have seen it in 3D.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #30
Deadly Fiend
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
i actually think I read that's what they would be doing... I think...

The ending of this movie was awesome, as was the first 10 minutes... I kind of liked the entire concept of this movie. My favorite scene was the runaway scene in the Hummer. I wish I could have seen it in 3D.
I enjoyed the concept as well, actually one of my favorites from this series. The Hummer scene is a lot of fun... when I saw it in 3D it wasn't that impressive though. Then again, I'm not so much a fan of 3D in general. Fuck it.
Suburbia
Castle in the Sky
Death Becomes Her
Streets