DVD Pickup Thread v2 - Page 155 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Blu-Ray/DVD Releases and Reviews

Blu-Ray/DVD Releases and Reviews Discussion of current and upcoming DVD releases, technical specifications only. Film discussion itself to be kept to their respective sections.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #1541
ololmarcus
Fresh Kill

ololmarcus is forever alone

ololmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #1542
acp35
The Living Dead

acp35 is Can't wait to meet Savini on the 14th at the Horrorfest!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Kubrick's vision>>>>>>>>>King's vision.
Not in a million years.

The average film snob might say that but Kubrick, though a genius, knew next to nothing about the horror genre. And his take on the book is questionable at best. as genius as Kubrick is he never really got the book or just didnt care. As for the casting. Yes Nicholson is awesome but there is no depth of character at all there. You see Torrance at the beginning and its absolutely no leap at all to see him as being bat shit crazy.

King wrote the Shining. It's King's vision and King's story you do not beat the author at your attempted vision of his original project.

The shining was a horrible adaption and also Barry lyndon was a horribly boring film and this comes from someone who likes kubrick.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #1543
Cebonation04
Demigod

Cebonation04 has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Cebonation04

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
So I assume all the Salem's Lot grabs i've been seeing are all from Big Lots?

Dammit, I bought it used for $10 bucks a while back thinking it was a great deal...And of course a week after I buy it, Big Lots has it New for $3....
I got mine used from Moviestop.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #1544
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp35 View Post
Not in a million years.

The average film snob might say that but Kubrick, though a genius, knew next to nothing about the horror genre.
And book snobs can make moronic comments on Kubrick knowing nothing about horror, even though The Shining is on nearly every "Top Ten Horror" list out there, and has the status of being a timeless classic, with iconic performances. Good, thoughtful comment you made right there....

Quote:
And his take on the book is questionable at best. as genius as Kubrick is he never really got the book or just didnt care. As for the casting. Yes Nicholson is awesome but there is no depth of character at all there. You see Torrance at the beginning and its absolutely no leap at all to see him as being bat shit crazy.

King wrote the Shining. It's King's vision and King's story you do not beat the author at your attempted vision of his original project.
No, but you can make it better. Which Kubrick did.

Quote:
The shining was a horrible adaption and also Barry lyndon was a horribly boring film and this comes from someone who likes kubrick.
Barry Lyndon was boring. I'll give you that. Not sure what it has to do with The Shining, but alright....

Kubrick was a visionary, and the fact that he took so many liberties with the original source material, made it his own, and still made a great/successful film that divides audiences of both the book and the movie to this day, should tell you he did something right.

There is a difference between "bad", and "different".

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #1545
el terror
Rotting Corpse

el terror is excited for Friday 13th

"I have no idea where this will take us but I have a feeling it will be both wonderful and strange"
el terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #1546
morts vivants
Fresh Kill

morts vivants is diagnosed with class IX Necrophilia

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

MY DVD/BLU COLLECTIONhttp://morts-vivants.dvdaf.com
morts vivants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #1547
CJ_01976
It... Won't... Die...

CJ_01976 is gone

Send a message via MSN to CJ_01976

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp35 View Post
Not in a million years.

The average film snob might say that but Kubrick, though a genius, knew next to nothing about the horror genre. And his take on the book is questionable at best. as genius as Kubrick is he never really got the book or just didnt care. As for the casting. Yes Nicholson is awesome but there is no depth of character at all there. You see Torrance at the beginning and its absolutely no leap at all to see him as being bat shit crazy.

And Stephen King is a boring writer whose work only shines when others put their own spin on it. King's tv version of The Shining was an extremely overlong, wordy, dull, and tedious affair that was as laughable as it was lame. It had zero tension and zero suspense, two things the film version had in spades. Kubrick has had a few misfires as a filmmaker, but all filmmakers do eventually. King snobs can fuck of. He is not worth the praise. And it pisses me of that King's version of The Shining is on DVD and the tv version of Intensity is not when that one deserves to be.
CJ_01976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #1548
acp35
The Living Dead

acp35 is Can't wait to meet Savini on the 14th at the Horrorfest!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_01976 View Post
And Stephen King is a boring writer whose work only shines when others put their own spin on it. King's tv version of The Shining was an extremely overlong, wordy, dull, and tedious affair that was as laughable as it was lame. It had zero tension and zero suspense, two things the film version had in spades. Kubrick has had a few misfires as a filmmaker, but all filmmakers do eventually. King snobs can fuck of. He is not worth the praise. And it pisses me of that King's version of The Shining is on DVD and the tv version of Intensity is not when that one deserves to be.
And pretentious artsy film and literary snobs can shove it. But name calling doesn't get you anywhere.

Kubricks film was well shot but it was still horribly written, badly cast, and completely devoid of any characterization. His attempts at horror were shockingly low grade for such a director. And as for King I don't care if you like him or not. He didnt write for the elite he wrote for the masses and a lot of the more snobby fans didn't like the fact that it wasn't elitist. There are always the people out there that basically hate something because its popular. For no actual real reason but that.

I didn't like Carrie at all as a novel but when DePalma directed the film he followed along and added to the source material.

Kubricks film worked in SPITE of the source material, inspite of the casting, in spite of the script not because of it.

Theres no way you can straight faced look at me and say that novels like The Shining, Christine, The Stand, and Salem's Lot do not have a valid place in literary horror history because thats bull.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #1549
CANADARULES
I Eat Brains!

CANADARULES is looking forward ot Jaws being released on blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_01976 View Post
Love that one.

I really hope the sequel that comes out this year will also be just as good or better.
CANADARULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #1550
Jinx
I Eat Brains!

Jinx is Gutter

Send a message via Yahoo to Jinx