What films did you watch today? V2 - Page 3543 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #35421
Freddy_Lives
Zinc Saucier

Freddy_Lives is Eating at Bob's Burgers

AMC Fearfest is airing more Friday the 13th's that I shall be watching for the millionth time but to top it off probably my extremely used sleepaway camp dvd!

So sinister is getting rave reviews ? The whole ghost revolution is tiring me out these days but Ethan Hawke is usually always a watch.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #35422
The Bear Jew
It... Won't... Die...

The Bear Jew is the Sadie Saxton of BD...

Friday The 13TH Part V- A New Beginning 7/10

Even though Jason is fake, this outing has way too much going for it, especially the hilarious cast of misfits in this thing...

The Bear Jew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #35423
Freddy_Lives
Zinc Saucier

Always dug the dancing girl death scene in a new beginning! She didn't get laid though Ironically I saw her in a episode of Freddy's Nightmares a few years back never caught that before.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #35424
Dr. McStuffin
Rotting Corpse

Dr. McStuffin is making the Lacerta Plague look like a fucking square dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
In general, I agree that Prometheus will be very fondly remembered. Still, times have changed, movies have taken different paths and explored new territory. The "politics" of movie fans have been dramatically changed since the original Alien came out. Prometheus will always have its vocal critics, but as more and more see the film in retrospective (and hopefully view the successful franchise it begins), I also think this will be remembered as a masterpiece.

Very odd how it has divided audiences so dramatically. Its faults are honestly not a big deal. I've perhaps never seen a film that is so unfairly nitpicked when stuff like The Dark Knight Rises (which is even more full of silliness and plot holes... perhaps a result of bad editing) is raved and considered an instant classic. I don't mean to directly compare the two movies, but it is pretty easy to do seeing as Dark Knight Rises is certainly a good film, but no where near a masterpiece or instant classic. Unlike Prometheus, films like that will degrade over time, and be remembered for other things (such as the terrible shooting that occurred at the midnight showing of TDKR) more than the film itself.

Perhaps I'm wrong (probably am) and undoubtably many of you will think I'm crazy for having these beliefs. I'm just stunned over the negative response Prometheus has received. Some people calling it stunningly bad and hilariously misguided make me wonder if they even saw the same movie. The scene where the guy is comfortable handling the worm/alien and the cartographer seem to ruin the entire movie for some people.
I think the criticisms of the film are pretty valid. There's mischaracterization all over the place.
Spoiler Below
Yes, the cartographer gets lost. Yes, the biologist fears a dead thing but wants to make out with a space cobra. Yes, the scientist makes the greatest scientific discovery of all time but goes on and sulks and drinks two bottles of vodka and yet his speech is not slurred. Back to the cartographer, he's a punk rock pot smoker with very bad people skills, yet he's hired to go on a trillion dollar space mission because he "loves rocks". Yes, there's some of Weyland's handlers skulking about, yet no one ever asks, "Who the fuck are those guys?" Yes, the captain of a trillion dollar space mission is another alky who is more worried about snaking ass than saving his crew.
It's funny how the entire script depends on the characters being intoxicated or horny in order for everything to come into place, like teenagers in a slasher film. It's wonky as hell, let's admit it.

With that said, I broke down and bought the blu and watched it again. Despite some shitty writing, it's still a pretty cool and amazing looking film.
Spoiler Below
I love the crash scene, the trilobite scene, and the cesarian scene. Still don't like the Deacon, but I decided it's better to think of it as something metamorphosing than something final, so I can sort of forgive it's silliness.

The movie does seem to get a little better nevertheless.

As far as TDKR - with more analysis it's a much weaker film than Prometheus will ever be.
Spoiler Below
Batman sulks. Batman gets his ass kicked. Batman is almost ass kicked again but gets saved by a girl half his size. Batman quits.
I think I might have overrated it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
I love the movie and all, but that scene is fucking stupid. Everything in that scene is just wrong, and makes me wonder how Scott thought it was appropriate for the final cut. It also brings up another problem I have with the film, in that the entire crew had no idea what the mission actually was, until they got there. I think a mission taking two and a half years of your life away, would involve some kind of pre-briefing.

Still a great movie, that does get better with each viewing, but there are some glaring issues that I can understand people getting pissed off at. I don't understand how Scott doesn't want to extend the movie to flesh out the story a bit more. He's made extended cuts of far less scrutinized movies who most people don't give a fuck about, so why not this one? Especially when everyone, fans and haters alike, agree that it would most definately improve the film.
Quoted for level headedness.

Last edited by Dr. McStuffin; 10-17-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Dr. McStuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #35425
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs

Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.

Send a message via MSN to Oxley

Quote:
In general, I agree that Prometheus will be very fondly remembered. Still, times have changed, movies have taken different paths and explored new territory. The "politics" of movie fans have been dramatically changed since the original Alien came out. Prometheus will always have its vocal critics, but as more and more see the film in retrospective (and hopefully view the successful franchise it begins), I also think this will be remembered as a masterpiece.

Very odd how it has divided audiences so dramatically. Its faults are honestly not a big deal. I've perhaps never seen a film that is so unfairly nitpicked when stuff like The Dark Knight Rises (which is even more full of silliness and plot holes... perhaps a result of bad editing) is raved and considered an instant classic. I don't mean to directly compare the two movies, but it is pretty easy to do seeing as Dark Knight Rises is certainly a good film, but no where near a masterpiece or instant classic. Unlike Prometheus, films like that will degrade over time, and be remembered for other things (such as the terrible shooting that occurred at the midnight showing of TDKR) more than the film itself.

Perhaps I'm wrong (probably am) and undoubtably many of you will think I'm crazy for having these beliefs. I'm just stunned over the negative response Prometheus has received. Some people calling it stunningly bad and hilariously misguided make me wonder if they even saw the same movie. The scene where the guy is comfortable handling the worm/alien and the cartographer seem to ruin the entire movie for some people.
Fully agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
I love the movie and all, but that scene is fucking stupid. Everything in that scene is just wrong, and makes me wonder how Scott thought it was appropriate for the final cut. It also brings up another problem I have with the film, in that the entire crew had no idea what the mission actually was, until they got there. I think a mission taking two and a half years of your life away, would involve some kind of pre-briefing.

Still a great movie, that does get better with each viewing, but there are some glaring issues that I can understand people getting pissed off at. I don't understand how Scott doesn't want to extend the movie to flesh out the story a bit more. He's made extended cuts of far less scrutinized movies who most people don't give a fuck about, so why not this one? Especially when everyone, fans and haters alike, agree that it would most definately improve the film.
I still thin there is A LOT of nit picking regarding the film. And in the deleted scenes it shows they encounter another serpent-type thing that isn't at all hostel. Granted they should have left it in the film, but it doesn't matter.

He was curious, how do you think people learned snakes are deadly? I'm guessing in much the same way, curiosity killed the cat, or, scientist.

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Oxley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #35426
MrBrownEyes
The Living Dead

MrBrownEyes is loving his awesome chainsaw.

Friday the 13th Part V A New Beginning
When a Stranger Calls '79
MrBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #35427
Freddy_Lives
Zinc Saucier

Gotta love AMC!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #35428
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

the Tall Man - 8/10

Out of fucking nowhere this movie turns from a horror movie to a surprisingly emotional drama. Halfway through this movie goes in a completely unexpected direction. Acting is solid all around (especially from Jessica Biel... never thought I'd say that). Check this out, but don't expect terror. Very surprising treat... food for thought.

edit

Just like the director's last film (Martyrs), the Tall Man decides to completely change gears halfway through this thing. Shocking.

Last edited by The Revelator; 10-18-2012 at 12:03 AM.
The Revelator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #35429
black coffee
It... Won't... Die...

black coffee has no status.

Send a message via MSN to black coffee

Quote:
the Tall Man - 8/10

Out of fucking nowhere this movie turns from a horror movie to a surprisingly emotional drama. Halfway through this movie goes in a completely unexpected direction. Acting is solid all around (especially from Jessica Biel... never thought I'd say that). Check this out, but don't expect terror. Very surprising treat... food for thought.

edit

Just like the director's last film (Martyrs), the Tall Man decides to completely change gears halfway through this thing. Shocking.

FINALLY someone who dug it as much as I did. I thought it was a great movie.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #35430
Jayy
It... Won't... Die...

Jayy is in bed with Lindy Booth aboard the Sulaco.

Friday The 13th Part V - 6/10

Friday The 13th Part VI - 7/10

Wrong Turn 5 - 4/10