Romero, Argento, Fulci, Craven, Hooper, Carpenter, or Gordon? - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Golden Age

Golden Age Horror movies from the 1960's - 1980's.

View Poll Results: Romero, Argento, Fulci, Craven, Hooper, Carpenter, or Gordon?
Romero 10 14.29%
Argento 10 14.29%
Fulci 9 12.86%
Craven 3 4.29%
Hooper 3 4.29%
Carpenter 30 42.86%
Gordon 2 2.86%
Other 3 4.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #21
TheGreatZombieFall
Fresh Kill

TheGreatZombieFall is is, he's a a.... A ZOMBIE!!!

I'm gonna go with Carpenter as my personal favorite.

As for Fulci, he was never the most gifted storyteller, but his imagination and ideas made up for his film's more technical flaws.
TheGreatZombieFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #22
Heathen
BANNED

Heathen is advising that if you kiss a corpse, you had better be willing to go all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcbh View Post
Raimi
If Carpenter hadn't made "Madness," which proved his depth as a writer, I would've chosen Raimi also.
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #23
Klown
Super Moderator

Klown has no status.

I like Raimi, but beyond the Evil Dead films and Drag Me to Hell, he hasn't don't much in the way of horror films. Don't get wrong, the stuff he's done is great, but the other director has more meat on their resumes.

Blu-ray / DVD Collection | Horror Etc. Podcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySleepConform View Post
Thank God for Jeff Goldblum
Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #24
Iggy
Heat Fan Numero Uno!

Iggy has no status.

I'll have to go with Fulci, cause i really dig the man's work. Maybe it's the gorehound in me, but his films satisfy my cinematic bloodlust like no other.

It's also important to know that the man has made some damn fine Giallos as well.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #25
Beyond
Rotting Corpse

Beyond is possessed by all the Devils in Hell

I gotta give my vote for Fulci.
But I love Carpenter and Argento too.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #26
Iggy
Heat Fan Numero Uno!

Iggy has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
I gotta give my vote for Fulci.
But I love Carpenter and Argento too.

Argento would be a close second for me.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #27
BurnetRhoades
Fresh Kill

BurnetRhoades has no status.

Send a message via AIM to BurnetRhoades

Carpenter all the way. Regardless of what he's become. I look at the filmography of each and I have to give it to Carpenter pretty much no matter what criteria I use.

He has the strongest early period. He's way, way into his filmography before the first "misstep". The films aren't a scattershot flip-of-a-coin good or bad. He established a branding early on that actually meant something.

You saw "John Carpenter's" in front of a title, a ballsy move he took almost immediately in his career, and it made you want to see it. This extended to films he might have written or produced but not directed which often weren't as good but often still interesting ("from the mind of John Carpenter").

And I don't believe any one of the other directors, if you disregard all their flubs (some of them (cough), Craven, (cough) this is the bulk of their filmography) and only look at the cream of their crop, have produced a peak film on par with JC's best works. He's been able to achieve artistic, narrative and technical excellence in the same film, and close to it more than once.
BurnetRhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #28
Robcbh
Rotting Corpse

Robcbh is convinced we live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klown View Post
I like Raimi, but beyond the Evil Dead films and Drag Me to Hell, he hasn't don't much in the way of horror films. Don't get wrong, the stuff he's done is great, but the other director has more meat on their resumes.
Id rather have less meat that is delicious, than more meat that is rotten
Robcbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #29
Cause of Death
Rotting Corpse

Cause of Death is volatile gore overload.

Very, very tough decision here, but I think I must go with Romero. The Dead Trilogy is more or less the Holy Grail of horror for me, with Dawn and Day in particular being two of my all time favorite movies. Add to that another personal favorite in Creepshow, and that makes 4 films by him that I personally consider absolute classics. No other director listed can boast that for me.

Fulci would rank second, as Zombi 2 is easily in my top 5 of all time, while the Gates of Hell Trilogy are very high up the list too.

The only movie Hooper ever made that impressed me was TCM, but goddamn, what a fucking movie!

Wes Craven is responsible for my favorite movie of all time (ANOES) so he deserves mention for that alone. I'm also a huge fan of the original Hills Have Eyes, but otherwise his stuff is pretty mediocre.

Gordon's Lovecraft films are all spectacular; actually, I don't think he's ever made a film I actively dislike. Still, his best stuff doesnt rate as highly on my list as the best of Romero or Fulci.

Carpenter is an amazing craftsman and has made countless exceptional flicks. Still, there isnt a single movie of his that I live and die by, for what reason I'm honestly not sure. A master to be sure, but he just doesnt reach out and grab me for whatever reason.

Argento has always been a director I just never much got into. Yes, i've seen all his classics...I just never considered them as "classic" as others do.

Last edited by Cause of Death; 06-28-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Cause of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #30
sethdlh
Send... More... Paramedics

sethdlh is chillin'

Send a message via AIM to sethdlh

I had to vote Argento as he is my favorite director ever which is no secret. Carpenter is a close second. I enjoy films from each of these guys and each of them has at least one I love except Craven. He doesn't have any films I'm really passionate about. Gordon continually made great movies even as his budget shrunk over the years. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done with some of his more recent stuff if he didn't have a SyFy channel budget.

*Updated 3/11 w/ FEMALE TEACHER IN FRONT OF THE STUDENTS disc review

My DVDAF - http://sethflc.dvdaf.com/

Gold Trader +91
sethdlh is offline   Reply With Quote