Judge Dredd (2012) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Vlad The Impaler
BANNED

Vlad The Impaler is gone.

Default Judge Dredd (2012)

From Empire Online:

Karl Urban Confirmed For Judge Dredd
And he will NOT remove his helmet

Karl Urban has been confirmed for the leading role in Judge Dredd by producers Andrew Macdonald and Allon Reich of the new film. Urban had been rumoured for the role already, but in a Movie-Con Q&A this evening the pair confirmed that he has been cast for the film, shooting in South Africa soon.

The main thing about Dredd is that its a fantastic comic that was completely messed up 20 years ago," said Macdonald. "Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Megacity, so weve got to get the tone right. Hes not going to take off his helmet. His bike is going to feel real. Hes going to hit people and its going to feel real."

"Theres been a change in comic-book movies; they were treated unseriously and now theyre treated seriously. Weve cast a guy called Karl Urban to play Dredd. Well be shooting in Johannesburg, its being directed by Pete Travis, were shooting with the people who did District 9 and if we get it right, Alex has a couple of ideas for other stories as well. Its not based on any one comic, and John Wagner is involved in every decision."

Source: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=28653

Judge Dredd was one of my absolute favorite comics growing up, so this is great news!

It will hopefully make the Stallone atrocity a long forgotten memory.

Discuss.
Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Brainfreeeeeze
It... Won't... Die...

Brainfreeeeeze is gettin greased up by lunch lady Doris

Im down. I had no clue of the comic as a kid and actually used to love the Stallone movie but from what Ive read I can see why fans of the comic hated it. Even though I think the "gritty comic book movie" thing is being a bit over done I could see it having a good use here.

Brainfreeeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Willowfang is half Thundercat on his childhood's side

Really hope the villians are Death, Mortis, Fire, and Fear.

Urban seems like a good choice, but would love to see a clip for greater confidence.
I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
Willowfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
CJ_01976
It... Won't... Die...

CJ_01976 is gone

Send a message via MSN to CJ_01976

I am glad it is finally happening. I have heard about it over the years but nothing was confirmed for the longest time. I have always liked Urban and I am glad he is playing Dredd this time out and I am relieved that the filmmakers want to get it right this time. Hopefully it will turn out right this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
It will hopefully make the Stallone atrocity a long forgotten memory.
It would not be hard to do better than that one was. Even the director disowned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainfreeeeeze View Post
I had no clue of the comic as a kid
Me too, but I did read "Predator vs. Judge Dredd" years ago and I thought that one was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowfang View Post
Urban seems like a good choice, but would love to see a clip for greater confidence.
It should be interesting to see him in costume.
CJ_01976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
Vlad The Impaler
BANNED

Vlad The Impaler is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainfreeeeeze View Post
Im down. I had no clue of the comic as a kid and actually used to love the Stallone movie but from what Ive read I can see why fans of the comic hated it.
The Stallone film missed the point of the comics entirely, which has a lot of humor and irony.

This is what Stallone himself said about the movie -

From Wiki:

“I loved that property when I read it, because it took a genre that I love, what you could term the 'action morality film' and made it a bit more sophisticated. It had political overtones. It showed how if we don't curb the way we run our judicial system, the police may end up running our lives. It dealt with archaic governments; it dealt with cloning and all kinds of things that could happen in the future. It was also bigger than any film I've done in its physical stature and the way it was designed. All the people were dwarfed by the system and the architecture; it shows how insignificant human beings could be in the future. There's a lot of action in the movie and some great acting, too. It just wasn't balls to the wall.

But I do look back on Judge Dredd as a real missed opportunity. It seemed that lots of fans had a problem with Dredd removing his helmet, because he never does in the comic books. But for me it is more about wasting such great potential there was in that idea; just think of all the opportunities there were to do interesting stuff with the Cursed Earth scenes. It didn't live up to what it could have been. It probably should have been much more comic, really humorous, and fun. What I learned out of that experience was that we shouldn't have tried to make it Hamlet; it's more Hamlet and Eggs...”

Quote:
Really hope the villians are Death, Mortis, Fire, and Fear.
As much as I love these characters, I would prefer it if they left them for later films, after they have established the Mega-City One universe. Then they can expand and introduce these cool as fuck villains; horror fans would love them!

I would like to see Mean Machine Angel done right this time, instead of being just a bit part player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_01976 View Post
I am relieved that the filmmakers want to get it right this time. Hopefully it will turn out right this time.
Its being produced by Danny Boyle's British production company, and Judge Dredd is a very British property - so that's a good thing. Alex Garland has written the screenplay, and Judge Dredd creator John Wagner has given it the thumbs up, and I think he is acting as a consultant on the film. I also enjoyed the director's previous film - 'Vantage Point'; not great, but good solid entertainment.

So far so good.

Quote:
Me too, but I did read "Predator vs. Judge Dredd" years ago and I thought that one was good.
Another great crossover is 'Judgment on Gotham'.

Last edited by Vlad The Impaler; 08-13-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Mr. Monkey
I Eat Brains!

Mr. Monkey is enjoying Hump Day

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Monkey

"I AM THE LAW!!!!!"
Old 08-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Willowfang is half Thundercat on his childhood's side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
TheAs much as I love these characters, I would prefer it if they left them for later films, after they have established the Mega-City One universe. Then they can expand and introduce these cool as fuck villains; horror fans would love them!

I would like to see Mean Machine Angel done right this time, instead of being just a bit part player.
While they would normally be better saved for a second movie for a variety of reasons, I'd rather say fuck it, if you don't just put them in the first, the odds are way too great that we'll never see them at all.

Tho I'd love to see a Judge Dreed TV series, with a budget and design team like say Farscape had, the tools to do it are out there.

I liked the Stallone movie too. It failed on many levels, but was still a nice taste. It was more like a fan made movie that could only do so much. A nice effort, but nothing on the level of a real treatment.
I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
Willowfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Grim Reaper Roper
The Living Dead

Grim Reaper Roper is drinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Monkey View Post
"I AM THE LAW!!!!!"
one of the great quotes in cinema history.

Looking forward to this new one.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
CJ_01976
It... Won't... Die...

CJ_01976 is gone

Send a message via MSN to CJ_01976

Quote:
I'd love to see a Judge Dreed TV series, with a budget and design team like say Farscape had, the tools to do it are out there.
CJ_01976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
Mr. Monkey
I Eat Brains!

Mr. Monkey is enjoying Hump Day

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Monkey

Quote:

Tho I'd love to see a Judge Dreed TV series, with a budget and design team like say Farscape had, the tools to do it are out there.
Yeah but like Farscape they will threaten to cancel after two seasons give them one more, cancel them then give them a half season to wrap up the story line as best as possible. Poor Farscape...I miss you!