The Rite - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #21
dopeboy206
Not Dead Yet

dopeboy206 has no status.

The only thing I like about this movie is Anthony Hopkins subperb acting other than that its not so great. 2/5.
dopeboy206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #22
whorrorific
Fresh Kill

whorrorific is drunk

flick really dragged, pacing problems out the cornhole. extremely predictable in just about every sense too...found myself squirming around a lot to stay awake.
whorrorific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #23
C. Carmelon
BANNED

C. Carmelon is admitting he shot the sheriff, but he did not shoot the deputy.

I thought this one was pretty scary. I was comparing the possession scenes of this & the Last Exorcism & found this one's creepier. One issue is the lack of violence, if you can skip that, then the film is ok. All in all a decent film & worth a viewing.

7/10

Last edited by C. Carmelon; 05-23-2011 at 01:27 PM.
C. Carmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #24
Renacimiento
The Fallen Angel

Renacimiento has no status.

Location: Somewhere at the bottom of the ocean, near Argentina.

The only thing really good is the performance of Anthony Hopkins, everything else is very predictable from beginning to end, all the time you know what will going to happen. There is nothing new in this film, if you've seen several movies of possession, this will be a mediocre film. In conclusion is a correct film and nothing else.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #25
jacup
Not Dead Yet

jacup has no status.

I saw this movie around the time it came out and was disappointed. It seems like these types of movies continue to fail and fail, and further a cultural trend of fearing ghosts and demons, which fail to make an appearance on screen in physical form. It's depressing.

I will give this movie some credit however. It had a few moments where you knew something bad was going to happen, and you covered your eyes in anticipation. Sadly, nothing ever did happen. But the film's ability to give viewers such an emotion was alright by me.

A lot of people also going on about Anthony Hopkins. I've personally never been a fan of him, and I've never found his past movies to be remotely scary. So if you're like me and have zero interest in the man, this movie is most likely not for you, since the buzz this has received seems to be due to Hopkin's participation.

I've give it a 4/10.
jacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #26
C. Carmelon
BANNED

C. Carmelon is admitting he shot the sheriff, but he did not shoot the deputy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacup View Post
I saw this movie around the time it came out and was disappointed. It seems like these types of movies continue to fail and fail, and further a cultural trend of fearing ghosts and demons, which fail to make an appearance on screen in physical form. It's depressing.

I will give this movie some credit however. It had a few moments where you knew something bad was going to happen, and you covered your eyes in anticipation. Sadly, nothing ever did happen. But the film's ability to give viewers such an emotion was alright by me.

A lot of people also going on about Anthony Hopkins. I've personally never been a fan of him, and I've never found his past movies to be remotely scary. So if you're like me and have zero interest in the man, this movie is most likely not for you, since the buzz this has received seems to be due to Hopkin's participation.

I've give it a 4/10.
Well most times of possession, in the very rare times of one, you don't actually see the demon, so the producers are good not to show any physical ghost of the sort. As you say the film delivers on emotion, and has you anticipating when something bad is gonna happen, that alone gives the film more than a 4/10 to me.
C. Carmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
SGGreenman
Fresh Kill

SGGreenman is what to watch next...

Movie was sooooo dragged out and boring, but as usual Hopkins was terrific.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #28
BurnetRhoades
Fresh Kill

BurnetRhoades has no status.

Send a message via AIM to BurnetRhoades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renacimiento View Post
The only thing really good is the performance of Anthony Hopkins, everything else is very predictable from beginning to end, all the time you know what will going to happen. There is nothing new in this film, if you've seen several movies of possession, this will be a mediocre film. In conclusion is a correct film and nothing else.
This is a rare, recent performance where he's not a total over-acting and cheesy ham, which is ironic considering the subject matter. I made myself watch in spite of his presence. And, yeah, all the possession stuff was cliche and predictable. The whole priest questioning faith thing was cliche and obvious.

Some of the still pictures shown in the exorcist class were actually more disturbing than anything you see take place in the film. Hearing about a man who's jaw rips out is way worse than seeing yet another foul mouthed contortionist, yadda-yadda.

The "case study" videos throughout The Fourth Kind were much better attempts to depict an intense, metaphysical phenomenon. Much better.
BurnetRhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #29
XrabbitX
Not Dead Yet

XrabbitX is skeered! :O

I think this movie was fascinating in it's depiction of how demonic possession is conceptualized and how exorcisms are performed by the Catholic Church.

However if I was to judge it as a horror movie I'd say it was just mediocre.
XrabbitX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #30
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

HorrorMovieFan has no status.

"The Rite"....Pretty damn good thriller. Some spooky atmosphere, chilling music score, solid direction, and a strong screenplay. Anthony Hopkins as "Father Lucas" and the very suave and handsome Colin O'Donoghue as "Michael" are both top notch and delivered strong performances, especially Hopkins with his possession scenes. The exorcisms with the pregnant woman(Rosaria) were both chilling and devastating. Not to mention shocking moments with the coughing up of nails and seeing the demonic mule. A creepy and thrilling film!!

7/10