John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet


Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Golden Age

Golden Age Horror movies from the 1960's - 1980's.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #21
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs
 
Oxley's Avatar
Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Bates Motel, Australia
Posts: 22,063
Send a message via MSN to Oxley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
Anyone know of any flicks with creature FX resembling the ones in The Thing?
Creature effects wise I'd say Pumpkinhead matches it. Winston must have put his all in that, same goes with the Alien Queen. But The Thing seems to have it's own "style" that no other film I've seen and can think of has.
__________________
"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain





"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler


Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #22
indecent actions
I Eat Brains!
 
indecent actions's Avatar
indecent actions is getting the poison out.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 7,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxley View Post
Creature effects wise I'd say Pumpkinhead matches it. Winston must have put his all in that, same goes with the Alien Queen. But The Thing seems to have it's own "style" that no other film I've seen and can think of has.
Winston worked on The Thing also.
__________________


Is he going to lose both bones?
indecent actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #23
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs
 
Oxley's Avatar
Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Bates Motel, Australia
Posts: 22,063
Send a message via MSN to Oxley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indecent actions View Post
Winston worked on The Thing also.
I don't think I was aware of that, doesn't surprise me in the least anyway.
__________________
"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain





"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler


Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #24
The Geek
Schlock King
 
The Geek's Avatar
The Geek is dancing with himself!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tromaville
Posts: 12,278
Send a message via Skype™ to The Geek
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxley View Post
I don't think I was aware of that, doesn't surprise me in the least anyway.
Bottin was exhausted working on the film and Winston came in to help. He did most of the work in the dog cage sequence.
__________________

The Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #25
indecent actions
I Eat Brains!
 
indecent actions's Avatar
indecent actions is getting the poison out.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 7,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxley View Post
I don't think I was aware of that, doesn't surprise me in the least anyway.
He did some of the scene's with the dogs in the cage (I'm pretty sure)because Bottin was suffering from sleep deprivation.

Both of them rocked that shit.
__________________


Is he going to lose both bones?
indecent actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #26
indecent actions
I Eat Brains!
 
indecent actions's Avatar
indecent actions is getting the poison out.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 7,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGeek View Post
Bottin was exhausted working on the film and Winston came in to help. He did most of the work in the dog cage sequence.
Beat me to it.
__________________


Is he going to lose both bones?
indecent actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #27
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs
 
Oxley's Avatar
Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Bates Motel, Australia
Posts: 22,063
Send a message via MSN to Oxley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGeek View Post
Bottin was exhausted working on the film and Winston came in to help. He did most of the work in the dog cage sequence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecent actions View Post
He did some of the scene's with the dogs in the cage (I'm pretty sure)because Bottin was suffering from sleep deprivation.
I've never looked at dogs the same way since that scene.
That, is also one of the best in the film. I wasn't aware they worked that scene together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indecent actions View Post
Both of them rocked that shit.

I'll fucking drink to that!!!!!
__________________
"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain





"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler


Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #28
StabYou
Not Dead Yet
 
StabYou's Avatar
StabYou has no status.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofhorror View Post
it's Braindead AKA Dead Alive.
can't hate.
StabYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #29
Klown
Super Moderator
 
Klown's Avatar
Klown has no status.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Titletown
Posts: 12,625
Default

To me, The Thing is about as perfect of a horror film as you can find. Great atmosphere, compelling story, great ensemble cast, low-key score, and some of the best effects (if not the best) ever put on screen. There's nothing I would change about it. It holds up incredibly well, and has aged fairly well for a nearly 30 year old film.
__________________

Blu-ray / DVD Collection | Horror Etc. Podcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySleepConform View Post
Thank God for Jeff Goldblum
Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #30
Klownz
BANNED
 
Klownz's Avatar
Klownz is shouting, "Mr. FEENY!!!"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 16,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klown View Post
To me, The Thing is about as perfect of a horror film as you can find. Great atmosphere, compelling story, great ensemble cast, low-key score, and some of the best effects (if not the best) ever put on screen. There's nothing I would change about it. It holds up incredibly well, and has aged fairly well for a nearly 30 year old film.
Damn...it really has been almost a 30 yr. old film. And for the movie to still be fresh to this day is truly amazing.



Agree with everything you said.


The 80s really did have some of the greatest horror films.
Klownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
the thing, thing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-Present BLOODY-DISGUSTING LLC