Sleepaway Camp (1983) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Old 10-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
Wanksta757
Fresh Kill

Wanksta757 has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Wanksta757
Default Sleepaway Camp Questions

I know there's another thread regarding this (these) films, but that thread is meant for what order you liked them and/or if you liked the films.

I just have two quick questions that I hope someone can answer quickly... (*Contains Spoilers*):

1. I didn't understand "Angela's" flashback of her with her sibling when she was younger and they were on the bed after having witnessed observing her father and his lover... can someone explain the bit of the signifigence of "Angela" and her sibling and their finger out?

2. If "Angela" was really a boy, then does that mean "Angela" was gay?

Yeah, I feel like an idiot for asking (especially because I'm taking the movie too seriously when it doesn't even take itself seriously) but... yeah...

Please be kind, remember to REWIND!
Wanksta757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
N2NOther
BANNED

N2NOther has no status.

Default Re: Sleepaway Camp Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanksta757
I know there's another thread regarding this (these) films, but that thread is meant for what order you liked them and/or if you liked the films.

I just have two quick questions that I hope someone can answer quickly... (*Contains Spoilers*):

1. I didn't understand "Angela's" flashback of her with her sibling when she was younger and they were on the bed after having witnessed observing her father and his lover... can someone explain the bit of the signifigence of "Angela" and her sibling and their finger out?

2. If "Angela" was really a boy, then does that mean "Angela" was gay?
I would techinically say Angela is gay...Yes...
N2NOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:19 AM   #3
BloodBath&Beyond
The Living Dead

BloodBath&Beyond has no status.

Well, it's tricky... although it's subtle, in the sequels she's clearly interested in women.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
AleisterArcane
Rotting Corpse

AleisterArcane is The Never Dead

I dont think she/he is gay....maybe just confused on its sexuality. The fact they show Angela getting ready to have sex with the boy at the end of the original, was just their way of revealing the truth. I mean, how else would you reveal something like that? In the sequels, it showed more affection towards girls than boys. Or maybe Angela is just experimenting....maybe its bisexual. I dont know, thats for the writers to figure out.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #5
caroleledoux
Fresh Kill

caroleledoux has no status.

the whole finger-pointing flashback scene was designed to confuse the viewer. although it becomes clear at the end that angela was the boy child, the siblings look very similar and were obviously very close. this way, it creates a sense of doubt as to which one survived the boat accident, or more accurately, how the accident survivor perceived him/herself.

let's not forget the fact that after his father's death, 'Angela' was raised as a girl by her psycho-ass aunt. that would also cause some definite sexuality issues.
caroleledoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
Wanksta757
Fresh Kill

Wanksta757 has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Wanksta757

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBath&Beyond
Well, it's tricky... although it's subtle, in the sequels she's clearly interested in women.
I haven't seen the sequels. I just bought the first one at K*Mart (it was cheap and I heard a lot of interesting hype about the surprise (indeed it was) ending) and watched it over the weekend with a couple of friends.

We totally didn't understand that little bit of the flashback. But, we understood the rest of the movie. I just wasnt sure where "Angela" stood as far as "Angela's" sexuality was concerned. I wasn't sure whether it was a cover-up or if "Angela" really was into Paul ("Angela" seemed to be in the sorta beginning at Canteen.)

So yeah... there's my ramble... thanks for the input. It was an interesting movie, one of the better done cult classics that didn't try to be a classic (not to mention how I found it humorous that the director/writer made it using the insurance money from his mother's death. )

Please be kind, remember to REWIND!
Wanksta757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:33 AM   #7
SlasherIndex
Not Dead Yet

SlasherIndex has no status.

I didnt think the flashbacks were difficult to understand at all... As i interpreted it, Angela's (or Peter's) father was gay, and this helped justifying why he would end up being a girl, besides the fact that the Aunt "always wanted a little girl" ... the whole finger pointing sequence on the bed has to be Angela and Ricky or it wouldnt make sense; if it wasnt, then what purpose would it serve showing Peter and his sister pointing fingers at eachother?...if it were Angela and Ricky, then Ricky would be pointing a finger at her because shes really a boy and he knows it... although we never know and will never know if Ricky knew that his cousin was really a guy...but when you grow up with someone, you would know their true sex...he couldve been in denial for all we know...
Old 01-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
GarrisonCarter2
Not Dead Yet

GarrisonCarter2 has no status.

Question Sleepaway camp

Sorry if there was a thread like this already, i searched but couldnt find anything...

But my question is are the Sleepaway Camp movies any good?

And is it worth it to buy that box set?
GarrisonCarter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
cKy1711
Rotting Corpse

cKy1711 has no status.

Send a message via MSN to cKy1711

I thought there was a thread not to long ago on this but the first one is ok. The rest are garbage.

cKy1711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
travis83
The Living Dead

travis83 is the thread killer

They're all really bad. The only saving grace is that the sequels don't take themselves seriously. The first is a shitty movie with a shitty twist. Nothing special.