Near Dark (1987) - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Golden Age

Golden Age Horror movies from the 1960's - 1980's.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #21
SirStoneyOfBow
It... Won't... Die...

SirStoneyOfBow is gonna jook you with his jook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmaldi
Also good to see Paxton and Goldstein reunited from Aliens (Hicks/Hudson?? and Vasquez) think they made this movie just after that came out. She looks so much different from Aliens.
He was Hudson man!
And dont forget Lance Hendriksen(Bishop the Android)...
Old 02-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #22
Jayy
It... Won't... Die...

Jayy is in bed with Lindy Booth aboard the Sulaco.

Near Dark is a good movie. I need to add that to my collection.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #23
EmotionlessReality
The Living Dead

EmotionlessReality is going to be banned very soon from this site...

Send a message via AIM to EmotionlessReality

This was one of my first rentals at blockbuster on my movie pass. It was alright. I was expecting something a little cooler, but it was decent.

John Bonham playing Moby Dick for real!

Is it November 3rd yet?
EmotionlessReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #24
kiddcapone
BANNED

kiddcapone has no status.

For years I heard how great Near Dark was. I finally got around to watching it last night.

If not for a few scenes, this movie would have been complete shit.

The writing is FUCKING TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. Near Dark rivals Stephen King in the WORST ENDING department. These fuckers can live FOREVER...UNLESS, of course, they receive a blood transfusion. Come the fuck on. Somehow the blood is responsible for superhuman strength and the ability to live forever.

None of them can seem to predict when the sun will come out. I guess none of them had watches. They burn up in the sun and become black char but easily wipe it off like black paint only seconds later. They CAN'T die from bullets and such but yet Bill Paxton dies from a truck exploding. The little kid runs into the sunlight chasing after Caleb's sister for no apparent valid reason. Lance and his chick pull a Thelma and Louise and drive into the sunlight to their death for not reason what-so-ever. I guess none of them ever heard of FIGHT-ANOTHER-DAY. They had several decades of experience hiding from the sun, but they didn't bring any of the protection at the end. Oh yeah, out of the 1000's of motels, they just happen to be staying at the same motel as Caleb's dad and sister who are looking for them. Wow.

It's like they said "how the fuck are we going to wrap this up ??". They went for the dumbest easiest method of killing off the entire family and ending the film on a HAPPY ending. Pathetic. The more I think about it, the more I'm hating this. You people should be ashamed for comparing this to Lost Boys.
kiddcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #25
juliajothika
Not Dead Yet

juliajothika has no status.

This is one of my favourite movie. I saw this movie with my friend in mid night show. We did not speak any thing. My friend got fever that night. I cant forget this movie in my life.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #26
licata1708
It... Won't... Die...

licata1708 has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddcapone
For years I heard how great Near Dark was. I finally got around to watching it last night.

The writing is FUCKING TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. Near Dark rivals Stephen King in the WORST ENDING department. These fuckers can live FOREVER...UNLESS, of course, they receive a blood transfusion. Come the fuck on. Somehow the blood is responsible for superhuman strength and the ability to live forever.

None of them can seem to predict when the sun will come out. I guess none of them had watches. They burn up in the sun and become black char but easily wipe it off like black paint only seconds later. They CAN'T die from bullets and such but yet Bill Paxton dies from a truck exploding. The little kid runs into the sunlight chasing after Caleb's sister for no apparent valid reason. Lance and his chick pull a Thelma and Louise and drive into the sunlight to their death for not reason what-so-ever. I guess none of them ever heard of FIGHT-ANOTHER-DAY. They had several decades of experience hiding from the sun, but they didn't bring any of the protection at the end. Oh yeah, out of the 1000's of motels, they just happen to be staying at the same motel as Caleb's dad and sister who are looking for them. Wow.

It's like they said "how the fuck are we going to wrap this up ??". They went for the dumbest easiest method of killing off the entire family and ending the film on a HAPPY ending. Pathetic. The more I think about it, the more I'm hating this. You people should be ashamed for comparing this to Lost Boys.

Massive damn spoiler alert would have been nice Kid

licata1708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:56 PM   #27
Room 237
Rotting Corpse

Room 237 is Fatally Yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddcapone

I absolutely agree with some of your points, although i certainly dont feel as strongly as you - i actually quite like this film (one of the few i like Paxton in).

What i will say (and catch some shit for) as far as the writing and directing is concerned is that it is one of the very few genre films that a female had creative control. Not that this would translate into a bad film or anything, but i couldn't help but notice the sappy love story and romanticization (spelling??) of the story takes precedence over the rest of the plot...much like an Anne Rice novel (even though i love most of her work).

I honestly just felt some of the brutality was given second fiddle to some rather poor love elements..which in turn affects some of the plot holes which kiddcapone points out...

Infini-tropolis I the blood & the blade

Last edited by Room 237; 08-26-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Room 237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:11 PM   #28
wvu420
Rotting Corpse

wvu420 has no status.

Send a message via AIM to wvu420

I'm watching this right now. Aside from From Dusk Til Dawn and The Lost Boys, it's my favorite vampire movie.

The DVD Collection
wvu420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:09 PM   #29
zombi splatter
Not Dead Yet

zombi splatter has no status.

weak ending or not this movie still kicks ass.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you."
myspace.com/jdtevil
zombi splatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:21 PM   #30
chupacabraV2
Rotting Corpse

chupacabraV2 has no status.

I thought it was a great vampire movie. No doubt the ending was thrown together without much thought. This is not my Favorite Vampire movie but in the top 5. Paxton by Armbar

chupacabraV2 is offline   Reply With Quote