Ultimate Jason Figure Appreciation Thread - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Collectibles, figures, and memorabilia.

Collectibles, figures, and memorabilia. posters, figures, whatever.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:52 AM   #21
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

thomasjarvis is still mourning the loss of humorist Kurt Vonnegut

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
Ha! I used to have those spitballs when I was younger. Great Thread BTW, really in depth.
Shit, you too? Hah hah! I remember being not so secretly a Friday film enthusiast, ever since I first talked a drug store chashiere into letting me rent 'Final Chapter' back in late '84 when I was all of eight years old (I used my mom's rental card and told the check-out girl that she gave me permission to rent it).

I did have to kind of keep my young horror fetish tightly under wraps though at times,
back then. Considering that all that violent R-rated nastiness was deemed by virtually all surrounding authority figures at the time to be "inappropriate material", lol... so, in 1988, when was 12 years old and by that time a hardcore Fango reader, and I happened to stumble across that carded Spitball hanging off a discount rack at the local Toys 'R' Us...well, suffice it to say, I nearly flipped my lidd! I demanded that my folks get me that thing IMMEDIATELY!!!

Now, my folks were not exactly the type to take kindly to the demands of their overly self-determined, prepubescent child...however, something about my bubbling over enthusiasm for a rubber dollar bin throw-away must have charmed 'em enough to win 'em over to my side...for that day, I got my damned Spitball!!!

Even at that young age, though, I knew there was something off about the very existence of that Spitball. I knew, even then, that Paramount were not prone to marketing merchandise towards kids that just so happened to feature the likeness of a fictional mass-murderer (unlike New Line Cinema, who at that time apparantly had no such qualms about selling sticker albums and plush dolls featuring the likeness of a child killer and insinuated molester that habitually threatened to murder youngsters while they slept all cozy in their beds at night)...

Which made me want the thing all that more! It was like discovering a glitch in the matrix! I still believe that the Spitball was more the exception than the rule when it came to Paramount's marketing division. Someone wasn't watching the ball, maybe because Frank Mancuso (Sr. not Jr.) had by that time moved on to other things and wasn't there to lend his guiding hand. That thing slipped through the cracks, and I was there to catch it!

I also had the plush Freddy doll (still do, after all these years), and believe me I was well aware of the irony. And I relished it! I scoffed in the face of authority and their persistant lack of faith in my own intelligence and powers of self-moderation!

Quote:
Great Thread BTW, really in depth.
Thanks man! Glad you seem to be enjoying it. I'm just trying to live up to the self-imposed hyperbole of my own ill-chosen thread title!
"A truly successful cinematic accomplishment inevitably results in the absolute compulsion of the viewer to discuss the film in question with one or more others for the duration of at least a good fifteen minutes, subsequent to initial screening."

Last edited by thomasjarvis; 09-19-2010 at 05:15 AM.
thomasjarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:18 AM   #22
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

And continue on, we shall!

Sideshow, mainly a producer of high-end charactor model kits throughout the early 90's, ventured into the arena of movie based 1/6th scale figures during the latter half of that decade. Encouraged by the success of their line of classic Universal Monsters in 8-inch painted plastic (offering movie accurate sculpts over McFarlane's more highly stylised output), they began producing 12-inch versions of these same monsters with removeable fabric outfits, classic G.I Joe style. At the time, Sideshow shipped these out in mass-market fashion to such mainstream toy outlets as Toys 'R' Us and Kay-Bee Toys. They generally retailed between $20.95 and $30.99.

Sideshow soon discovered that the figures were selling better with adult collectors at specialty outlets such as comic book and hobby stores, than they were at Toys 'R' Us, etc.. So, they decided to stop offering their higher end figures to mainstream toys stores, limiting availability to their website and the aforementioned niche shops. This also meant that they lowered their production numbers to set "limited editions", and put more money into the sculpting and development phases of production, likewise raisng the retail prices of the figures to accomodate this change of direction in marketing and output.

They also took the leap from such mildy family-friendly lines as the Universal Monsters, the central cast of 'Young Frankenstein' and cult favorite 'Monty Python and the Quest For the Holy Grail' to Something Completely Different---Modern Horror Charactors. Not sure which of this particular line of figures (which aincluded Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers and Leatherface) was the first to see the light of day...But the release of their Part 3 Jason was the first time that I can recall being aware of Sideshow's bold new direction.

Collectors predictably bulked at the retail price jack from $20-$25 to $40-$45, and they were intially displeased with the lack of articulation in certain key areas, but for the majority of the horror collecting community, these concerns were completey trumped and overshadowed by the novelty of a realistic depiction of the character, based off one of his earliest films from the Paramount era, no less!

Concerning the articulation issue, such was found to be diminished in the neck of the figure, with the shoulder and elbow joints fully poseable as well as a joint located at the upper arms about an inch below the elbows, but no articulation at the actual wrist level whatsoever (similar to their earlier movie Frankenstein figs). This was so that the integrity of the sculpt for the long gorilla-postured arms and casually dangling hands, as embodied by Richard Brooker's make-up and mannerisms in the film, could be maintained.

The neck area was likewise left relatively unarticulated so that the sculpt could more accurately reflect the slightly hunched shoulders leading into the overly muscular, fat, and bulbously mutated neck & back (a feature of the character first introduced in and abandoned directly after, 'Part 3'...interestingly the creative team behind the remake tried not-so-successfully to revive this particular physical quirck).

Though Sideshow would never again limit articulation to such a degree with their modern horror line, these aspects of the notorious Part 3 sculpt would subsequently be explored to a more indepth degree with their ginormous 22-inch Premium Format figs. Interestingly enough, in hindsite many collectors now wish that Sideshow had chosen to continue limiting articulation in favor of the sculpt for their subsequent modern horror figures.

Those on the fence about the subject I would recommend comparing the look and feel of Sideshow's later Part IV: The Final Chapter fig with their original Part 3...the superiority of the former to the latter is more than a little obvious. The sculpt of the Part IV would have benfited greatly had the mandate not come down in favor of articulation over sculptural integrity...

Of course, the notion of "integrity of the sculpt" over poseability wasn't fully abandoned by the company...not at all. Instead, it was relagated to the even less articulated but gorgeously sculpted Premium Format Figures, wherein the height was jacked up a whopping 9 inches (to reach a stunning 22") while the price jumped from a reasonable $45 or under to an ourageously intimidating $250!!!

But while I won't argue against the company line that these Premium Format releases are practically museum worthy works of art (many of them are indeed extremely impressive), I also won't budge from my stance that they were on to something unique and pleasing with the Part 3, which represented a virtual middle ground between what amounts to unarticulated statues for the display and showcasing of the sculpting talents involved in their creative teams versus fully poseable 1/6th scale action figures manufactured for and marketed for children in 1960s and '70's

The Sideshow Part 3 was like a pop-culture museum piece that has been de-glorifed, a stunning yet still poseable statuette!
"A truly successful cinematic accomplishment inevitably results in the absolute compulsion of the viewer to discuss the film in question with one or more others for the duration of at least a good fifteen minutes, subsequent to initial screening."

Last edited by thomasjarvis; 09-19-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #23
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

Here's a very well informed early review of Sideshow's Part 3 12-incher, from way back in 2003, hot on the heels of the figure's initial release:

http://www.asitecalledfred.com/toybox/61.html

September 30, 2003:
"Friday the 13th Part 3 - 12-inch Jason Voorhees Figure"

Reviewed by Michael Crawford • September 30, 2003

"While PSYCHO was arguable the first true slasher film, the genre really hit its stride in the '70s. This was the decade of such classics as BLACK CHRISTMAS, HALLOWEEN, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and, of course, FRIDAY THE 13TH (well, 1980, anyway). With the new JASON VS. FREDDY movie this last summer, and the upcoming Halloween holiday, the number of Jason toys is going to be at an all-time high.

Sideshow Toy has been producing some fantastic sixth-scale figures for a number of years now, including horror figures from classic Universal films, television shows such as OUTER LIMITS, and now a series called "modern horror classics", including Leatherface, Michael Myers, Freddy and, of course, Jason. The first figure has hit the streets -- Jason from FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3.

Jason has had a variety of looks, and one of the most distinct was in the third film, perhaps appropriately done in 3-D. The film isn't one of the better ones, but Jason's face is seen, and its disfigured appearance made for a unique action figure. It's hard to fathom that Jason has had ten, count them TEN!, films. Throw in FvsJ, and there's eleven. That's an impressive run for any character, let alone one that just stands around in a hockey mask and looks threatening.

Packaging - ***

Sideshow normally knocks it out of the park with their packaging, but this time around it's only a triple. The graphics are great, particularly the front, but the text is light, particularly on the inside fifth panel. The included stand is also sealed to the insert, so it's less collector-friendly than usual. But it will display well, and if you cut off the cover it would make a great backdrop for a loose display.

Sculpting - ****

The head sculpt on Jason is exceptional, right up there with some of the other better figures by Sideshow. They've captured both the horrific nature of the character, and the sadness that was present in this particular film. Not everyone is going to be thrilled by the choice of movie, since it's certainly not a fan favorite, but you can't fault Sideshow for getting it down perfectly.

The hands are sculpted to hold the weapons, with the right being the main hand and the left intended to look menacing or support the axe. The machete hands a bit loose in the right hand, but it's not too bad. It's a happy medium between being too loose for the machete and too tight for the axe.

Jason is tall - easily 13" rather than the usual 12". This is accomplished through the use of the longer torso, the thick boots, and longer shins. We seen these body parts on other taller figures from Sideshow, and I expect we'll see them doing more and more of this mixing and matching to get a greater variety in their line.

Paint - ***1/2
The paint ops are predominately on the face, although there's also a fair share of blood spattered on the clothing and hands. The work on the skin tone is clean and consistent, and has just that right tinge of dead but animated color that makes a Saturday night date go so well. His eye detail is very well done, and there's certainly no slop anywhere on his face or head.

The hands are really the only other major area of paint work, and that is made up mostly of blood splatters. These are well done, with a decent degree of realism. Blood is also liberally apparent on the machete, axe, and across the front of his outfit.

Articulation - **1/2
Normally, this is a category that Sideshow gets an automatic pass. But with Jason, they've done some swapping and switching that produced a better looking figure, but at the cost of articulation.

The first casualty was the neck joint. The head is sculpted all the way down over the shoulders, so there is no articulation at the neck at all. That means that his head looking off to the side is the only way you'll be able to display him. The wrists have also been lost, and the hand/forearm sculpt is similar to Frankenstein, where it's all one piece. The final loss is in the torso. They've gone with the larger, bulkier torso they used for the Kanamit (and for Jaws, coming soon), and that gives Jason a better looking upper body. The clothes don't require padding to be fully filled out, but this torso doesn't have the chest joint, and does not have a ball jointed waist. The cut joint at the waist works fine, but it is less articulation than you've come to expect.

Accessories - ***
Jason comes with three accessories - his machete, axe and display stand. The machete and axe look great, with excellent realism in both the sculpt and the paint application. The stand has Jason graphics on it, and works nicely to hold the figure up in unusual poses. It's not really necessary though, if you're looking to stand him in a basic stance, and I've had no trouble keeping him up on the shelf without it for about a week now.

I mentioned this in the sculpt section, but his right hand doesn't really hold either accessory perfectly. The machete is a bit too small, and the axe works alright but could also be a better fit. They both look great however, and the only real negative here is that for this kind of price point, a couple accessories like this seems extremely light. Considering all the cool weapons that Jason has used, including many items not normally considered weapons, there were some options that could have been explored.

Outfit - ***
The outfit consists of boots (with large soles), pants, jacket, shirt (made from a wooly rough material) and his trademark hockey mask. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure this movie was the first in which he actually wore the hockey mask, and perhaps that was another driving force behind Sideshow selecting this version.

The mask looks great, and has the double straps to hold it perfectly in place. They are just the right size and tension, and you'll have no trouble getting the mask positioned perfectly on his big noggin'. The paint ops here are great as well, although the mask is a tad less distressed than I had expected, and a whole lot less distressed than the teenagers in the film.

The shoes, pants and jacket are all pretty basic and standard. That's to be expected, since that's the design from the film, but it doesn't make for too much excitement. The blood on the jacket was a nice touch however, and the shirt is made from a very realistic and nifty material that matches the film well.

Value - **1/2
This figure was $40 at Sideshow's site, and that's what I'm grading it on here. That's about ten bucks more than you should really spend, but I'm betting this license was not cheap to acquire. With the McFarlane versions from a couple years ago, and the new 7" versions coming out by NECA, I'm also betting that the competition for the license was hot and heavy. Still, do what you can to find a retailer selling these closer to $30 than $40 if possible.

Overall - **1/2
While this character isn't quite perfect, I think most Jason fans will be pleased. The sculpt is great, with decent paint apps and good accessories. The price point is a bit high, and the lower articulation (especially for a Sideshow figure) bring down the overall score, but he's a nice addition to your horror collection. I have mine hanging out right now with the old Universal monsters, until my Freddy, Leatherface and Michael Myers get here.

Where to Buy -
Other than the occasional comic shop, I don't think you'll see these at any bricks and mortar stores. Your options on-line are getting fewer as well, as the modern horror line appears to be very popular. Both Freddy and Jason are sold out at the Sideshow site, and several others I check are also out."
--Michael Crawford

Last edited by thomasjarvis; 09-19-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:17 AM   #24
travisbickle
I Eat Brains!

travisbickle is warning you, I'll put a knife right in you!

Quote:
Shit, you too? Hah hah!
I glued the Jason spitball on the head of another one of my figures in an attempt to create my very own Jason Figure. He wasn't very proportionate, but oh well.

Quote:
I remember being not so secretly a Friday film enthusiast, ever since I first talked a drug store chashiere into letting me rent 'Final Chapter' back in late '84 when I was all of eight years old (I used my mom's rental card and told the check-out girl that she gave me permission to rent it).
I remember going to my local Mom and Pop Video store when I was about 8 or 9 with my Mom, and she was about to let me rent Friday The 13th Part 6 Jason Lives. (my second favorite Friday Film next to Part 4) We took it up to the counter and some old man who ran the place was telling my Mom about how bad these films were, not good for kids and so forth... and basically talked her out of renting it for me.....fucking Asshole!!! I didn't get to see Part 6 until a year or two later, when I finally caught it on one of USA's Friday The 13th Marathons.

So yeah, these are my childhood memories....gluing monster heads on headless GI-Joes, browsing Horror at the local Mom And Pops, and USA Up All Night Horror Marathons...Good stuff indeed.

My DVD's/Blu's
travisbickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #25
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

Oh man...I've been away from this thread for far too long! Time for me to get back on the ball!

Quote:
I glued the Jason spitball on the head of another one of my figures in an attempt to create my very own Jason Figure. He wasn't very proportionate, but oh well.
Wow, thiis post brought back some long-buried memories! I think I actually did the same thing...I think I tried to glue the spitball over the head of one of my existing figures to make it a custom Jason! Not sure what figure I used, I imagine the 12-inch Joes would've been too large...Funny how kids think!

Quote:
I remember going to my local Mom and Pop Video store when I was about 8 or 9 with my Mom, and she was about to let me rent Friday The 13th Part 6 Jason Lives. (my second favorite Friday Film next to Part 4) We took it up to the counter and some old man who ran the place was telling my Mom about how bad these films were, not good for kids and so forth... and basically talked her out of renting it for me.....fucking Asshole!!! I didn't get to see Part 6 until a year or two later, when I finally caught it on one of USA's Friday The 13th Marathons.

Guess I was lucky that the cashier at the drug store believed mne when I told her I had my mom's permission to use her rental card to rent Part IV! I also talked a friend of my Dad's into taping Part V for me off HBO or ShowTime. And that was a half a year or more before 'Jason Lives' was relased theatrically. I'm not even sure if 'New Beginning' was out on video yet...

Quote:
So yeah, these are my childhood memories....gluing monster heads on headless GI-Joes, browsing Horror at the local Mom And Pops, and USA Up All Night Horror Marathons...Good stuff indeed.
Sounds 'bout like my own childhood memories as well...'cept we didn't have cable so I had to talk my dad's friend into taping stuff all the time (he reluctantly did it just to get this annoying little kid off his back!)...

Check these out everybody, might bring back even more memories from our youths...

Last edited by thomasjarvis; 10-25-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #26
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

Default Sideshow Premium Format 22-inch 'PART 3' Figure

http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/s...format-figure/

Sideshow Collectable’s Part 3 Premium Format Figure
By jasonsfury • August 13, 2010

"Sideshow Toys has been teasing this entire week about a special Friday the 13th surprise. Now we know what they have in store for fans. The fans are going to be getting a brand new, Premium Format Part 3 Jason Voorhees Figure! That’s right, for those fans that have been asking repeatedly for this very thing to take place, here is your chance to finally own the very figure you have been, well, dieing for.

Check out the preview images of the figure now!

--"jasonsfury"

Last edited by thomasjarvis; 10-25-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #27
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

Default Mezco’s 3 3/4-inch 'FINAL CHAPTER' figure

Well that's about enough of a look at the 'Part 3' figures. Now, onto 'Part IV - The Final Chapter'!

We'll start off with a look at the 80's G.I. Joe sized 3 3/4-inch figure from Mezco, part of their infamous 'Cinema of Fear' line of figures...

http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/j...of-fear-jason/

Jason gets cut down to size! Mezco’s 3 3/4′ Cinema of Fear Jason
By jasonsfury • February 6, 2009

"In the 80’s and even today, action figures of the 3 3/4 inch variety have been very popular. Hasbro’s GI Joe and Star Wars lines have lined the toy shelves (off and on) for many years. Recently, a resurgence in the 3 3/4 style of toy has began. Jakks Pacific took their WWE line down a few notches with their “Build n’ Brawl” line. Mattel has offered up a shrunken down version of their deep DC comics roster and Hasbro (who also recently had an Indiana Jones line in this size) has recently announced that they will be offering up their Marvel Legends line in this form as well. So it was only fitting that Mezco offer us up someone who can kill off all of these heroes and soldiers in the form of our great friend Jason Voorhees!"

"Mezco’s Cinema of Fear 3 3/4 Jason Voorhees is a Toy Fair exclusive. So if you happen to be attending the event you will be one of the first to have a chance to own this figure. Jason will not be available in stores until much later this year when it will see store shelves with his pals Freddy and Leatherface in the form of a box set. But this figure is a site to behold!"

"The detail for such a small figure is, in all honesty, the most detailed I have ever seen in a figure of this size. In the form of Jason from “The Final Chapter”, the paint job and sculpting are just as detailed as Mezco’s previous “Final Chapter” Jason in the, 7 inch, Cinema of Fear series 1 figure. The coloring and attention to detail leave absolutely nothing to be desired."

"Jason comes with his trademark machete (also excellently painted) and his removeable hockey mask that glows in the dark! The glow in the dark hockey mask will also be exclusive to this Toy Fair release. Jason’s maskless face is detailed much more than one could ever imagine. It captures the look from “The Final Chapter” very well."

"One of the things that will interest current Cinema of Fear fans and may even draw in some people who have forced themselves to shy away from the line has to be the articulation. This is the most articulated Cinema of Fear figure to date. The waist is very similar to all other Cinema of Fear figures. The head is ball jointed as usual and the wrists turn, but this figure contains a lot of added articulation. The elbows and knees are jointed (previously seen in Cinema of Fear series 1). The legs are also ball jointed at the hip with full range of motion seen in a lot of other 3 3/4 lines such as Gi Joe! Where this particular leg articulation may not work with a larger 7 inch figure, it works exceptionally well in 3 3/4 form. Jason is also packaged with a peg stand which helps display the figure since the added leg articulation makes this figure a little harder to stand on its own."

"The Cinema of Fear 3 3/4 figures will be a brillaint addition to the Cinema of Fear series. Protos of the Freddy and Leatherface are already looking equally as amazing as Jason. But Jason is definitely the correct choice to put out first to wet the appetites of fans of this series."

--Tony Carrol

Last edited by thomasjarvis; 10-27-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #28
Horror Chase
The Living Dead

Horror Chase is Eating Your Brains

Send a message via Yahoo to Horror Chase

Here's a quick Cell pic of my 6"-8" scale Jason figs..

Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #29
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Chase View Post
Here's a quick Cell pic of my 6"-8" scale Jason figs..

Cool! Thanks for sharing the pic. They look pretty impressive when you see them all lined up together like that!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #30
Horror Chase
The Living Dead

Horror Chase is Eating Your Brains

Send a message via Yahoo to Horror Chase

I'll try to get a better pic with a real camera soon since this pic does zero justice for them, but thanks