ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Don't Be A Nerd

Don't Be A Nerd Computers, Video Games, Technology... that sort of stuff

Old 03-05-2006, 08:03 AM   #21
IV_Tear116
The Living Dead

IV_Tear116 is Hawaiian Donkey Punch

Send a message via MSN to IV_Tear116

Man, all this help is wonderful bro, thank you. I printed up a 30 page tutorial, just so I can kinda have an idea of what I am getting myself into. Plus we have a few computer stores about an hour away that would be good, so I think maybe I'll start on this in a few months or so. I have about 3-4 catalogs from www.tigerdirect.com and so I have a good idea on some prices, but I am not sure what to go off of, because (we'll go off of processors) The AMD Athlon 64 3000+ socket 939 64-bit retail box CPU is $139, but the AMD Athlon 64 FX57 Socket 939 .... Is $1,049. I am expect that those are the extremes for the Athlon in prices, and I'd probably want to get one in the middle. But ***Noob question*** I could only buy one that would be compatable with my motherboard, correct???

Thanks Syko, I am really hoping this gets other people to start posting... I mean, hell... Look at what it did to me
Old 04-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #22
slasherman
Rotting Corpse

slasherman is Ruler of the Universe

My motherboard:

http://www.aberdeeninc.com/abcatg/mb7506.htm

My system info:

my graphic card:

...whats the maximum processor I can have on this motherboard ?
..I need a bigger one cause when I install Adobe premiere 7.0 pro ...it says that it dont support the processor...its strange cause I can play the pretty new game "Fear" without problems....I know that my motherboard is old but it has to be pretty good cause it was produced in 2000....

...so whats the biggest processor I can have on this mothercard ?
Old 04-14-2006, 02:44 AM   #23
Sykopaf
I Eat Brains!

Sykopaf has no status.

On the board specs this is what it says about processor support:

AMD-K7 Athlon, Duron Processors
Athlon XP (version 1.3 motherboard req.)

So you want to be getting an Athalon XP processor (providing you have version 1.3 of the motherboard).

I think the biggest Athalon XP processor made was the 3200+. Unfortunately they're no longer made and all the new processors that you'll easily find in shops won't go in your motherboard.

Saying that the XP range isn't that old so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one on the net.

MySpace
Sykopaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:23 AM   #24
slasherman
Rotting Corpse

slasherman is Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykopaf
On the board specs this is what it says about processor support:

AMD-K7 Athlon, Duron Processors
Athlon XP (version 1.3 motherboard req.)

So you want to be getting an Athalon XP processor (providing you have version 1.3 of the motherboard).
where do I see what version motherboard is...(1.3)? ...do I have to flash bios and install new drives ? .....thats difficult ...
Old 04-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #25
GoreGIrl
The Living Dead

GoreGIrl has no status.

Send a message via ICQ to GoreGIrl Send a message via AIM to GoreGIrl Send a message via MSN to GoreGIrl Send a message via Yahoo to GoreGIrl

So i dual booted windows xp with ubuntu linux. im loving linux so far, its my first time.

However i have two issues that id like to solve.

First is, my mouse sometimes freaks out. it will just whip around the screen and click on shit. mostly the trash program. I have no idea why, and it really pisses me off. does the button get stuck? is there a moust driver issue? is it the physical mouse ?

second, i cant get dvds to play, ive downloaded a few programs. ive turned on my nvidia graphic support. Ive opened the restricted resources. i get an error each time saying soemthing about nav packet cant be found or something.

anyone have any idea?
GoreGIrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:28 AM   #26
Sykopaf
I Eat Brains!

Sykopaf has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreGIrl
So i dual booted windows xp with ubuntu linux. im loving linux so far, its my first time.

However i have two issues that id like to solve.

First is, my mouse sometimes freaks out. it will just whip around the screen and click on shit. mostly the trash program. I have no idea why, and it really pisses me off. does the button get stuck? is there a moust driver issue? is it the physical mouse ?

second, i cant get dvds to play, ive downloaded a few programs. ive turned on my nvidia graphic support. Ive opened the restricted resources. i get an error each time saying soemthing about nav packet cant be found or something.

anyone have any idea?
I'm no expert on Linux but I have run RedHat and SuSe for a while. The problem being that the applications are constantly in beta version as they're written by the Linux community so you can always find sometimes fairly big bugs without looking too far.

If the mouse works OK in XP but not Linux then it's a Linux problem rather than a hardware problem in which case all you can do is report it and hope someone will write a fix.

MySpace
Old 04-19-2006, 01:27 AM   #27
GoreGIrl
The Living Dead

GoreGIrl has no status.

Send a message via ICQ to GoreGIrl Send a message via AIM to GoreGIrl Send a message via MSN to GoreGIrl Send a message via Yahoo to GoreGIrl

Thank you syko! I was thinking id have to do that. cause it does work fine in xp. blast!

i think because its a microsoft mouse, linux gets all pissed at it , and tries to get it off the screen lol
GoreGIrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #28
Nightbreed
Fresh Kill

Nightbreed has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Nightbreed

i have a prob thats pissing me off can someone help ,, my pc keeps restarting its self every now and again,, cheers if you can help
Old 04-19-2006, 11:34 AM   #29
Sykopaf
I Eat Brains!

Sykopaf has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbreed
i have a prob thats pissing me off can someone help ,, my pc keeps restarting its self every now and again,, cheers if you can help
It could be a few things.

1) A virus. Install a virus checker and make sure it's up to date.
2) A hardware fault. If it's restarting during games it's probably your graphics card thats fucked. If it's crashing at random times it'll likely be some dodgy memory or maybe your motherboard. Also check to make sure the fan is working on your processor. Your PC may shut itself down when the processor gets too hot.
3) It could be something as simple as Automatic Updates. If you have them switched on they sometimes restart the PC once they've installed themselves.

MySpace
Old 04-19-2006, 11:48 AM   #30
Nightbreed
Fresh Kill

Nightbreed has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Nightbreed

not virus mate i have upto date norton
not know about memory i have a one year old sony vaio with split hard disc drive c 27.9 gb only used 10 gb drive . d drive 83.8 used only 1 gb plus an external drive E that 233 gb used 64.
updates on auto
so iam going with over heat as iam on this 24/7
i do run adware and pc tools reg mec could they be my prob?
also dude how do i check for overheating is there a way ? ( i can hear fan lol)thx