The Loved Ones - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Foreign Horror

Foreign Horror Discussion for horror films from non US markets

Old 10-10-2010, 01:33 AM   #21
_Boss_
Fresh Kill

_Boss_ has no status.

Wow, just watched this movie. Now this is a must see, not something like that "Frozen" bullshit ppl are raving about.

This was a great movie, well acted, messed up story, a little blood and gore. It has it all. Definately recommend this gem to anyone.

8/10

• La Horde- 6/10
  • The Loved Ones - 8/10
  • American Mary - 4.5/10
  • Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre - 2/10
  • I Spit On Your Grave(2010) - 7.5/10
  • The Human Centipede - 6.5/10
  • Serbian Film - 9/10
_Boss_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #22
CountOrlok
BANNED

CountOrlok is not giving a flying fuck

I just saw it and it's f'king awesome! Maybe the best torture movie I've ever seen, next to Martyrs.

I'll also give it 8/10.
CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #23
Tyger
The Living Dead

Tyger has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Tyger

Just when the whole torture theme was becoming stale, along comes The Loved Ones. I really enjoyed this movie. Darkly funny, but definatly not a horror comedy. Brutal, but not gratuitous, a lot is left to your imagination which makes the violence all the more effective. The drill scene alone got to me more than anything in Hostel and you barely even see it make contact. It's great to see a horror movie that can be light hearted fun one minute and then turn down right nasty the next. The Loved Ones far exceeded my expectations, check it out as soon as you can.
Tyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #24
Robin
Fresh Kill

Robin has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
a lot is left to your imagination which makes the violence all the more effective.
Why do I read this every day? It's always "a lot is left to your imagination and that's what makes the violence more effective".

The thing is - I can't see how showing explicit violence makes something LESS effective or frightening. Only because explicit violence is always used in shitty slasher movies and the movies with excellent scripts decide not to show anything it doesn't automatically mean cutting out the violence makes the movie better! To show you what I mean, an example: John Carpenter's Halloween is my favorite horror movie of all time. It's got such a great creepy atmosphere. The score, the fact that you don't see a lot of Myers, everything! It's amazing. But I can't really see how the fact that you don't really see any blood adds to the awesomeness of it. I mean seeing Michael stabbing his sister would only terrify me even more!

I would love to see a scary, effective, clever little flick that keeps us terrified and then STILL shows us the bloody goods!

Oh, sorry for being off-topic. This was on my heart. :P

Last edited by Robin; 10-12-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #25
CountOrlok
BANNED

CountOrlok is not giving a flying fuck

This movie has plenty of gore to satisfy the average horror fan. And there is quite alot of nasty violence and bloody moments.
CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #26
Liono
Not Dead Yet

Liono has no status.

This is one of the better horror movies I've seen lately. Good gore, good acting, and it also has some nice twists.
Liono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #27
Gabberhouse24
The Living Dead

Gabberhouse24 is right behind you.

I loved it, Robin McLeavy (Lola) was perfect and I can't wait to see her in something else. There was one little flaw,
Spoiler Below
they redressed him but put his razor blade necklace in his back pocket?
, however it didn't take away from the film at all in my opinion, especially because it lead to a whole bunch of fun.

I suggest everyone check this one out as soon as you get the chance.
Gabberhouse24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #28
boy, interrupted
Fresh Kill

boy, interrupted has no status.

This was really great. Funny, scary, good twist.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #29
menasyng
BANNED

menasyng is banned.

A surprisingly good film. I went into it thinking that it was going to be another let down, but it was enjoyable through and through. The two leads (played by Xaiver Samuel and Robin McLeavy) were well played. Especially McLeavy's portrayal of the extremely damaged goods known as Lola a.k.a "Princess." It was eerie to say the least. Her shinning moment, for me at least, would be the "cry" scene. That was an intense 35 seconds. Her subtle facial expressions really brought that scene into a new realm of crazy.

All in all, I recommend this to any fan of horror. Even though it had a few laughable scenes (in a good way - the tree scene), it was a strong effort. It was reminiscent of the old abduction films from the late 70s and early 80s. Aussie Horror at it's best.

4/5
menasyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #30
Deadly Fiend
Demigod

Deadly Fiend has no status.

Enjoyed the hell out of this. Great gore, interesting acting/characters, and a very fucked up plot.

One of the best horror films to come out in awhile.