Favorite H.P. Lovecraft film - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > General Horror Talk

General Horror Talk Does it have something to do with horror? Does it not fit in anywhere else? Post It Here!

View Poll Results: Choose which is your favorite H.P. Lovecraft movie?
Die, Monster Die 1 1.72%
The Curse 0 0%
The Haunted Palace 4 6.90%
From Beyond 6 10.34%
Shuttered Room 1 1.72%
Dreams In The Witch House 2 3.45%
The Curse Of The Crimson Altar 0 0%
Re-Animator/Bride Of Re-Animator/Beyond Re-Animator 35 60.34%
The Dunwich Horror 0 0%
The Unnamable/The Unnamable II 2 3.45%
Dagon 7 12.07%
In The Mouth Of Madness 13 22.41%
Necronomicon: Book Of The Dead 1 1.72%
Lurking Fear 0 0%
The Resurrected 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #21
prettyscary
Wererabbit

prettyscary is flooping the pig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoggoth View Post
Why is The Call of Cthulhu not on the list? It is the truest Lovecraft adaptation to date, and when the HPLHS releases Whisperer it is sure to take it's place.
I forgot about that one and I loved it. I'm happy to hear they're doing more.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #22
Hitchhiker speed bump
Fresh Kill

Hitchhiker speed bump has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Hitchhiker speed bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klownz View Post
I'm going with Re-animator and In the Mouth of Madness. Still would love to see From Beyond.
Netflix that shit son!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:17 AM   #23
JackORipU2shreds
BANNED

JackORipU2shreds has no status.

I'll go with In The Mouth of Madness here its just brillant in just about every way most especially Sam Neills performance you dont get too often in horror an utterly convincing portrayal than that...no granted The Re-Animator and The Bride of The Re-Animator are superior comedy horrors that dont quite make it as top choice here....From Beyond I believe to be the most fantastically underrated out of all the selections here and its a true gem.

JMO of course
JackORipU2shreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:24 AM   #24
m1bayluv41510
Fresh Kill

m1bayluv41510 is snappin like a gator, never waitin on a waiter cherry is my flavor when it comes to now n laters..

Talking feel like an asshole for this one..

i haven't seen ANY of these motherfuckers yet. what the fuck am i missing, cause i'll download every title on here if they're any good (i already downloaded but haven't yet watched in the mouth of madness). I've always heard of Re-Animator..but i can't fake the funk, i haven't seen that one either. Are there any not on this list i need to check out, cause ive been looking to broaden my horror horizons and im gettin tired of the same ole, same ole ya know..
m1bayluv41510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:11 AM   #25
Ferox13
Fresh Kill

Ferox13 is Shoggoth Wrestling.

The best adaptation so is the (already mentioned) The Call of Cthulhu.

I love Dagon too and its kinda close to the source material (Shadows over Innsmouth). I have a softspot for the CUrse (though its dated as hell)

Theres actually 2 versions of The DUnwich Horror now (weirdly both with Dean Stockwell). Theres also 2 films called 'Cthulhu' - The Dan Gildark film which despite of its name is another version of Shadow over Innsmouth and an Ozzie film from 2000 which is a version of The Thing on the Doorstep with a bit of Dunwich Horror thrown in..

Some others not mentioned (of varying qualities):

Bleeders - an enjoyable but trashing version of The Lurking Fear with Ruger Hauer.

Colour from the Dark - Decent version of COlour Out of Space (the Creepshow segment "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" is obviously influenced by the story too).

Pickman's Muse - Very Low budget version of The Haunter in the Dark. Speaking of microbudget Lovecraftian work - LURKER FILMS do a huge amount of them. Very little budget but very close to the original stories. I particulary like they version of From Beyond...

Fans of Lovecraft might like or more likely hate the recent horror comedy The Last Lovevcraft (despite some shitty costumes, it wasn't bad).

Theres a ton of films that aren't anything to do with Lovecraft definally are influenced by them..

Quatermass and the Pit/The Maze/Dark Waters/Maléfique..

And who can forget Scooby Doo :

Ferox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #26
Dthecryptkeeper
Rotting Corpse

Dthecryptkeeper has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
The best adaptation so is the (already mentioned) The Call of Cthulhu.

I love Dagon too and its kinda close to the source material (Shadows over Innsmouth). I have a softspot for the CUrse (though its dated as hell)

Theres actually 2 versions of The DUnwich Horror now (weirdly both with Dean Stockwell). Theres also 2 films called 'Cthulhu' - The Dan Gildark film which despite of its name is another version of Shadow over Innsmouth and an Ozzie film from 2000 which is a version of The Thing on the Doorstep with a bit of Dunwich Horror thrown in..

Some others not mentioned (of varying qualities):

Bleeders - an enjoyable but trashing version of The Lurking Fear with Ruger Hauer.

Colour from the Dark - Decent version of COlour Out of Space (the Creepshow segment "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" is obviously influenced by the story too).

Pickman's Muse - Very Low budget version of The Haunter in the Dark. Speaking of microbudget Lovecraftian work - LURKER FILMS do a huge amount of them. Very little budget but very close to the original stories. I particulary like they version of From Beyond...

Fans of Lovecraft might like or more likely hate the recent horror comedy The Last Lovevcraft (despite some shitty costumes, it wasn't bad).

Theres a ton of films that aren't anything to do with Lovecraft definally are influenced by them..

Quatermass and the Pit/The Maze/Dark Waters/Maléfique..

And who can forget Scooby Doo :

Thanx for the info and luv the Scooby reference, LOL!
Dthecryptkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #27
Ferox13
Fresh Kill

Ferox13 is Shoggoth Wrestling.

Yeah the Scooby do episode was great and had an author called Hatecraft in it.

The Night Gallery also did a few related items in particular a version of Cool Air and Pickman's model. There was also an episode called 'Miss Lovecraft Sent Me' and 'Professor Peabody’s Last Lecture' (with lots of namedropping).
Ferox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #28
War Machine
Fresh Kill

War Machine is stalking the flock

I have several in my queue I haven't seen yet.

Thus far my favorite is MoH "Dreams of the Witch House"

Least favorite: "From Beyond". It had little to do with the Lovecraft story. The creatures were cheesy.

My biggest problem is many of the movies seem to have little (if anything) to do with the source material. I understand maybe modernizing it so that it isn't based in the 1920s, but you don't have to change EVERYTHING.
War Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #29
Cause of Death
Rotting Corpse

Cause of Death is volatile gore overload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klownz View Post
Still would love to see From Beyond.
Definitely give it a look, just make sure it's the unrated extended cut that got put out a few years back.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #30
CountOrlok
BANNED

CountOrlok is not giving a flying fuck

I just rewatched Dagon after something like 8 years and I'd definitely put it as my second favourite Lovecraft movie, behind In the Mouth of Madness.
CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote