Rob Zombie's The Lords Of Salem - Page 57 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #561
Frey
BANNED

Frey is here to fulfill Ra's Al Ghul's destiny!

Send a message via Yahoo to Frey

In 30 years when Im old as fuck if Im still alive I would look back and proobably consider films like Saw and May as classics. Both are pretty original and I feel they will withstand the test of time.
Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #562
Outpost #31
Super Moderator

Outpost #31 is gunning for Ricky Spanish

Things I think I'll look back on in classics in 30 years that have been released in the last 10 years or so:

--Session 9
--Dawn of the Dead remake (maybe not a classic but one hell of a fun horror/action ride)
--Let the Right One In (Travis nailed it on this one)
--The Mist (many here will groan I bet hehe)
--High Tension
--A Tale of Two Sisters

Probably more I'm forgetting about
Outpost #31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #563
Timvp
Rotting Corpse

Timvp is going to the carnival and it'll be a bad day..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost #31 View Post
Things I think I'll look back on in classics in 30 years that have been released in the last 10 years or so:

--Session 9
--Dawn of the Dead remake (maybe not a classic but one hell of a fun horror/action ride)
--High Tension
--A Tale of Two Sisters

Am I the only person who feels Session 9 is often underrated or looked over? I love it and watch it once or twice a year. It even did the feat of creeping out my family which is pretty difficult to do.
Timvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #564
black coffee
It... Won't... Die...

black coffee has no status.

Send a message via MSN to black coffee

Session 9 is amazing. One of my favorite horror movies. Can't praise it enough!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #565
Yggdrasil
Rotting Corpse

Yggdrasil is tearing at the fabric of reality.

Session 9 is genuinely creepy.
Yggdrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #566
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:

--Session 9
--High Tension
--A Tale of Two Sisters

This is where the definition of "classic", gets a little murky. LTROI is a great movie, but outside of this forum, maybe 9 people saw it, and half of them complained about it being slow, and boring. Same with ATOTS.

When I say "classic", it doesn't necessarily mean that quality is the be all end all of the definition. It's a part of the equation, but so is mainstream appeal, and overall popularity. In 30 years, I believe more people will remember TDR, SAW, and Hostel way more than LTROI, despite any advantage in the quality department.

Outside of SAW, Hostel, and DOTD, all I see are cult classics, and personal favorites. I'd even probably move TDR to cult classic status as well.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #567
Outpost #31
Super Moderator

Outpost #31 is gunning for Ricky Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
This is where the definition of "classic", gets a little murky. LTROI is a great movie, but outside of this forum, maybe 9 people saw it, and half of them complained about it being slow, and boring. Same with ATOTS.

When I say "classic", it doesn't necessarily mean that quality is the be all end all of the definition. It's a part of the equation, but so is mainstream appeal, and overall popularity. In 30 years, I believe more people will remember TDR, SAW, and Hostel way more than LTROI, despite any advantage in the quality department.

Outside of SAW, Hostel, and DOTD, all I see are cult classics, and personal favorites. I'd even probably move TDR to cult classic status as well.
Seems hard to predict as films sometimes pick up fans every decade after release (John Carpenter's The Thing comes to mind.....bombed at the box office and don't think many people started to check it out till the 90's and now everybody seem to love it). LTROI probably will be overlooked for many years to go by mainstream fans but hopefully someday it will get more and more attention. Think it was hurt a bit as the remake came out way fast for it (can't recall many films that a remake was made so quickly).

Come on we all know Redneck Zombies, Terror Toons, Psychos in Love, Rabid Grannies, Demon Slayer, and Hatchet are the real future classics!!!!!!!
Outpost #31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #568
Freddy_Lives
Zinc Saucier

Freddy_Lives is Eating at Bob's Burgers

Quote:
Come on we all know Redneck Zombies, Terror Toons, Psychos in Love, Rabid Grannies, Demon Slayer, and Hatchet are the real future classics!!!!!!!
Rabid Grannies deserves cult status

As you mentioned Carpenters Thing you also have to throw in The Fog it was a very minor hit but it's still in horror rotation on AMC and still being talked about after all these years even though it has a ton of flaws and a bit flat.

I loved it!

As far as classics are concerned it really is classic movie channels and word of mouth that make them classic and TDR will probably have a place in 30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Lives View Post
Nah I don't mind gay people hell my favorite Author is gay ----> Clive Barker

I've hired Blacks/Mexicans and one Iranian guy.
Freddy_Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #569
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Seems hard to predict as films sometimes pick up fans every decade after release (John Carpenter's The Thing comes to mind.....bombed at the box office and don't think many people started to check it out till the 90's and now everybody seem to love it). LTROI probably will be overlooked for many years to go by mainstream fans but hopefully someday it will get more and more attention. Think it was hurt a bit as the remake came out way fast for it (can't recall many films that a remake was made so quickly).
It's happened. Do you forget the japanese remake era? The Eye, The Ring, that movie where the kid meows like a cat, etc. Too many to count really.

I just don't think LTROI has too much universal appeal. It's too subtle in it's approach, for it to really make a dent into the mainstream. The remake failing at the BO only cemented it's limited appeal in my mind. Whereas with The Thing, there is way more to instantly love about the film. Mainly the special effects, that still leave people's jaws on the floor, nearly three decades after it's inital release. Then you've got the star power of Kurt Russell, on top of one of the best stories ever told in the genre. It's a smart story, but not too smart, that the average moviegoer can't pick up on. It's that stuff that keeps The Thing going.

Right off the bat, LTROI is handicapped by being a foreign film. That alone, will hamper any sort of breakthrough. Then you have the english language remake. I wouldn't be surprised if Let Me In, ends up being the "hidden gem" to check out years from now, with most North Americans not even realizing it was a remake.

Quote:
Terror Toons is already a classic.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #570
Shoggoth
The Living Dead

Shoggoth is in a land of confusion

Just watched the trailer for this. The visuals were good, but you can't really tell anything about the movie from the trailer so giving an opinion is useless.

As far as classics, movies like Saw and Hostel will be in that category simply because they managed to break the boundaries of simply being a horror movie and were recognized by pop culture in general. The real cream of the crop, Martyrs, Let the Right One in, etc., will rise to the top over time just like JC's The Thing. They still won't ever be household names like Freddy and Jason, but they will be widely enough recognized.