YellowBrickRoad - Page 2 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
El grifo
Not Dead Yet

El grifo is the enemy within.

Dull, forgettable with a nonsensical silly ending. Kind of a Blair Witch Project meets Lord of the Flies hybrid.
El grifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
Hengst2404
Not Dead Yet

Hengst2404 is relaxed

See, after reading and getting over and ultimately enjoying Stephen King's From a Buick 8, I can enjoy a film like YellowBrickRoad. In fact I am willing to wager that the movie might have been worse had they actually definitively explained what actually happened. I wouldn't mind them revisiting the setting with a sequel, if handled correctly.

I think when you have a small budget it is pretty challenging and I think for what they offered up, it wasn't too bad. So I am curious about the very last image of the movie, in the theater. Any thoughts?

I saw a striking similarity to what happened to a character in Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus.
Hengst2404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
Outpost #31
Super Moderator

Outpost #31 is gunning for Ricky Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunde View Post
I thought it was a piece of shit. Great concept that went absolutely nowhere.
Fine acting, decent cinematography, creepy atmosphere but then it goes weird and utterly pointless.
I don't need to be spoon fed. But not only are the key questions never answered, they aren't even explored. Nothing fits together or makes any kind of sense.
And it's boring. Slow is fine, boring is not. You wait and wait for something to happen after a lot of build up, but there is no payoff. There's no real character development, no forward moving plot, or any sort of follow up to the who, how and why of the entire movie.
What a waste.
I was going to write something up but this hits it right on the nose. I'd actually put it on par with Shrooms as it looked good (cinematography), had decent enough acting, some atmosphere but ended up being pretty much a disappointment overall. I'd give it a 3.5/10.
Outpost #31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
Mayday
Jury. Executioner. Judge.

Mayday is the law.

I don't think it was that bad. I was disappointed that the last 1/3 got muddled and had an unsatisfactory ending, but for the most part, it was much better than the average indie fare coming out these days.

The acting was decent, the atmosphere and basic concept were great, the story just lost its way along the road...much like the characters in the film...hmmmm.

Anyway, I rate it more of a 6/10. At least worth a Netflix watch.

2014 Horror Draft
1. Sunshine (2007)
2. Event Horizon (1997)
3. Pitch Black (2000)
Mayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
Outpost #31
Super Moderator

Outpost #31 is gunning for Ricky Spanish

It wasn't the worst for direct to video low budget but it dragged very badly for the last 40 minutes. Started out with a ton of promise but just lost it's way. I really wanted to like it but just fell flat. I'll take this any day of the week over the majority of direct to video films but that doesn't mean it's a great watch by any means. Doubt I'll revisit this one down the road.
Outpost #31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #16
Colonel Cinematic
The Living Dead

Colonel Cinematic is the real Slim Shady.

That's quite a shame to hear, as it looked so interesting.
Colonel Cinematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #17
Colonel Cinematic
The Living Dead

Wow, I watched this a couple of days ago. One of the more "what the fuck" movies I've seen of recent.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #18
NSZ
Fresh Kill

NSZ is taking the Impala for a joy ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBrown View Post
Wow, I watched this a couple of days ago. One of the more "what the fuck" movies I've seen of recent.
It's a shame, because it had that potential. Whether it was rewrites or just straight up ignorance, the meaning of this movie is lost to everyone but the director and screenwriter. I have no problem with open ended "What do you think happened?" films, but this was just shoddy with absolutely no hints to help you along.

Like I said, a shame because up until it stopped dead halfway through I loved it.
NSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #19
Colonel Cinematic
The Living Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSZ View Post
It's a shame, because it had that potential. Whether it was rewrites or just straight up ignorance, the meaning of this movie is lost to everyone but the director and screenwriter. I have no problem with open ended "What do you think happened?" films, but this was just shoddy with absolutely no hints to help you along.

Like I said, a shame because up until it stopped dead halfway through I loved it.
But, I wouldn't put it against the film because I really like it the more I think about it. I did expect to hate it, though. I just think the whole story was incredibly interesting to me.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #20
Freddy's girl
Fresh Kill

Freddy's girl is dreaming

I did enjoy this film...until the final 2 minutes. They lost me on the ending. Up until then it was unique, suspenseful, and you had no idea what was going on! However, the ending made no sense at all...yeah yeah metaphor...whatever! But what the hell happened?
Freddy's girl is offline   Reply With Quote