Shame (2011) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
I am Tetsuo
Fresh Kill

I am Tetsuo is Lobotomising his victims

Location: A place where a man's worth is measured in the ears hanging from his dog tags... The real deep shit
Default Shame (2011)

New film from director Steve McQueen, starring Michael Fassbender and Carrie Mulligan.

Plot (IMDB): In New York City, Brandon's carefully cultivated private life, which allows him to indulge his sexual addiction, is disrupted when his sister Sissy arrives unannounced for an indefinite stay.

I saw this recently and... Wow.

Anybody who's seen director Steve McQueens debut film Hunger, should already know that he is an artistic genius... Everything that made Hunger excellent; awe-inspiring direction, terrific performances, beautiful cinematography, is also evident in Shame.

I thought the film depicted a very realistic and brave approach to addiction and pulls no punches in showing you every aspect of Brandon's sexual exploits.

As well as exploring the depravity of addiction and showcasing a brilliant character-study, the film also contains a LOT of nudity & graphic sex scenes, with full-frontal nude shots of both men and women... Something that I believe is considered taboo in the USA, where the film was given the dreaded NC17 rating...

By Americas film-rating logic, it's OK to allow anybody to watch people being cut to pieces, guts and blood spilling everywhere, with some tits on display... But the second you show scenes of graphic sex and full-frontal nudity, you've crossed the line and your film is considered inappropriate, and therefore receives a limited & restrictive theatrical distribution.

Recently Fox Searchlight's (who distributed the film in America) President Steve Gilula said:

"I think NC-17 is a badge of honor, not a scarlet letter. We believe it is time for the rating to become usable in a serious manner."

I agree.

Last edited by I am Tetsuo; 01-15-2012 at 10:52 AM.
I am Tetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Luckie94
Fresh Kill

Luckie94 is avoiding homework

I am DYING to watch this. We only have one 'indie' film theater in our town, and it has two screens. When we do get movies like this, they come very late. I'm probably going to e-mail them to ask if they're getting 'Shame' eventually.
Luckie94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
I am Tetsuo
Fresh Kill

Location: A place where a man's worth is measured in the ears hanging from his dog tags... The real deep shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckie94 View Post
I am DYING to watch this. We only have one 'indie' film theater in our town, and it has two screens. When we do get movies like this, they come very late. I'm probably going to e-mail them to ask if they're getting 'Shame' eventually.
Ask them if they'd be willing to do a matinee, showing Hunger & Shame back-to-back... That would be an amazing viewing experience.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Luckie94
Fresh Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Tetsuo View Post
Ask them if they'd be willing to do a matinee, showing Hunger & Shame back-to-back... That would be an amazing viewing experience.
That would be fun... not sure though if they'd have both films. Just sent out an e-mail. *crosses finger*.

If not, I'll just wait for Netflix or iTunes.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
morrisseylikesburgers
Rotting Corpse

morrisseylikesburgers is already dead.

Quote:
"I think NC-17 is a badge of honor, not a scarlet letter. We believe it is time for the rating to become usable in a serious manner."

This sounds pretty good. I've only heard good things about Hunger, I need to get around to watching it.
morrisseylikesburgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Hunger on the big screen......no thanks. Not that it's bad by any means, but do you really want to see all that, up close and personal? I'd probably puke in my popcorn. This Steve Mcqueen fella, is hard-fucking-core.

I'm sure this will be great. I'm convinced that Micheal Fassbender can do no wrong.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
horrorking95
Rotting Corpse

horrorking95 is singing Believe! BY CHER!

Send a message via MSN to horrorking95

"Hunger" definitely showed excellent signs for Steve Mcqueen as a director. It was beautifully shot and expertedly directed it was just a shame (no pun intended) about the content which was a bit of a mess, but a nice mess to look at. Also didn't like how the film made us sympathise with the IRA.

"Shame" does look promising though. However, I've heard things about scenes being long and boring (like in "Hunger) so we'll see.

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/
horrorking95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Luckie94
Fresh Kill

Just got the email.

Hopefully. *We've been showing the trailer and have the posters on display. *It all depends on the distributor, the play date & their plans for this area. *We'll know more in a week. *Thanks for checking!
Chris

Sweeeeet.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
I am Tetsuo
Fresh Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorking95 View Post
"Shame" does look promising though. However, I've heard things about scenes being long and boring (like in "Hunger) so we'll see.
Shame, like Hunger, is an art-house film, no doubt about it... The long continuous takes used in Hunger are also used in Shame. This is clearly going to be part of McQueens directing style and will most likely be used in his future projects.

From a technical stand-point, these sort of shots are very skillful and hard to pull off. It requires good actors, a lot of rehearsal, patience and care to do these sort of things in the cinematic medium and is usually only done in art-house films.

Another brilliant film that uses long continuous takes, to great effect, is Gaspar No's 'Enter the Void'.

Basically, if you're not really in to the technicalities and processes of film-making, I can see how you might find these sorts of shots boring... However, In my opinion I think shots like these enhance the quality of a film and display the skill and attention-to-detail of the film's director.

Last edited by I am Tetsuo; 01-15-2012 at 08:14 PM.
I am Tetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
horrorking95
Rotting Corpse

horrorking95 is singing Believe! BY CHER!

Send a message via MSN to horrorking95

I saw this film recently and it blew me away!

9/10

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/
horrorking95 is offline   Reply With Quote