Inherent Vice (2014) - PT Anderson - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
mR_BuNgLe
Time Cop

mR_BuNgLe has no status.

Default Inherent Vice (2014) - PT Anderson

Needles to say I'm interested in anything PT Anderson does, and throw in Joaquin Phoenix as the lead, yet again, and this becomes my most anticipated flick of 2014.

It's an adaptation of Thomas Pynchon's 2009 novel about a drug-fueled, LA PI (Phoenix) who investigates the disappearance of an ex-girlfriend (on the surface, of course) and according to Amazon is 'part noir, part psychedelic romp, all Thomas Pynchon - private eye Doc Sportello surfaces, occasionally, out of a marijuana haze to watch the end of an era.'

I'm a third of the way through reading it, and so far it's been enteraining as hell. It's very funny and is becoming a somewhat complex mystery, with it's plot twists and number of whacked-out, weirdo characters, that paints and incredibly vivid picture of a recently post-Manson, late 60's Los Angeles.

It seems like somewhat new territory for Anderson, yet familiar as it's set in and influenced by an end of an era/decade that's fueled by sex and drugs, much the same way Boogie Nights was.

So far the kick-ass cast includes, Pheonix, Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson, Benecio Del Toro, Martin Short, Jenna Malone... Oh, and it's rumoured that some hack named Sean Penn is currently in talks to
join.

Can't wait!

Last edited by mR_BuNgLe; 05-20-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: sp
mR_BuNgLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
horrorking95
Rotting Corpse

horrorking95 is singing Believe! BY CHER!

Send a message via MSN to horrorking95

There Will Be Blood is the only Paul Thomas Anderson film I've seen and I was blown away by it. I honestly think it's one of the greatest films ever made. I've heard bad things about his other films like, Magnolia and The Master, which I've heard are slow and boring, but also a lot of people love them! I don't know who to believe!

I must see Boogie Nights though.

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/
horrorking95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorking95 View Post
There Will Be Blood is the only Paul Thomas Anderson film I've seen and I was blown away by it. I honestly think it's one of the greatest films ever made. I've heard bad things about his other films like, Magnolia and The Master, which I've heard are slow and boring, but also a lot of people love them! I don't know who to believe!

see all of them.

Everything about this sound fantastic. I actually have the novel sitting around somewhere, I'll have to read it soon.

1. The Ocean - Bathyalpelagic I: Impasses
2. The Knife - Full of Fire
3. The Drones - Why Write a Letter That You'll Never Send
4. Death Grips - Spread Eagle Cross the Block
5. Giant Giant - The House, the Street, the Room
6. Bob Dylan - Most of the Time
7. Johnny Greenwood - Oil
8. Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Definition
9. Janelle Monae - Q.U.E.E.N.
The Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Midnight-Kroovy
Rotting Corpse

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

I'm so psyched for Inherent Vice, everything about it from cast to story is right up my alley. And anything in the hands of PT Anderson is exciting, The Master was probably my favorite film of 2012.

I'm undecided about whether to read the book or not though.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Jack the Pin
Send... More... Paramedics

Jack the Pin is trying to tie a bell around the tail of his Cartesian demon

Inherent Vice is my least favorite Pynchon novel, but it's also the only one other than maybe Vineland or the Crying of Lot 49 that could actually be given a film treatment. Good for Mr. Pynchon! He will make probably a million before everything is said and done, and he is certainly deserving of the money as well as the increased notoriety.
Jack the Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
dead breed
Super Moderator

dead breed is fire walk with me.

Sounds fucking awesome.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #7
Ultimate High
Rotting Corpse

Ultimate High has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorking95 View Post

I think all his stuff sans, arguably, Magnolia is genuinely better than There Will Be...; Bn is beyond glorious.

To me, there's a correlation with Tarantino in that both were significantly better before they decided to adopt the hand-held, needlessly self-serious/studious, style.

inhale

exhale
Ultimate High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #8
Se7en
Send... More... Paramedics

Se7en is high

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.ca/2...e-insider.html

Quote:
"Last night I spoke to a friend who knows a woman who recently saw Paul Thomas Anderson's Inherent Vice... Her initial nutshell reaction was that she "didn't get it" because...well, how could I know? But one of the apparent blockages was that it doesn't adhere to a precise narrative through-line that led anywhere in particular (i.e. no third-act payoff). But then she started to understand it a bit more when she began to think about it the next day. A film that's more about the journey than the destination. I told this guy that three months ago an industry friend who'd seen Vice had described it in a similar way, calling it "brilliant and mesmerizing in an atmospheric, non-linear sort of way"as well as 'Lebowski-esque'"
Fuck all these people who get to see films so early

I had the same problem with the narrative meandering that goes nowhere in both The Master and No Country For Old Men so this news is ehhh to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxley View Post
I hoped I would get raped walking back to my car afterwards as it would have left the night on a high note compared to the shit that those films were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
Jason X is by far my favorite of the franchise and one of my all time favorite horror films. I love it and I watch it a few times a year.
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:13 AM   #9
BoOMST1CK
Rotting Corpse

BoOMST1CK is currently going through symptoms of WORLD CUP FEVER !

Been looking forward to this since forever. There Will Be Blood is an outstanding movie, such fantastic directing from PTA, that soundtrack is awesome and not to mention it has Daniel Day Lewis - he kicks the ass out of any character hes ever played, such a joy to watch.

Boogie Nights though, is easily in my top 10 movies of all time, the acting, directing, soundtrack, story, everything for me was perfect, I have such a good time watching this any time I do.

My other favourite PTA movie is Punch Drunk Love, I dont feel it get the recognition it deserves but again like all the PTA movies I've seen the acting, directing and soundtracks were all spot on! Such a good little story too, wasn't expecting Sandler to be so good in it too.

I've yet to see Magnolia, The Master and Hard Eight.. all sound right up my street though.
Old Today, 05:19 AM   #10
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

Still not entirely sold on The Master.

It's just a hard film to like. It's cold and its characters are unlikeable. All of them.

My fave PTA film is hands down There Will Be Blood but I'll definitely check this out. He's one of those ass to the cinema directors.
Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote