Sleepaway Camp (1983) - Page 2 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Old 01-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
mR_BuNgLe
Time Cop

mR_BuNgLe has no status.

Yeah, they're all garbage, but that doesn't mean I would say not to buy 'em, depends on how much you enjoy the bottom of the barrell cheesy 80's slashers. I found the second and third installments to be a alot more entertaining than the first, because they played as parodies to the slasher genre, and are so bad it's hilarious. And like travis83 said, they didn't take themselves seriously at all.
mR_BuNgLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #12
kiddcapone
BANNED

kiddcapone has no status.

It's so bad it boggles the mind.

I won the boxset here on BD, laughed at the pure stupidity of the 1st film, and shut off the 2nd after 15 minutes. Never watching the 3rd and never will.

Sleepaway Camp is honestly one of the worst movies ever made. I've seen more entertaining homevideos. The acting and dialogue is sooooooooo bad (even for a horror film), I have a hard time believing it wasn't intended to be a comedy from the start. Absolutely nothing in the film could be taken seriously. Even the "twist" ending seemed like it was tacked on with no previous thought. They figured 'we are ripping off Friday the 13th, we need something at the end like Jason popping out of the lake...'. Then suddenly she starts grinning like a mad animal at the end while growing a few feet due to a terrible split screen f/x shot. Truly pathetic.

Even the death scenes are completely farfetched and poorly done. It can't even boast decent kills.
kiddcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #13
snodawg666
The Living Dead

snodawg666 has no status.

Send a message via AIM to snodawg666 Send a message via MSN to snodawg666

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddcapone
It's so bad it boggles the mind.

I won the boxset here on BD, laughed at the pure stupidity of the 1st film, and shut off the 2nd after 15 minutes. Never watching the 3rd and never will.

Sleepaway Camp is honestly one of the worst movies ever made. I've seen more entertaining homevideos. The acting and dialogue is sooooooooo bad (even for a horror film), I have a hard time believing it wasn't intended to be a comedy from the start. Absolutely nothing in the film could be taken seriously. Even the "twist" ending seemed like it was tacked on with no previous thought. They figured 'we are ripping off Friday the 13th, we need something at the end like Jason popping out of the lake...'. Just suddenly starts grinning like a mad animal at the end. Truly pathetic.

Even the death scenes are completely farfetched and poorly done. It can't even boast decent kills.
pretty much agree with all of this. But I did get some good laughs out of the 3rd one. It was just too ridiculous. I mean they all are, but this one took the cake.
snodawg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #14
zaglewiz
I Eat Brains!

zaglewiz is pretty,pretty....pretty good.

Send a message via AIM to zaglewiz Send a message via Yahoo to zaglewiz

The first one is great to watch with someone who's never seen or heard of how it ends or knows anything about it. I grew up watching them so their like a part of my horror movie history I can't say I hate them but I can't say their great. Their just well shit basically just fun to watch shit. Espically Angela's cousin I mean to me this guy made the movie with his over the top acting mad and cussing at the people picking on Angela.
zaglewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:12 PM   #15
Zitadelle
Not Dead Yet

Zitadelle has no status.

Quote:
Sorry if there was a thread like this already, i searched but couldnt find anything...

But my question is are the Sleepaway Camp movies any good?

And is it worth it to buy that box set?
Hey man I asked this same question a few weeks ago, and I can tell you the answer is yes. If you go to best buy you can pick up the set for 23.99 (my friend works there so I got it for 20 bucks after tax). It is definatly worth it. I watched the first movie last night, the entire thing is pretty funny as far as cheese goes, but the ending... these guys are crazy. If you watch that thing alone in the dark the twist will get you. I kenw what was coming, and still found it to be very unsettling. Then i booted up the 2nd one, which I'm about halfway through. It's a self parody, nothing special. I get the biggest kick out of the f/x which were considered the best when this thing was made.
Zitadelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:31 PM   #16
Tig Bitties
Not Dead Yet

Tig Bitties has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zitadelle
Hey man I asked this same question a few weeks ago, and I can tell you the answer is yes. If you go to best buy you can pick up the set for 23.99 (my friend works there so I got it for 20 bucks after tax). It is definatly worth it. I watched the first movie last night, the entire thing is pretty funny as far as cheese goes, but the ending... these guys are crazy. If you watch that thing alone in the dark the twist will get you. I kenw what was coming, and still found it to be very unsettling. Then i booted up the 2nd one, which I'm about halfway through. It's a self parody, nothing special. I get the biggest kick out of the f/x which were considered the best when this thing was made.
I was beginning to think I was the only one here to like these movies. I grew up with these so I guess that's why their special to me. Yes they are cheesy as hell, but there's nothing like a GOOD cheesy 80's horror flick. The first is classic, the second one is fun and the bitchy chick is soooo hot. The third is so, so.

Also Bruce Spingsteen's kid sister, Pamela plays the part of Angela in 2 & 3.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #17
killbabykill31
Not Dead Yet

killbabykill31 has no status.

Default Sleepaway Camp...and the test of time

Say what you will...These films have a hell of a following. They were all three a huge success on straight to video format and have warented a best selling DVD set...They have also warrented another sequel which finished filming quite some time ago and which is slated for release this year. Most of the origional cast from the first film are back in this one too...

Yes, these films are 80's cheese, but they are a load of fun and I highly suggest watching them...Besides...wasnt stv cheese what the 1980's were all about?
killbabykill31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #18
caroleledoux
Fresh Kill

caroleledoux has no status.

yeah, i pretty much love the first one. LOVE it. it is a terrible movie and so incredibly campy that it seems deliberate, but maybe it is...and frankly, i think it was pretty unique for its time. some definite similarities to friday the 13th, but just because they are both about campers being murdered. the ending is my favorite thing to show unsuspecting friends. even if you're already wondering about angela's childhood throughout, nothing prepares you for the weird, random last 20 seconds. it's so great seeing that bitchy camp counselor that looks like she's really about 35 years old finally die. angela's aunt is a freaking nutjob, too. super fun all around!
caroleledoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #19
Ctrice
Fresh Kill

Ctrice has no status.

I really enjoyed the first one a lot and thought it was unique. I never knew so many ppl hated it on here. And why do people always call this movie a Friday The 13th ripoff? Just because its take place at camp it's automatically a ripoff?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:08 PM   #20
ColdCase
Fresh Kill

ColdCase has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrice
. And why do people always call this movie a Friday The 13th ripoff? Just because its take place at camp it's automatically a ripoff?
Youre telling me Friday the 13th didnt inspire this piece of shit? Everybody wanted to cash in on slashers in the early 80s. Friday the 13th was a huge success and theres no doubt that due to that, it inspired it. Everybody wanted a piece of the pie.

Dont kid yourself.

Last edited by ColdCase; 01-09-2006 at 09:11 PM.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote