Official WWE/Wrestling Thread V2 - Page 124 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > The Locker Room

The Locker Room Like sports? Well I don't, but I made you a forum anyways. Yeah, I'm THAT nice.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #1231
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla King of Monsters View Post
WWE was presented with an opportunity to do something special with the nWo angle that hadn't been seen since, honestly, 1996 when Vince was (storyline wise) holding a grudge against Flair's 50/50 ownership of the company and decided to inject the WWE with 'poison' back in early 2002.

We got the crazed Vince Mcmahon rants. The WWF tribute video, the nWo promo's, the nWo version of the WWF tribute video, and all of this lead up to their debut at NWO No Way Out 2002. Followed by the Hogan/Rock confrontation at the following RAW where Hogan drove a diesel right into the Rock's ambulance, and WWE was off to a great start in establishing the nWo as a threat that was about as close as to 1996 nWo as they could replicate.

Though this didn't last long. Nothing really especially memorable happened after that, and following the Hogan/Rock match at WM, Hogan got shipped off to smackdown as a face, and that's where things began to get watered down pretty fucking quick to the point where Shawn Michaels became a member to keep the stable afloat, and even had Ric Flair (of all people) aligned with the nWo. As if that made any sense.

But hey, no surprise there. If the WCW invasion couldn't be executed in a satisfying manner back in 2001, why would the nWo 'poison' angle fair any better in 2002?
Here is what I'll say about the NWO. It was only a huge success, due to the Monday Night Wars. The only reason people gave such a fuck about them, was to see who the next WWF superstar would be, to jump ship. The "invasion" angle only worked, because there was some real truth to the angle. Two legit pro-wrestling companies were literally at war with each other, and WCW actually had people believing these guys were still employed by the WWE, and were invading WCW.

Without that legit competition, the NWO loses most, if not all of it's appeal. It was a stable based on the the real beef between WWF and WCW. The war is over, and the NWO is irrelevent.

Quote:
We never got a Four Horsemen reformation in WWF/WWE did we? We got Evolution instead. Yay.
I'm sure they were just as exciting as The Four Horsemen were, post 1987.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #1232
Godzilla
aka Boobzilla

Godzilla is deep in the Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Here is what I'll say about the NWO. It was only a huge success, due to the Monday Night Wars. The only reason people gave such a fuck about them, was to see who the next WWF superstar would be, to jump ship. The "invasion" angle only worked, because there was some real truth to the angle. Two legit pro-wrestling companies were literally at war with each other, and WCW actually had people believing these guys were still employed by the WWE, and were invading WCW.

Without that legit competition, the NWO loses most, if not all of it's appeal. It was a stable based on the the real beef between WWF and WCW. The war is over, and the NWO is irrelevent.
You know, I agree about the "invasion" angle working because there was a legitimate ratings war going on between the two companies, and that real life heat drew fans in along with lets-see-who-jumps scenario as well.

However, there was a certain point in 96/97 where the 'war' became less and less of a selling point, and it eventually got to where the nWo angle itself was the key to Nitro drawing the ratings. Thanks in large part to how the angle was handled with paid announcements, and what not that atleast presented the nWo as a true outlaw organization. The Hogan heel turn should definately be mentioned as a catalyst for drawing viewers in as well.

All of this provided Bischoff and company to literally COAST thru 1997 despite the then-WWF having Austin, Shawn, Bret (for the majority of the year), and the Undertaker being prominently featured on numerous PPV's. The WWF became literally a mere afterthought for a good long while there due to the nWo angle. However, in 1998, Vince focused in on and pushed the new 'attitude' era, and the ratings war (which drew more viewership than 1996 or 1997 even had) REALLY began.

Quote:
Yeah, I stopped watching for a number of years following 2004. That's how exciting I found the knockoff stable, along with the-then overall product.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #1233
Nightmare
The Living Dead

Nightmare is groovy.

Super Shredder

EDIT: Please tell me I'm not the only one who got that reference...

Last edited by Nightmare; 09-05-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #1234
aaronmb
Rotting Corpse

aaronmb has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post

After reading Bischoff's book, he lost a lot of credibility to me. He stole the nwo idea from japan, then takes two wwf main eventers and falsely advertises a wwf invasion(originally, it was going to be bret hart instead of hogan). When he couldnt get Hart, Hogan suggested the heel turn, since he was so stale.
aaronmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #1235
Nightmare
The Living Dead

Nightmare is groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmb View Post
After reading Bischoff's book, he lost a lot of credibility to me. He stole the nwo idea from japan, then takes two wwf main eventers and falsely advertises a wwf invasion(originally, it was going to be bret hart instead of hogan). When he couldnt get Hart, Hogan suggested the heel turn, since he was so stale.
He's still brilliant. He gave the competitions results out before their show even started. Advertising Hall and Nash as WWF invaders was also brilliant. Also, even if the idea was originally taken from Japan, nothing like that had been done in the states yet so it was fresh and exciting to fans here at the time.

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #1236
Godzilla
aka Boobzilla

Godzilla is deep in the Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
He's still brilliant. He gave the competitions results out before their show even started. Advertising Hall and Nash as WWF invaders was also brilliant. Also, even if the idea was originally taken from Japan, nothing like that had been done in the states yet so it was fresh and exciting to fans here at the time.
Yeah, it definately struck a nerve, and infinitely more exciting than WWF's product at the time. Which was anything but a shoot style that Bischoff was obviously going to run with.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #1237
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
He's also the main reason why RAW is two hours and live. He really innovated wrestling as far as television goes, and was lucky enough to have a billionaire's pockets to dig into, who had his own network to get it done.

The NWO was a great idea that went to his head. It became a cancer that eventually led to the implosion of WCW.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #1238
MetalX
Not Dead Yet

MetalX is Dead Among The Living

I gave up on WWE when it went PG, I never liked it when it was tame. Give me the late 1990's but updated.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #1239
dadadrunkmonkey
Fresh Kill

dadadrunkmonkey is cleaning house. 45 friends? I don't talk to half of you

I haven't been able to get into wrestling sice the days of sgt. slaughter and the ultimate warrior, (yes young'uns I'm an old-timer) but I caught the commercial for Hulk Hogan's micro somethingorother. MIDGET WRESTLING IS BACK!!!!! Starting on the 14th those tiny fuckers will fight again. I can get into that!
dadadrunkmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #1240
Se7en
Send... More... Paramedics

Se7en is Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalX View Post
I gave up on WWE when it went PG, I never liked it when it was tame. Give me the late 1990's but updated.

WWE not being PG shouldn't effect the Product.