Ultimate Jason Figure Appreciation Thread - Page 2 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Collectibles, figures, and memorabilia.

Collectibles, figures, and memorabilia. posters, figures, whatever.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
mR_BuNgLe
Time Cop

mR_BuNgLe has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjarvis View Post
Say, guys...mR_BuNgLe and/or Klown...is there any way either of you would be willing to seriously entertain the notion of possibly stickifying this thread?
Absolutely.

For record, the 'Latest toy you picked up' thread should have been stickified years ago.

Recent Flicks
Boyhood - 9/10
American Movie - 9/10
Apocalypse Now - 10/10
Indie Game: The Movie - 8/10
Life Aquatic - 8/10
mR_BuNgLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

thomasjarvis is still mourning the loss of humorist Kurt Vonnegut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mR_BuNgLe View Post
Absolutely.
Pure awesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mR_BuNgLe View Post
For record, the 'Latest toy you picked up' thread should have been stickified years ago.
Agreed.

"A truly successful cinematic accomplishment inevitably results in the absolute compulsion of the viewer to discuss the film in question with one or more others for the duration of at least a good fifteen minutes, subsequent to initial screening."

Last edited by thomasjarvis; 09-03-2010 at 11:23 PM.
thomasjarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
Horror Chase
The Living Dead

Horror Chase is Eating Your Brains

Send a message via Yahoo to Horror Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cause of Death View Post
What I really want is the Sideshow Jason from The Final Chapter...it has the surgical hacksaw and, awesomely, a prop machete that fits in his head wound. Do any of you have this? I dont even think it's available anymore, and when it was it was damned expensive.
Yes I have the exclusive version.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

Continuing down the path of our currently ongoing "Part 3-D" theme, here's the lowdown on what I personally consider to be the very best release so far from Mezco's 7-inch 'Cinema of Fear' line...

http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/m...-jason-review/

Mezcoís Cinema of Fear series 4 Jason review (VIDEO REVIEW ADDED)
By Tony Carroll ē July 14, 2009

UPDATE: I know some readers prefer video reviews.
So here it is in video form...

[along with a couple other alternate reviews also hosted on YouTube--ed.]
Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK4FmhnvVA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzM7dH8jXDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLqPTOJSih4

"Itís been a while since Cinema of Fear series 3 hit the market and brought Jason fans a great figure sized version of Jason from Jason Goes to Hell. It was shortly after that release, we were given early pics of series 4 Jason that left collectors drooling at the thought of owning Jason in his Friday the 13th 3D guise. To tide us over, we were presented with a Cinema of Fear figure in February that wasnít part of a larger series. This was to coincide with the release of the Friday the 13th relaunch film. As great as it was, fans were still eager to get their hands on Jason 3.

The wait ends this month as Cinema of Fear series 4 has hit store shelves and online dealers nationwide (Surprisingly this time at Toys R us!).

Mezco has done another amazing job with Jason Voorhees. The packaging this time around is a noticeably different. Itís smaller and not as well protected as previous series (which came completely covered in plastic). Though the figure looks great MOC, itís how it looks out of the package that really makes this entry into the Cinema of Fear a must have!

The details on the 7 inch figure are just amazing. The paint application is spot on. Jason stands with his back arched just like in the film. He comes packaged with his trademark machete, an axe, the severed arm of biker gang leader Ali, as well as an alternate head with the axe chop from the finale of the film.

The mask on the primary head is removable, revealing a super ugly Jason. The sculpt is just a tad off in the nose, but for a 7 inch figure, it contains a striking resemblance to the look in the film. The axe chopped mask on the alternate head does not come off, however, the axe packaged with Jason fits into the wound perfectly.

Jason is articulated in the usual places. The shoulders contain a little maneuverability, and the shoulders twist in order to obtain various poses. The legs are stationary and posed in a motion that allows the figure to stand without trouble. The neck is ball jointed and allows a full range of motion and the waist is also ball jointed. The hands bend and twist at the wrist.

This may very well be the best of the Cinema of Fear figures to date. Mezco continues to do a great job and bringing us versions of Jason that other companies have failed to even try. If you have yet to get your hands on series 4 Jason, be sure to grab one now at (Mezcoís official site or even (Toys R Us! Cinema of Fear series 4 also features (Dr. Freddy . and (Debbie Stevens (Roach Girl) from ďA Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master."
--Tony Carroll

"A truly successful cinematic accomplishment inevitably results in the absolute compulsion of the viewer to discuss the film in question with one or more others for the duration of at least a good fifteen minutes, subsequent to initial screening."
Old 09-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

And...some more pics of Mezco's 'Cinema of Fear #4' 7-inch Jason from 'Part 3'...

Old 09-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

And here's the last of the pics of Mezco's 7-inch 'Part 3' fig...

Last edited by thomasjarvis; 09-18-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #17
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

As decent as Mezo's 'Part 3' 7-inch is, its not even a hair on the back of Kaiyodo's upcoming fig, which has virtually all other commercially released figures beat when it comes to the "wow!" factor. Imagine that, Kaiyodo's version is over two whole inches shorter than Mezco's, and completely dwarfed by Sideshow's 22-inch Premium Format 'FvJ' figure, and yet, for pure authenticity and minute asttention to detail, it simply cannot be beat...

Compare the above pics of the Mezco 7-incher to the below pics of the upcoming mindblower from Kaiyodo:

Quote:

Last edited by thomasjarvis; 09-18-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #18
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

And moving on...Next up on the agenda is bit of a curio...Mezco's Comic Con Exclusive 'Friday the 13th Part 3' Jason Voorhees Living Dead Doll.

Its actually a pretty nify little collectible if you're into that sort of thing. Which I'm not, to be perfectly honest. Its not exactly my cup of tea, I'm more into movie-accurate authenticity. But, for what it is, its prett damn sweet! My ex-girlfriend Melody would likely have adored the thing.

So anywho, without further ado, here's an official review of the doll, which is rather amusing and quite funny in some ways...

http://x-entertainment.com/updates/2...ing-dead-doll/

10/18/2006: The Jason
Voorhees Living Dead Doll.

By Blogger "Matt" for X-Entertainment

"I’m taking what’s become my traditional “Wednesday off” from doing a Countdown entry, because I’m tired and useless and all that jazz. Instead, here’s something that I thought would’ve made for a perfect Countdown post, but there just wasn’t enough for me to say about it beyond AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.

I know that “Living Dead Dolls” have a pretty poignant poser punk pseudogoth stain on them; at the same time, they’re really cool and they make me wish I wasn’t in my sixties. For those unaware, the collection consists of well made (speaking both of materials and craftsmanship) “baby dolls,” all vamped up to look like corpses, psychos, slashers or all of the above. If you can get past the visions of misguided little girls in Sad Emily shirts carrying these things around the back aisles of bookstores, they’re really nice display pieces, assuming you have a place in your home private enough to display baby dolls with blood all over them.

I know that “Living Dead Dolls” have a pretty poignant poser punk pseudogoth stain on them; at the same time, they’re really cool and they make me wish I wasn’t in my sixties. For those unaware, the collection consists of well made (speaking both of materials and craftsmanship) “baby dolls,” all vamped up to look like corpses, psychos, slashers or all of the above. If you can get past the visions of misguided little girls in Sad Emily shirts carrying these things around the back aisles of bookstores, they’re really nice display pieces, assuming you have a place in your home private enough to display baby dolls with blood all over them.

As a special promotion at last year’s Comic-Con, Jason Voorhees became a Living Dead Doll. I wasn’t there, but apparently, the only people who bought the dolls at Comic-Con did so with intentions of an eBay mark-up. Normally, I’d balk, but for baby Jason? Hells bells, yo.

The neatest thing about the Jason Living Dead Doll is that it specifically references our hero’s look in Friday the 13th Part 3. They could’ve just as easily made him more generic — hockey mask and black shoes, not that he doesn’t have those — and totally gotten away with it. It was definitely made with hardcore fans of the series in mind, which makes sense, because only hardcore fans of the series would pay up to and over fifty bucks for a Jason Voorhees Living Dead Doll.

I loved the way Jason looked in Parts 3 & 4, and I’m really glad that they didn’t explore his later, zombie years. Every detail is correct — he’s got the right clothes in the right colors, and there’s even a big mask gash from the axe Jason took to the head at the end of the film.

The doll comes with Jason’s machete, which is also nice and bloody, but I couldn’t get the thing to actually fit in the doll’s hand. I guess they never expected people to open the boxes, because then they’re worth NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING! Pish and a posh and a 1-2. More incredible is that the mask is removable, revealing a baby-faced Jason Voorhees that increases the likelihood that I’ll kiss something today by 10,000%.

Everything about the doll is just…right. The box utilizes the right color scheme and font; the doll utilizes the right color scheme and, uh, feet. Knowing that my eternal love for all things Jason isn’t something shared by every X-E reader, I should also mention that there’s an Edward Scissorhands Living Dead Doll.

Great doll, great thing, great big waste of money that I don’t regret. I’ve always wondered what Jason’s ass looked like, and now I know. I’m schooled.

On another note, in yesterday’s Countdown entry, I got all whiny about how Toys ‘R” Us stores aren’t organized like they used to be; particularly that they’ve switched out the supermarket-style aisles for randomly placed standees. Well, I went to my local TRU for the first time in weeks tonight, and what do I find? Supermarket aisles. Wow. I don’t know if it was a mandate from HQ or one specific manager’s decision, but if yours is doing the same, and you’re around the same age as me, go there now. Holy memories. I was five-years-old again. Everyone was giving me lollipops."
--Blogger "Matt" for X-Entertainment

Last edited by thomasjarvis; 09-18-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #19
thomasjarvis
Rotting Corpse

And now (for something completely different...but I promise not to spam-a-lot, sirs )...a bit of history to provide some context: during Jason's original reign of terror at the boxoffice in the 1980's, there wasn't much tie-in merchandise to be had.

Executives at Paramount feared that possibly oversaturating the marketplace with Jason memorabilia might diminish the appeal of the charactor...plus they didn't really like to even publically acknolledge the very existence of the franchise, at least, that is, untill the fast approaching release date of a particular new entry, at which time they would send out assorted & willing members of principal cast & crew to do interviews with Fangoria, Gorezone, etc., as well as sending out the ubiquitious press kits.

You could practically count the number of mass marketed tie-in memorabilia on two hands...there were the novelizations by Simon Hawke and Michael Avallone, the rubber "spit-ball" toy, the Nintendo game that was released a little while after 'Jason Takes Manhattan' and a few years before Paramount finally sold off the rights to New Line Cinema.

And there were the true progenitors of the modern Jason figure...the classic model kits released in 1987 and 1988 by Kaiyodo and Screamin', respectively. We'll get to those soon enough, in a subsequent post. Continuing with our little history lesson...then came the 90's. After New Line acquired the rights to the charactor, they began testing the waters with Jason-related memorabilia here and there, but not to the point of over-saturaization (it seems they had learned a few lessons in the late 80's from that guy that "built their house"...what was his name again? Fred something-or-other?).

But still no official figures...at least not untill a few years after the release of "Jason Goes To Hell', at which time the first offical Jason "figure" was unleashed upon us...a 16-inch (or thereabouts, my memory fails me) plush doll by Spencer Gifts that went "tchhh-tchhh-tchhh...hahh-hahh-hahh..." when you squeezed its belly...released alongside similarly gagg-inducing cutesy-cuddly caracatures of Freddy, Leatherface, and Michael Myers.

And boy-howdy, was that pathetic little thing freakin' epically retarded in its misbegotten appearance. Coming, as it were, in the wake of 'Jason Goes To Hell'...meant that it, like all other Jason-related merchandise at that time, had to follow Jason's specific look as it was depicted in the last movie to have been released. Which pretty much doomed this wretched doll from the start, even had the very notion of these "trinkets" not been so ill-concieved from the get-go. But its facial appearance...oh man...it looked like a one-eyed mutant alien dressed in human work clothes and shielded from the harsh elements by a strange type of protective face-guard that doubled as a special breathing aparatus!

That little mishap kind of killed the whole figure thing for a number of years...untill McFarlane Toys gave it a go around 1998 or '99. And it was...better than the Spencer Gifts travesty. But still...not so great. MacFarlane had some truly spectacular Spawn figures back then, and some of their trendsetting Movie Maniacs line were very detailed and fairly movie accurate for the time, such as 'The Crow' & 'Edward Scissorhands' figures, those two wonderous sculpts based off 'John Carpenter's 'The Thing'...and Todd's Michael Myers was truly a thing of beauty (back in the pre-Neca day)...but when it came to poseable "action figures"--Jason, it seemed at the time, was cursed.

While ostensibly another supposed tie-in with 'Jason Goes To Hell' (it came with a miniature poster replica for that very film), the sculpt was touted at the time by devoted McFarlanites as a stylised tribute to the various cinematic incarnations of our beloved big-headed oaf; "portrait-of-a-psychotic-goalie-thru-the-years" kind of deal. Except that it really wasn't. This is how it actually broke down...the torn shirt and holey gloves were 'Jason Takes Manhattan'. The bubbly head and trouser belt were patently 'Jason Goes To Hell'. The exposed arms showing through torn sleves, again JTM, but with JGTH flesh-coloring.

The mask? Not actually based around any particular film at all, but instead a highly stylised take on the mask as it was depicted in the Topps Comics 3-issue adaptation of 'Jason Goes To Hell'...which barely even registered as looking remotely like our iconic hockey mask from the days of yore. In short, the figure was styled after the last two installments at that time, JTM and JGTH, but nothing pre-1989...

And so, aside from the classic 80's model kits, horror memorabilia collecting Friday fanatics would have to suffer through a few more years, sans a quality Jason figure, untill the fullblown explosion of Horror Filmdom's Golden Age of Tie-In Collectibles was at last upon us...

That Golden Age was in its very infancy in the late 90's, barely out of the womb even. The age was indeed sparked by McFarlane, but it would be Neca and Sideshow that led the revolution...

Somtime between mid-2002 to mid-2003, Neca released the first commercially available, mass-marketed, movie accurate Jason figure...the simply mammoth and draw-droppingly detailed 18-inch Part VII...and following not long after this momentous event (lol), Sideshow opened the floodgates yet further by unleashing the first official (and arguably greatest thusfar) 1/6th scale Jason figure---speaking of which, leads us to our next 'Part 3' related subject of interest...

...To be continued...

Last edited by thomasjarvis; 09-18-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #20
travisbickle
I Eat Brains!

travisbickle is warning you, I'll put a knife right in you!

Quote:
Ha! I used to have those spitballs when I was younger. Great Thread BTW, really in depth.

The Jason figures I have currently...

Mezco Jason from Part 3 (still in package)
Mezco Jason from Part 6 (still in package)
Mezco Jason Goes To Hell (still in package)

Neca 18 inch sound activated Jason from part 7 (opened)
Neca Friday The 13th 25th Anniversary Boxed Set (still in package)
Neca Jason from Freddy vs Jason Boxed Set (opened)

McFarlane Movie Maniacs series 1 Jason (opened)

I also have the first two Volumes of Jason comics Wildstorm released. And I'll be all over that kaiyodo Jason figure when it comes out.

My DVD's/Blu's

Last edited by travisbickle; 09-18-2010 at 11:32 PM.
travisbickle is offline   Reply With Quote