The Evil Dead (2013) Remake - Page 172 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #1711
Zander Noriega
Not Dead Yet

Zander Noriega has no status.

The first one was not "straight horror" (if by that one means horror without comedy). They deliberately tried to make it funny.

So, I don't know about "caricature", but of course the first Evil Dead was also a comedy. It's obvious not only from the fact that, well, it's fucking funny, but also because it literally was one of Sam Raimi's goals, to have comedy in it.
Zander Noriega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #1712
Se7en
The Bad Guy

Se7en is your favorite wigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
You're 19 or something, right? The original was not a "characature". It was one of the most gruesome horror flicks of it's time, and ended up on the dreaded "film nasty" list, and was banned in certain areas. Yes, it's easy to look at it today, and wonder what all the fuss was about. Back then though, it absolutely disgusted most who watched it. It's "cult" status is more about it being one of the first extreme horror flicks, that pushed all the boundaries. The campyness of the film was not intentional. It's just shitty acting.

Raimi's goal for the first film was to make a truly horrific film. It wasn't until the sequels, where he made them into a joke, with a wise cracking hero.
Didn't Raimi want to make a funny gross horror movie that would be a success at Drive-Ins and shit so he could go on and do other things?

It's pretty horrifying and gross but like I said, that isn't synonymous with being scary, at all. And lets not act like the Evil Dead legacy is based on what peoples reactions were back in 1981. Caricature might have been the wrong word for what I was trying to describe but it was like five AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage01 View Post
I'm not sure how you didn't find it scary yet love rubbish like the Conjuring. You really did not think the scene where the chick is stalked and then raped in the woods by the trees as scary and disturbing?
The Conjuring isn't scary either. There are few films in this world that manage to have any more effect than a creepy walk back to my dorm after I watch it. I just can't take you seriously when you talk about Cinematography and don't acknowledge how great The Conjuring was in that aspect.

I'm aware that for the time the rape scene was cool, fresh, and disturbing but it's not now. Watched it this year and it was more funny than anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander Noriega View Post
The first one was not "straight horror" (if by that one means horror without comedy). They deliberately tried to make it funny.

So, I don't know about "caricature", but of course the first Evil Dead was also a comedy. It's obvious not only from the fact that, well, it's fucking funny, but also because it literally was one of Sam Raimi's goals, to have comedy in it.
Yeah, the only thing that I enjoyed from the original were the practical effects and the comedy. If I saw it as a "straight up horror" then It wouldn't have worked for me (And I assume a lot of other people who went in with the same mindset).
Old 01-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #1713
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en Sins View Post
Didn't Raimi want to make a funny gross horror movie that would be a success at Drive-Ins and shit so he could go on and do other things?
The humour in the first movie was not intentional. Tell me one funny bit in that movie, that wasn't a result of hammy, amateur acting, or it's low budget?

Raimi wanted to make a cheap movie, to make a profit and get his foot in the door of the industry.

Quote:
It's pretty horrifying and gross but like I said, that isn't synonymous with being scary, at all.
We can go on about definitions of "scary" all day long. Point is, it was intended as a pure horror movie. Not a horror/comedy like the sequels.

Quote:
And lets not act like the Evil Dead legacy is based on what peoples reactions were back in 1981. Caricature might have been the wrong word for what I was trying to describe but it was like five AM.
It wasn't a parody, or some clever commentary on the trends in horror movies at the time either, if that's what you're getting at. It was just a horror movie. That's it.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:47 PM   #1714
Se7en
The Bad Guy

Se7en is your favorite wigger

Quote:
We can go on about definitions of "scary" all day long. Point is, it was intended as a pure horror movie. Not a horror/comedy like the sequels.
Intention doesn't always lie with outcome. Whether Raimi wanted it to be funny or not is completely irrelevant as that's how it turned out.

Quote:
It wasn't a parody, or some clever commentary on the trends in horror movies at the time either, if that's what you're getting at. It was just a horror movie. That's it.
Yeah that wasn't what I was suggesting at all. Should have my reply better.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #1715
Zander Noriega
Not Dead Yet

Quote:
The humour in the first movie was not intentional.
Yes, yes it was.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #1716
Mirage01
Not Dead Yet

Mirage01 has no status.

Quote:
Yes, yes it was.
There was very little humour in it. The only moments were maybe when the demons were hamming it up a bit. Whatever humour there was, is far out weighed by the horror.

Last edited by Mirage01; 01-02-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Mirage01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #1717
Mmagot
Fresh Kill

Mmagot is Harvesting The Garden

Send a message via AIM to Mmagot

Quote:
Yes, yes it was.
I agree with you lol I laughed many times in the first one even though it wasn't meant to be a comedy. Ive seen many sites where they list evil dead as a horror / comedy
Old 01-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #1718
Mirage01
Not Dead Yet

Mirage01 has no status.

Quote:

The Conjuring isn't scary either. There are few films in this world that manage to have any more effect than a creepy walk back to my dorm after I watch it. I just can't take you seriously when you talk about Cinematography and don't acknowledge how great The Conjuring was in that aspect.
You maybe have a misunderstanding of what 'scary' is. It does not mean you are literally scared and frightened like a little kid, but rather just find it thrilling or creepy. Conjuring was sesame stuff in a nice clean house, with no threats, so there was nothing to scare or creep me out.

The basic premise of The evil dead was scary to begin with.

Quote:
I'm aware that for the time the rape scene was cool, fresh, and disturbing but it's not now. Watched it this year and it was more funny than anything
?

Funny? What was funny about it exactly?? Why isn't it disturbing now? What advances in film since then make it less disturbing? the buckets of blood we keep getting?

Quote:
If I saw it as a "straight up horror" then It wouldn't have worked for me (And I assume a lot of other people who went in with the same mindset).
You assume wrong. if it failed as a horror movie to a lot of people it would have been quickly forgotten, not a cult classic. I find it really funny how something like the Conjuring worked for you but The Evil dead original did not.'

The only explanation I have for it is you were too focused and distracted by the low budget, which for me was irrelevant and just enhanced the gritty realism.
Mirage01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #1719
Mmagot
Fresh Kill

Mmagot is Harvesting The Garden

Send a message via AIM to Mmagot

for its time it was scary but have anyone really watch it now and its nothing. When I first saw it I was all excited for a super scary movie but then it disappointed me when I found myself laughing more then actually jumping or being scared.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #1720
Zander Noriega
Not Dead Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage01 View Post
There was very little humour in it. The only moments were maybe when the demons were hamming it up a bit. Whatever humour there was, is far out weighed by the horror.
I wasn't referring to the quantity of humour.

I was just countering the claims about it being a "straight horror" film and that the humour was not intentional, by linking to a video of Sam Raimi mentioning that it was intentional and literally saying "it's a comedy and a horror movie", and moreover saying that the sequel "should be just as entertaining and funny".

So, now that the claim that the humour in the original Evil Dead wasn't intended/intentional/etc or was completely a side-effect of the budget is proven to be wrong, the remaining possible argument you could make is something like: "regardless of what Raimi says about the intent, the resulting film did not have almost any humour in it! I did not laugh more than N times". But then that turns the discussion into an uninteresting taste/personal sensibility thing. Some people find certain things funny, others don't.