Black/Death Metal Fans - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Music Discussion

Music Discussion Wow that new Britney Track Rules! Talk about that (and other music stuff) here.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
Tool Shed
I Ban People

Tool Shed is swimming.

Default Black/Death Metal Fans

I know some of you have to like Death Metal, but Black Metal seems like it is rarely mentioned on this site.

This thread is to basically discuss bands from the two genres or their subgenres i.e. grindcore, goregrind, etc.
A couple bands I recommend are:

Leviathan- Old school black metal with a new school twist. I have 4 albums from this band everyone is equally great. This is some dark, and at times depressing Black Metal. The band consist of one member, Wrest, and he's a genius in the field of Black Metal. He also creats errie instrumentals, and I for one would love to see him score a film. But not likely to happen. I also really like his vocals. This is one of if not my favorite Black Metal bands.

Song to download: The Key to the Tenth Level of Suicide

Judas Iscariot-Old school Black Metal. This band also consist of one member, Akhenaten, but with session drummers.. I have 6 albums and each one is different than the last. All have some great quality to them. His vocals vary from one album to the next, which is a nice change. He uses the occasional keyboard, but without creating some Cradle of Filthesc sound. One of my favorite Black Metal bands.

Song to download: (hard to decide) In te Valley of Death, I am their King -or- Bathed in Clouds of Blood.

Xasthur- Raw Old School Black Metal. Like Leviathan, Xasthur's sound is very dark/evil. But if you don't like music that is really raw, then you probably won't like this band. On the album, Telepathic with the Deceased, you get a faint sense that vocals are somewhere in the song, but it is drowned out by the music. In my opinion, it doesn't really take away from the effectivness that is Xasthur. Like the other two bands mentioned, Xasthur consist of one member, Maleific. Like Leviathan, he creates instrumentals that sound like they are straight out of a horror movie.

S2D: Slaughtered Useless Beings in a Nihilistic Dream

*note: Maybe you could have noticed, but I am drawn towards Black Metal.

Also, can anyone recommend me some Japanese Black Metal? I have other Japanese Metal, and I really enjoy the vocals. So, I am hoping the Black Metal offers up the same.

Tool Shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
Scathain
Not Dead Yet

Scathain has no status.

The only Japanese black metal bands I really know are Sabbat and Sigh.

For Sabbat I suggest the "Envenom" album, and for Sigh I'd suggest "Hail Horror Hail"

You've probably heard of it already, but there's a band called Twilight that has Malefic and Wrest in it, as well as a few other well known black metal musicians...though I'm not a fan of that style at all you may appreciate it.

However I do HIGHLY recommend Darkspace and Weakling.

EDIT: Oh ya, death metal....

DEMILICH, which technically may not even be death metal, but is total awesomeness nonetheless.

Nunslaughter, which is total old-school rifftastic death metal. You know, when it wasn't just constant blast beats and shitty "i'll play as many notes as possible without thought to structure and it will be awesome because it's TEKNIKUL" garbage.

Witch Tomb, though the only thing they recorded so far is on a 4 way split album that I'm fairly sure is sold out, but it's crazy evil death metal with some of the best vocals I've ever heard.

My desriptions suck, and I'm too lazy to write anymore. Blagh.
Scathain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
Tool Shed
I Ban People

Tool Shed is swimming.

Thanks for the recommedations, I'll have to check those out. I heard of Twilight, but I didn't know that they were in it.

This thread didn't take off as well as I thought it would've...

Old 09-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #4
Horraholics_Anonymous
The Living Dead

Horraholics_Anonymous has no status.

The only Japanese band I can give you is Defiled. They're a Brutal Death Metal band. Pretty good and technical stuff. Check it out if you havn't.

Hate Forest - Ukranian Epic/Raw Black Metal band. Vocals are very death metal like, but it dosn't ruin the atmosphere. Think of the band as Burzum gone more rawer and more epic. Awsome stuff. Also check out Drudkh if you like HF.

Exumer - German Speed/Thrash Metal. I just discovered this band. They have to be one of the best thrash bands to come out of Germany. They only have two albums. I recommend Possessed By Fire.

Bulldozer - Italian Early Black Metal. Highly inspired by Venom, they bring you non-stop Black Metal. What else can I say?

Belenos - French Pagan/Folk Black Metal. One of my favourite BM bands! Almost similar to Ulver's first album (Bergtatt). Very hypnotising at some parts. Meaning that you'll be in your own world when listening to it.

Von - US Black Metal. Some of the most satanic shit I've heard, even though they're are only 3-4 riffs in each song. They only have 2 demos, but they kick ass! One of the main inspiration's for Black Metal as we know it today. Definately check this band out if you havn't!

Abyssic Hate - Australian Depressive Black Metal. Some of the most depressive music I've heard. One man band who hate's society. I always tend to shed a tear when listening to this stuff.

Vinterriket - German Ambient/Synth Black Metal. With countless albums, this one man band produces some of the most mind boggeling ambient pieces which are totally inspired by nature/forests. I feel like I'm in a deep forest when I listen to it. Also very relaxing.

Manetheren - US Depressive Black Metal. A very unknown band from Wisconsion(Sp?). Besides Abyssic Hate, this is the most depressive music EVER! With songs ranging from 7-20 minutes long, you can't help but listen to what these guys can accomplish by making you in the state of depression/sadness whenever you listen to it.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
Lifes-a-Game
Rotting Corpse

Lifes-a-Game is waiting

Default Go

I really don't know much Black Metal, but if you'll care to look at my signature down there..

Also, not too sure what genre this band is, but I'll say it here. PlagueFetish. They're probably Death Metal...
________
VAPOR GENIE REVIEW

Last edited by Lifes-a-Game; 05-07-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Lifes-a-Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
Tool Shed
I Ban People

Tool Shed is swimming.

I knew you'd show your face around here sooner or later(H_A)...and I'm glad you did. You seem to know a lot about the genres, and I trust your tastes.

But Von...bleh. Dark Funeral and Leviathan covered Blood Angel and I still didn't like it. Me and my friends listened to it on the way to Hollywood, and I just didn't Von at all. Maybe I should take another listen. But from what I remember, I didn't like it.

Here's a couple more bands:

In Memorium- This is boderline between melodic Death Metal and just a hint of Black Metal. I wouldn't call it Blackend Death (Dissection) because it doesn't really fit into that catagory. They use keyboards and the guitars are more upbeat but fast and furious. The drums are pretty good as well. There aren't blast beats everywhere, so it gives it more variety. At times they remind me of thrash. The band isn't too brutal but its still pretty good stuff.

Shroud of Despondency- SoD is another band that is hard to put into words. It is another one man, Rory Heikkila. Black Metal vocals with a different sound. This band is musical, and by that I mean, this guy has talent. On an album (can't remember the name and it was stolen from me) its filled with classical/acoustic guitars and keyboards. Black Metal with solos...Yes! The songs move from slow steady beats to lightening fast at the drop of the dime and I love it. The sound is pretty raw as well.

When I get my computer back up, maybe some of us can exchange some songs.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
LRonHubbard
Rotting Corpse

LRonHubbard has no status.

You know, I like blackmetal, but I'm not too into goregrind or grindcore or many of that type. I'm more into the atmospheric and doom/dark/gothic whatever you want to call it side of black metal. I like stuff like Diabolical Masquerade, Katatonia, some Dissection, and of course the bands that started out really heavy black/death metal then all suddenly changed styles completely on one cd: Katatonia, Tiamat, Paradise Lost, Therion, Amorphis, Anathema. Which brings an interesting question: most of these bands were of the same genre when they started, then all of them, not gradually, but in one CD changed the styles of their music significantly, but all to a very similar style. Does anyone else find that strange?

Enslaved and Carpathian Forest are ok too, but not my favorite.

Film ratings | The DVDs
LRonHubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:01 AM   #8
Tool Shed
I Ban People

Tool Shed is swimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRonHubbard
You know, I like blackmetal, but I'm not too into goregrind or grindcore or many of that type. I'm more into the atmospheric and doom/dark/gothic whatever you want to call it side of black metal. I like stuff like Diabolical Masquerade, Katatonia, some Dissection, and of course the bands that started out really heavy black/death metal then all suddenly changed styles completely on one cd: Katatonia, Tiamat, Paradise Lost, Therion, Amorphis, Anathema. Which brings an interesting question: most of these bands were of the same genre when they started, then all of them, not gradually, but in one CD changed the styles of their music significantly, but all to a very similar style. Does anyone else find that strange?

Enslaved and Carpathian Forest are ok too, but not my favorite.
Maybe it was the water? If you like dark/depressing Black Metal, you should check out Leviathan for sure. I whore this band out like crazy, a lot of stuff on Moribund Records. Why? Because its good shit.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:38 AM   #9
DeathMarchToSodom
Fresh Kill

DeathMarchToSodom has no status.

Exumer is just plain Thrash. Bulldozer is Black/Thrash, not Black Metal.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:40 AM   #10
DeathMarchToSodom
Fresh Kill

DeathMarchToSodom has no status.

Accidental double post.